Whats best for DAW?? old higher core speed cpu or new lower core speed cpu?

MatthewAiden

I'll be buying a new macbook pro soon but I'm stuck between a 2019 13" and a 2020 13".

The 2019 MBP has an older 2.4ghz cpu (i5-8279u) and the 2020 one has a newer 2.0ghz cpu (i5 1038ng7).

So, most if not all comparisons and benchmarking tests online show that the newer one is better but I heard and read on many places and forums that DAWs dont utilize the cpu like other usual programs and benchmarks, and hence the most important factor of a cpu for audio production is the core speed - especially when using live usage using cpu intensive vst instruments as the cpu has to process real-time.

So based on your experiences/knowledge, which would be better?

i have a 2016 12" MB (with the butterfly keyboard), i live on it (literally)... and it works fine (i don't use it with logic). apple revised the keyboard and made it better, but lots of people are fine on the older one (including me). plus... for logic, i'd be far more concerned about power than a 'somewhat better' keyboard.

i don't think you'd see much difference between the 2; if it were me, i'd go for an i7 processor (& 16GB ram minimum). hopefully, others will chime in here with thoughts.