Pop up advertisements...

Hey guys, is there a way to stop the pop-up advertisements from occurring? It's driving me nuts. :P Thanks!

There shouldn't be pop-ups as in windows popping up? On the other hand yes, we do have ads coming up within the content of the page and sometimes shifting the content downward, I'm afraid we have to live with it, that's how I monetize the website to support the cost and effort of hosting and running this site.

I don't mind the ads, just that the page is shifting downward and upward, as you mentioned. All is good. :)

Right. I'm with you. Not ideal, unfortunately yes, the cost of running the site. Many people have suggested a subscription fee instead, but in the end when it came to it most weren't ready to actually pay for it, so I found it best to keep the site free and monetize it with adverts. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope you keep seeing the value in it despite the ads.

I don't mind the ads, just that the page is shifting downward and upward, as you mentioned.

Page shifts are the worst. Often on the iPad, I'm touching the field to reply and the thing jumps offscreen as I do it. Bloody wack-a-mole! Also, once I've finally caught the reply box, often I can't focus the reply box try as I might for ten or twenty seconds, probably because some ad content is blocking it.

Google will start penalising sites with content shift from next year, it's part of a new range of web metrics, and hopefully this will force content owners to improve this, as the user experience is terrible. (I understand and can live with ads, but excess content shift is awful, imo...)

Edited by des99

• 5 weeks later...
Hey guys, is there a way to stop the pop-up advertisements from occurring? It's driving me nuts. :P Thanks!

There shouldn't be pop-ups as in windows popping up? On the other hand yes, we do have ads coming up within the content of the page and sometimes shifting the content downward, I'm afraid we have to live with it, that's how I monetize the website to support the cost and effort of hosting and running this site.

Why not try and just have the advertising on the right. Right now they are popping up all over the place & moving the website around. It's really bad!!! Can't focus, and makes for a really bad experience here! Ads are at the top, at the bottom, at the side, in between comments. This is ridiculous! Ok to advertise David, but this is WAY OVER THE TOP!

This has been a very good place for Logic users, however now it feels like a bombardment of Ads everywhere you look! You can do way better with this David. You have been such a help to so many of us, I hope you get this back to a professional looking website, and not an advertisement grave yard!

Why not try and just have the advertising on the right. Right now they are popping up all over the place & moving the website around. It's really bad!!! Can't focus, and makes for a really bad experience here! Ads are at the top, at the bottom, at the side, in between comments. This is ridiculous! Ok to advertise David, but this is WAY OVER THE TOP!

This has been a very good place for Logic users, however now it feels like a bombardment of Ads everywhere you look! You can do way better with this David. You have been such a help to so many of us, I hope you get this back to a professional looking website, and not an advertisement grave yard!

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with the site micdim. May I ask, what kind of screen are you using to browse the site, are you on a Mac (what size screen), iPad, iPhone?

Thanks for sharing that info and your screenshot, it does help me realize what it looks like for different screen configs etc. Note that you can dismiss the sticky add at the bottom of your screen: there's an X at the top right. As for the adds in the middle of the content, those represent a massive part of our income so I cannot unfortunately do without them at the moment.

You can only dismiss it temporarily. Same with any other Ad. I can't even finish a response without the view being rearranged with another Ad coming in & losing where my response is. As soon as I move onto another page or 2nd screen etc., of a conversation all Ads come back. Also now I also see videos playing all over the place. The screen once again changing as new Ads/commercials play. Absolutely horrible experience. Let's not forget all the 43 plus trackers this site uses to track everyone. I have the say this site now looks like a spam haven.

Sorry David I don't want to sound unappreciative or disrespectful, just giving it to you straight!

Ok great I appreciate your feedback micdim and I am working with the advertisers to try to minimize the intrusive nature of the ads and trackers for the user experience. Once again sorry for the bad experience, but rest assured I'm always working hard to try and make it as easy and comfortable as possible for users to get a quality experience.