Remove unconnected MIDI device from project

cinningbao
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I foolishly let a client use Logic while I went for break, and they had added a MIDI track listening to the studio MIDI keyboard (not connected to any internal instrument so it was silent..) The track in question was deleted during the session so I thought it would be fine, but when I open the project Logic always complains that device is not connected anymore, even though (and I scoured the MIDI Environment to make sure) there are definitely no tracks using it as an input.

I've also noticed that my home computer (which has never been anywhere near the studio MIDI keyboard) now shows me that MIDI keyboard as an option in the new External MIDI track dropdown, which I find odd.

How do I delete this erroneous device from this project?

It would help if you can share the exact text of the alert, otherwise we're just guessing. But my guess is that there's an object using a port that no longer exists? If that's the case, choose Window > Open MIDI Environment, go through the various layers (especially MIDI Instr.) and look for the object that has the name Logic gives you in the alert. Delete that object, and save the project again.

• Solution
Well, no not quite David. Like I said, I looked at the MIDI Environment and there are no objects named 'CASIO USB-MIDI', so as much as you were expecting there to be one there, there isn't.

The only way that alert you're seeing can be triggered is if there is. You have to look in the MIDI Instr. layer as I explained earlier. Like this:

instrument-layer.gif.8803a5627e6980244435314992b81d27.gif

Indeed a few management tools such as sorting and searching would be very helpful in the MIDI Environment.

I think if you submit a feature request to Apple for any new feature in the Environment, you officially get a reply with a random animated gif of someone laughing hysterically... :D