Logic Pro X forgets controller assignments

dogeatdogg

Aaaahhhh.

Logic Pro X forgets controller assignments when I reopen a project.

So I assign a fader from my Lemur App on my iPad, or a hardware midi controller to say, Volume of the selected track, Solo of the selected track.....

It works great until I close the project and reopen it. After the project opens everything needs to be reassigned.

Total hassle, total garbage. I tried trashing the cs prefs but it's the same. I've read about this issue in other posts.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Cheers

• Sad 1

Controller assignments aren't project based. Changing a project, or opening/closing projects won't change your assignments at all. I have hundreds of custom assignments and nothing gets forgotten.

If you want to troubleshoot, please post a screenshot with your assignments and the MIDI messages you are sending and we can investigate...

I'm aware of that.

For some odd reason, Logic will remember the click level, which is a bus from Klopfgeist, and the track pan. It ALWAYS loses the track volume assignment even though it's still in the controller assignment window. Happens every time, no matter what midi controller I assign to it.

1661978894_ScreenShot2020-10-04at3_04_29PM.thumb.png.869f0f847dd5e6169df77ac5aef9db6b.png

When you say "loses the assignment", do you mean:-

- the assignment is deleted/removed from the controller assignments window?

- the assignment is still there (and doesn't look to be changed at all) but doesn't respond to the incoming MIDI message?

- the assignment is changed somehow (maybe the MIDI port is changed, or some other parameter gets changed)?

- something else?

- the assignment is still there (and doesn't look to be changed at all) but doesn't respond to the incoming MIDI message anymore.

If you relearn this control not from the Lemur but to something like a proper local MIDI device - keyboard etc - do you still get the same behaviour?

Presumably you've tried deleting the assignment and relearning it, and starting again from clean init preferences just to rule our flaky behaviour in the controller assignments? (which *does* happen for various reasons - I've not personally had assignments stop working but I've had other issues revolving around various corruption in the CS prefs).

Also, have you got any other assignments learned to that same MIDI message?

I've tried all the above. What's odd is that this always happens when I assign to an Audio track fader, which makes zero sense.

Bus Faders etc, work most of the time.

Whatever. Gonna have to accept it.

I really appreciate all your help des99.

Now it's beer time.

• Haha 1

Weird one. Presumably you've also tried a different MIDI message to the same volume parameter just in case there is something unique about that MIDI message in your system, or whether you have something else like automation quick access that's overriding the assignment, or selecting a different Mode where the assignment is not valid (I can't see the Mode column in your screenies). If you use that same assignment to learn a different control, say pan, does the assignment get dropped in the same way, or does the assignment "stick" ok?

I can't really think of much else other than corruption or clashing messages that might cause this behaviour though... it's certainly not a common thing, I don't recall seeing this problem discussed before over the years, so it's possibly unique to something on your system...

If I think of anything else to try I'll post back...

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
any fix here... i have had the same problem for years !

+1 :(

Logic constantly messes up my controller's assignments (since ever). I have 8 midi controllers connected via a USB hub.

Each restart is different... or the inputs in controller assignments are messed up, or the whole controller is not responding in "learn mode", tho it is sending midi data to Logic. But maybe after the restart, it would work.

If I go to Control Surfaces/Setup... and click any controller, I lose my controller's settings, which are then set to default (Smart Control#xx) and some of the commands are scattered around zones/modes, that I need to cut&paste them back to propper zone/mode, and some commands just disappear and needed to be relearned. An automatic assignment is disabled for those controllers.

Sometimes it "learn's" a command under a completely different zone/mode I was.

Sometimes, when cut&paste "Mode" to another "Zone", it got pasted into a completely different zone and can't be pasted elsewhere.

The whole controller assignment is unintuitive, missing propper editing functions and is acting strange and unpredictable.

I deleted CS prefs several times, but no difference.

Is this a bug, or is my setup unlogical for Logic?

Any info on this would be helpful... thnx

• 4 months later...

I'm having this same issue on one of my newer imacs.

I setup nanokontrol 2 to control channel and bus faders which worked great at first and then it would suddenly forget some or all of my mappings.

I'm wondering if something else in my setup is sending the same commands and it is attaching to that instead of my nanokontrol, but either way when one of my techs comes back to adjust the nano kontrol it no longer altering fader levels. I've already relearned the setup like 20x and about to use a sledge hammer on it.

If anyone comes up with a solution please let me know!

Controller assignments are recognised by the MIDI port they come in on, so it's unlikely an assignment will respond to a message on a different port, unless there is something weird going on in your MIDI setup.

You'll need to look at the assignment, and verify the correct assignment is responding in the controller assignments window when you move the fader. If not, edit it to have the correct message and MIDI port etc. If you want to troubleshoot it here, you'll need to go into some detail of your system, and we can investigate.

