Separate Buss Ouput for headphone eq correction

Stabb

Hi,

I sometimes have been using the Waves NX plugin to load their eq curve for my Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

But I almost always forget to turn it off when bouncing a mix.

Is there a way to send the same mix as my stereo buss to another buss where i can load the NX plugin and send that buss to the other output of my Apollo Twin Duo?

I would like to monitor on my headphones with the NX but still have the main stereo buss without the NX.

So my headphone output always has the NX on it but the main stereo buss does not.

Is this possible?

Thank You!

Kevin

, providing that you have enough outputs on your soundcard (audio interface-s), I guess it's only a matter to split your mix from an Aux using Sends; one bussing to your Stereo Output (1 & 2) and the other to another set of outputs (3 & 4). (1 & 2) with the NX plugin, (3 & 4) without it.

Hi Atlas007,

Thank you for your input!

I should have been more specific.

I do have outputs I can use on my Apollo that I can connect to the cue input of my Presonus Monitor Station, which I can then listen to with headphones - while my stereo buss can still be connected to my main monitors.

How can I send my mix to outputs 3 & 4 (with the NX plugin instantiated) of my interface without having to creating a send on each channel?

Like if I were to take a mult out of the stereo buss.

Also, sorry, I google up 'IIUW' but couldn't find anything that I thought it might be.

Please excuse my ignorance but what does 'IIUW' mean?

Thank You!

How can I send my mix to outputs 3 & 4 (with the NX plugin instantiated) of my interface without having to creating a send on each channel?

The easiest way to set that up in Logic is to use a Bus as your summing (mix bus). So instead of having all your tracks outputs set to Stereo Out, you have them all set to, for example, Bus 1.

Now you can have two Aux channel strips with their inputs set to Bus 1, and their outputs set to, respectively, Stereo Out and Outputs 3-4.

The easiest way to set that up in Logic is to use a Bus as your summing (mix bus). So instead of having all your tracks outputs set to Stereo Out, you have them all set to, for example, Bus 1.

Now you can have two Aux channel strips with their inputs set to Bus 1, and their outputs set to, respectively, Stereo Out and Outputs 3-4.

Hi David,

Let me see if I got this right.

All tracks/channels including submixes' output gets assigned to Bus 1 (now Aux 1 in mixer).

Create another Aux ch (Aux 2) and assign input of Aux 2 to Bus 1.

So now I have 2 channels - Aux 1 and Aux 2 with the same input - Bus 1.

Aux 1 output to Stereo Output for monitoring on monitor speakers and bouncing main mix.

Aux 2 output to Output 3-4 (with NX plugin instantiated) for headphone monitoring

Correct?

I would also have to duplicate the plugin setup (mixbus compression, eq, etc) on both Aux 1 and 2, correct?

Thank You!

Correct.

If you don't want to duplicate the plug-in setup, keep only Aux 1 with its input set to Bus 1. Insert all mixbus compression etc on Aux 1. Set the output of Aux 1 to Bus 2. Make sure you have two Auxes that have their inputs set to Bus 2, one that outputs to Stereo Out and the other to Output 3-4.

OK Thank You David!

Whew, at first I was confused but I got it.

Its basically using Bus 2 split as a mult from Bus 1 (I'm old school, come from working on a console).

I just have to get used to seeing 5 channels of stereo output - Bus 1, the 2 mults Aux's coming out of Bus 1, my regular stereo out, and the headphone out!

I was thinking of hiding the 'mult' channels but I would forget about them and probably get messed up somehow.

I've been going back and forth with the headphone eq correction, trying to figure out if I need it.

Always forgetting to turn it off was one reason not to use it.

Thanks again David!!!

Aloha from Hawaii,

Kevin