Audio Engine not able to process all required data in time

ekahouse

Hi, I am new to the forum but not new to Logic. My system has been working for years and it never gets connected to the internet. My computer is a Mac Pro 4,1 266HZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16 GB Ram, A 120 G SSD internal drive for the system and applications (87G free), a separate internal HD ( 640GB) for audio with 509GB free. My OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. My Logic Pro is 8.02. I know these are old versions but I haven't needed more features and they have been very stable for years. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120.

My problem is recently I have been getting the message;

System Overload

The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time (-10011)

Logic Pro comes to a halt. I have the CPU and HD I/O meters up in a separate window and neither are more than half way up when the message shows up. I have spotlight turned off for the audio HD so no Spotlight indexing can take place. I never let hard disks sleep or screen savers activate. The buffer in Logic Pro audio pref has always been at 64, range medium. I have turned sample accurate automation off but haven't run the program yet. I am not sure how this will help as the CPU, according to the meters is not taxed at all.

The last power on self test was today and it passed.

My question is this; What does it indicate If the meters show no strain at all on the CPU or HD but the message "The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time (-10011)" shows up and the program stops running?

With sessions starting up again Monday morning any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The Mac Pro is never connected to the internet. I use it as a stand alone workstation so no browsers open. I have Logic's meters open in a separate window and neither the CPU or HD i/o meters are any where near the top. I will look at the activity monitor! didn't think of that. I have turned off (clicked private) for Spotlight for the audio hard drive so I believe no indexing from Spotlight is occurring. Is this correct? Are there other parts of the system that need to index the drives? Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Activity Monitor as Angelonyc suggested above. Both the Activity monitor and Logic's CPU and HD i/o monitors show no strain on the CPU or HD. This is an intermittent problem that started recently (the worst kind of problem as it doesn't happen predictably). Changing the buffer size doesn't seem to make any difference. I am beginning to suspect a hard drive issue, as in beginning to fail. My main question is this; is there other processes in the OS that go on in the background that could cause an overload that both the Activity Monitor utility and Logic's CPU and HD meters won't show?

• 3 weeks later...

New development in the problem mentioned above. "Audio Engine not able to process all required data in time." (-10011).

I suspected a hard drive about to fail. After a new 1TB hard drive with nothing on it except the current project the problem happened again. I had the Logic meters open in a separate window. I was cycling a chorus for rehearsing. The song ran fine for about 15 minutes. The CPU meters all staying in the orange. The Disk I/O meter always near the bottom. When the song came to a halt and the dreaded "Audio Engine not able to process all required data in time." (-10011) message showed, the meters were frozen in their position when the Audio Engine stopped. The Disk I/O meter was near the bottom (as always). But the CPU meters did indicate overload (red). Meters 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 were red. Meter 2 was 1 segment below red. Meter 7 was 2 segments above orange into the yellow. Meter 8 was about 8 segments from the bottom.

My questions are these;

1. After cycling the same part many times and all meters, both CPU and Disk I/O, showing no strain, what can change that can cause the CPU meters to spike?

2. Is there some updating going on in the background in the Mac OS (10.6.8) that could stress the Audio Engine? (Spotlight is turned off for this drive)

3. Is there some updating going on in the background in Fab Filter plugins that might stress the Audio Engine?

This problem doesn't happen often but when recording it will delete or not save the current take. This has happened only once but I am very motivated to keep it from happening again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and replying. If it is a plugin it is very inconsistent as this problem only happens after playing fine for a long time. If the plugin, in my case Fab filter, does some sort of update once in a while maybe it could be the issue but I don't know if this is the case with Fab Filter plugins.

Thanks again! I have bypassed all the plugins but haven't tried removing them from the folder. I would still like to know if something is updating in the OS or the Fab Filter plugins that causes the Audio engine overload as all works well for the majority of the time. Because it isn't a regularly occurring issue it is hard to perform experiments witch result in conclusions!