Tuning Information for Plugins

Jope

Tuning Logic's synthesizers is simple via the project settings->tuning. If I just like a' to sound at 434Hz: Turn down the fader to -24 (or type -23.8) cents, and here we go... As long as Logic's built-in synthesizers are concerned.

I use some third-party plugins quite often... And this makes it somewhat more complicated. (Aside: I could hardly believe it at first, but there are actually plugins that don't provide any tuning capabilities at all!). Fortunately, my favourite plugins do have a master tuning fader or knob, so it's a little bit more work, I have to adjust this for every plugin, but that's ok.

Now Modartt's Pianoteq has a "MIDI tuning" option, and if I activate it, any movement of Logic's "Software Instrument Pitch" fader tunes Pianoteq. If I were to like using different scales: Even microtuning data are transferred! But. Sometimes at startup or when (for whatever reason) the plugin is reloaded, MIDI tuning does not happen. Why? But the underlying question is: What does Logic do in order to tell plugins about the tuning, when does it do so, and how could I force these messages to be sent? Is it real MIDI information? I didn't find details in Logic's documentation.