How to turn an X-Touch mini as a mixer controller

JoshJ

You're trying to change a designed in behaviour of a controller and how it relates to Logic's parameters. You'll have to go into the Controller Assignments, and understand the behaviour of you controller - what buttons you press put you in what modes, and what assignments you'll need to create or change to support whatever custom behaviour you want.

Generally speaking, the behaviour of control surfaces (as opposed to generic MIDI controllers) is designed from the factory to work in a particular way, so changing this to do something else is possible (as you can get at the controller assignments and change them) but it is often not trivial, as it requires a good understanding of how controller assignments are used to create zones, modes, press buttons to change modes so different assignments respond, and so on.

What you want to do should be possible, but it will take a bit of work to understand what's going on and how to implement whatever custom handling you want.

I don't know much about the X-Touch Mini, but I presume it *is* a control surface, and not just a generic MIDI controller?

I understand Controller Assignments quite well (zones, modes, press buttons to change modes, as you mentioned). I just dont know how to setup this specific assignment. The X-Touch is a MCP device but I presume i will be using it without MCP, as a basic midi controller in order to setup this custom behaviour. Do you have a control surface? Is there any change you could send me a screenshot of the Assignment Window settings of one of your fader and also you bank L/R buttons? (ie, touch a fader and then screenshot the settings so I can see what settings are used)

I can't tell you what settings to make as I have neither your controller, nor it's MIDI specs, and nor do I really know exactly what you want to do. Nor, you controller will not send the exact same MIDI messages as any of mine, so screenshots of my own varied custom settings will be entirely useless. Yes, I have *many* controllers operating as MC devices, including real ones, fake ones, and my own custom software that behaves as a virtual Mackie device, and I consider myself to be pretty informed and experienced with controller assignments in Logic in general.

Your device cannot be both a control surface *and* a generic MIDI controller, unless it lets you flip between both modes and transmits each side on different MIDI ports. It probably doesn't, which means you are stuck with dealing with controller assignments (which you'd likely have to do with a generic controller anyway - it's just there would be no interfering with existing functionality to integrate or break).

So, as I said above, you'll need to check it's behaviour and implement these in the way that makes most sense - either by altering it's existing behaviour, or "overloading" it, perhaps by choosing a button to, for example, put you in a User mode and then learn all your custom assignments to that. As you're familiar with all that stuff, you should find that straightforward enough.

I went through a similar thread about this not too long ago (another Behringer device as I recall). that's worth reading through as it has similar requirements and issues as your case.

Ok, if you are happy to switch modes (I refer to this above), then you can use it in this manner. I think it still transmits on the same MIDI port though regardless of the mode it's in, which is a bit of a pain, because Logic will think is a control surface port (as it has that port assigned to a control surface, even though the control surface isn't responding).

So, in order to not mess the existing MC stuff up, you have to make sure that whatever MIDI commands you send are different from what the controller sends in MC mode, otherwise those assignments will respond. So, once you've made sure that none of the controls are triggering the MC control assignments and don't interfere with them, then you can just create custom assignments for whatever behaviour you want just as you normally would for any MIDI controller.

The device is working with Logic fine already. My question was about how to setup banking in the Controller Assignments window, so that I can setup bank L/R buttons and every time I hit them my x-touch knobs will move over to the next bank of faders in Logic. Just the same as how fader banking on any Control Surface works

The device is working with Logic fine already. My question was about how to setup banking in the Controller Assignments window, so that I can setup bank L/R buttons and every time I hit them my x-touch knobs will move over to the next bank of faders in Logic. Just the same as how fader banking on any Control Surface works

Fundamentally, no different to anything else - learn your message, and for it's destination pick whatever target you want from the menus.

The thing to realise though is that Fader Bank is a Control Surface parameter, so you have to have an active control surface available otherwise you won't be able to access that parameter (or at least that used to be the case, might be different now - I can't remember the exact behaviours without going to investigate offhand. I've a feeling that if there isn't one, Logic doesn't maintain a fader bank value to change, but I could be wrong on that).

(The fader bank is also indicated by the control surface bars in the arrange and mixer pages). Class: Control Surface Group, Parameter Fader Bank (there's a few different types for various purposes).

213288773_Screenshot2020-10-20at21_25_25.png.0ba2765b4bdffc01e5fd10f57c2a3c9a.png

So generally, you'd learn you channel messages relative to the fader bank offset, and set up another few buttons to inc/dec the fader bank value by one, or 8, or whatever you need.

• 1 month later...