Transmit Bar Number and Time Signature?

minilq

The MIDI Spec specifies a set of System Realtime messages that can be used to transmit the current time signature and bar number.

(See https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-4-universal-system-exclusive-messages, look for "Notation Information")

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to cajole Logic into transmitting these messages. Can anyone help?

No - what I am saying is the Logic provides you the ability to create your own sysex and play them back ( or you can record them from a device sending them).

So you can create your own sysex message and load the message with the Universal sysex data values.

Logic has provided you the generic soup container - whether you put chicken or beef in it is up to you.

Here is an example ( assuming you have external equipment that can understand it )

To send an immediate time signature... ( you have not know what the receiving device is expecting )

F0 7F 7F 03 02 [xx…] F7

FO = start of sysex

7F start of real-time sysex

7F send to all devices

03 Notation

02 Time signature

(XX… Data)

F7 End of sysex

MIDI Clock lets you know how many 16th notes into a sequence you are, but that's not enough information for a receiving device to (for example) calculate bar numbers for display. That's why the System Realtime Notation Information messages exist.

No - what I am saying is the Logic provides you the ability to create your own sysex and play them back ( or you can record them from a device sending them).

So you can create your own sysex message and load the message with the Universal sysex data values.

[etc]

Yes, I'm aware that I could manually enter information, but it seems like a no-brainer that Logic should be able to transmit information it already knows.