David Nahmani: Logic Pro X - next steps

Neil Gilmartin

This is a question for David, really.

Have you considered doing a book that delves even deeper into some of the relatively common - but not quite common enough to merit being in an introductory book - features of Logic? For example, getting into how to mix drum kit pieces individually using the Producer Kits, setting up parallel processing to get bigger kick and snare sounds, why you might want to use a master bus before the stereo output, exploring MIDI Transform, a closer look at the Track Inspector... Topics which are more niche, in other words, but not that niche. I found your 10.4 and 10.5 books to be very helpful, all the more so when going through them for a second time. (It's amazing what you forget).

I don't know...I guess it's a bit of a risk to try publishing for what will likely be a smaller market. But thought you might be interested to hear that there's at least one person out there who would be interested in that book!

Yes, I've been thinking about this for a while. In fact back when I first approached Apple many many years ago it was with the idea of writing an advanced book. I pitched it however they had other ideas in mind, to rewrite the beginner book, and I ended up finding the exercise even more challenging and somehow more exciting. And as you pointed out, it's definitely a much larger market.

So not out of the question, but not exactly on my radar either. Or perhaps one day in the form of an online course or blog, but probably not a book.

Thanks for suggesting it though! Exciting to hear that someone would be interested by it! :D

• 10 months later...
Hey David When I upgraded to macOS big sur version 11.8 a couple weeks ago, my logic pro X 10.0.4 suddenly got weird. The mute and solo buttons now appear upside down, and the sliders in the Inspector for gain are now re-positioned in a weird way that hides other parts of the Inspector. How can I fix this? Alternately, if I have to upgrade and buy a higher version of Logic Pro X, i want to make sure this new version fixes the problem and don't want to spend $200 and be stuck with the same problem. If logic pro 10.6 or 10.7 fails to fix the weird graphic interface glitches, can I get a refund? Thoughts?

Yes, I've been thinking about this for a while. In fact back when I first approached Apple many many years ago it was with the idea of writing an advanced book. I pitched it however they had other ideas in mind, to rewrite the beginner book, and I ended up finding the exercise even more challenging and somehow more exciting. And as you pointed out, it's definitely a much larger market.

So not out of the question, but not exactly on my radar either. Or perhaps one day in the form of an online course or blog, but probably not a book.

Thanks for suggesting it though! Exciting to hear that someone would be interested by it! :D

Here's an idea.

I'd pay for that. I'm just saying... :mrgreen:

Hey David When I upgraded to macOS big sur version 11.8 a couple weeks ago, my logic pro X 10.0.4 suddenly got weird. The mute and solo buttons now appear upside down, and the sliders in the Inspector for gain are now re-positioned in a weird way that hides other parts of the Inspector. How can I fix this? Alternately, if I have to upgrade and buy a higher version of Logic Pro X, i want to make sure this new version fixes the problem and don't want to spend $200 and be stuck with the same problem. If logic pro 10.6 or 10.7 fails to fix the weird graphic interface glitches, can I get a refund? Thoughts?

Yeah, this isn't related to the OP.

Look, you have two options, go back to your previous OSX so you can get Logic X 10.0.4 working again.

Next option, delete Logic 10.0.4, log into your Apple account and get Logic 10.7.1 on Big Sur and no, you don't pay for anything, Logic 10.7.1 is free for you since you have a legal copy of Logic 10.0.4.