To add a note to the general flakiness, I hadn't used my plugin controller for a while (possibly not at all on this new computer, not sure), and when I went to use it, it wasn't working at all. It seems that Logic, in loading my control surface prefs file had decided to turn my "Mackie C4" device (which is critical for it to work) into a general "MCU PRO" device, thus breaking it completely. Same in my known good control surface preference backups.

So I had to rebuild that one and do a bit of rejigging to get everything working again (as in the process of fixing it it broke a different controller too).

All part of the fun, I guess..!

I would like to troubleshoot on here if you are willing. One small problem is it is a church imac so I'm only there on Sunday and Wednesdays, but I will get as much information together as possible and see where that will take us. I actually just left the imac on all week and even with that with Logic still open it still forgot the controller assignments. Yes I do have the preferences auto unchecked as well.

861405010_ScreenShot2022-04-19at10_22_49AM.thumb.png.a8d7ec2a4f1148cf85277ace7bc2cc27.png

Are you talking about custom controller assignments you've made, or are you talking about Logic's support of that controller in general via the scripts it presumably comes with? (Ie, you installed the controller, and it used to work, but now it's not working for some reason?)

When you install a supported controller from a script, Logic installs a set of controller assignments for it to work. If you've also created custom assignments, you might find they are interfering, but at the moment I don't know what you are doing and what you may have done so it's difficult to guess.

I'd suggest that you might want to uninstall the controller and trash it's controller assignments to clear out anything that's not working or causing problems, then start from what it is you want to do - use Logic's handling of that controller as designed, or setup something custom? If you try to do both, it's not impossible, but might be complicated depending on how well you know your way around Logic's control surface support and what features the controller offers that can be changed or repurposed.

But like I say, at the moment, I'll need a solid understanding of what you are trying to do, and how you are doing it...

• 3 months later...

Logic 10.7.4 , in 2022 Seems the Mapping section is still full of Bugs, just like the Live loops Section. 

Apple Its not you its me, no it is you.  Its horrible, outdated and clumsy to use with no save settings function? why? its a true relic from the past,  look at the Renoise Teams magic, the Mapping is Fast And easy Logical and just works and its hard to fault it, moving an object wont harm it or do crazy things.

Small team with the Programming over there, Apple have spent years Neglecting Logic, Seems they just adds buggy extras now to Tick boxes for Sales and marketing. Meanwhile Core service like Midi Control is just Flaky as hell or broken. Midi Clock and Timing is horrific.

Mapping fun, It gave me a nervous brake down and I bent my golf club. Some of the dumbest twaddle Iv seen. Ancient Buggy, funny thing is once a workaround's become known on a given bug or group of bugs, apple seem to adopt all the nested bugs as legit and write them in to the manual as set in stone behaviour.

-

Just switched on and no new controllers seem to be able to be mapped from this KEYLAB25, they learn okey while learn is enable, then after learn off .. they don't respond any more. Its not Logical at all.  What Happened.

Duke

Ps my Controller is mapped to My own mappings set , not enabled any Auto mapped etc functions etc .

And the existing mappings on the same controller mostly work okey.

Just None can be added anymore.  They add but dont work.

Tried setting to Index etc . And Clicked on another fader before doing. Nope.

I also already trashed all my Logic X prefs before attempting this mapping. And made tidy my utterly destroyed AU Plugins folder.  Prefs removed Using App Cleaner and then un-checking delete Logic .app before remove of all junk, yesterday it worked with odd and peculiar behaviours , today nothing. Hard to ignore. WAPOS

Duke.

Edited by len303

• 8 months later...

Hey folks, I was having this issue and stumbled on a solution.  Posting for anyone still experiencing this.  The issue was that I had programmed my FCB1010 into "toggle" mode (sending a CC message alternating between 0 and 127).  For whatever reason, when I would assign a control (such as toggling a distortion stompbox) using midi learn, Logic Pro was setting the Value "Mode" to "Relative." Changing this to "Rotate" in Controller Assignments (expert view) fixed the problem.  Closing and reopening Logic Pro no longer corrupted the assignment.  

However, this fix still requires changing the "Mode" setting to "Rotate" after assigning the control.  Experimenting more, I also realized that when I reprogrammed the FCB1010 to not be in toggle mode (i.e., reprogrammed it to send 127 each press, instead of alternating between 0 and 127), Logic Pro automatically used "Rotate" mode and there was no issue.  Ditto when I simply used the FCB1010 to send program change messages (which is actually the default programming that the FCB1010 ships with).  So my takeaway is that, for toggling controls on and off (e.g., toggling guitar stomp boxes), use program changes (default) or else CC messages, but do not program the FCB1010 to use toggle mode.

• Like 1