Loading Samples from External Drive

bb11

Hi all,

I am getting a new Mac Mini and want to start being more organized with my samples. I have a basic question. If I were to keep all of my samples on an external hard drive and then load a few of them in to anew Logic session. Would their be a significant lag when playing them back in Logic? Or are they in effect loaded in to that session permanently?

For instance if the external drive were to fail hypothetically would the session on my main startup disk still load all the files that were originally sourced from the external?

Would their be a significant lag when playing them back in Logic?
Few factors come into play. For instance the involved plugin such as Kontakt has the DFD feature (reads directly from the drive) for playback. Additionally, the type of external drive (SSD vs mechanical one) and the type of connection between that external drive and your computer. All of which could impede on the performance.

Or are they in effect loaded in to that session permanently?
If by permanently loaded into a session, you mean being part of the project, that depends of the way you saved the project. When saving a project, you are given the opportunity to include the samples used into the project, if needed.

For instance if the external drive were to fail hypothetically would the session on my main startup disk still load all the files that were originally sourced from the external?
If you opted to include the used samples upon saving your project, then normally, yes...