Step Editor - Rename a lane (not the set)

Fredmtl

Hi, my first Q here.

I am both a Vet and a Newbie with Logic. Makes me old but, my first soft was C-Lab Creator ... yup on Atari. If there is ONE thing I remember fondly, it's the fast and logical way to edit Midi controllers, with lanes and beams(or bars whatever you call it). If you were a power-user, THAT was the tool.

The closest thing to this I eventually found in Logic Pro is the Step Editor and its lanes. (Don't ask me to explain my 25+ year gap between Creator and Logic, it would be a novel)

But I am struggling at doing something that should imho be a default function : I want to simply populate a set of lanes for each MIDI Controller available. NOT just those that have been used in a Track. Am I really going to have to create lanes one by one ? And if so, when you create a new lane, it appears it is cloning a previous one (why in the world) and the new lane also has the same name. There is certainly something stupid I did not see.... but how do I rename the new lane? When I google, all the results are about renaming the hole set.

Thank you.

If you are using the latest version (LPX 10.5.1).

One could create multi lanes in one go.

The easiest way would be to first record into a region all the controllers you wish to be represented in the Lanes set.

Then while keeping that region selected, choose Create Multiple Lanes... from the local Lanes menu, and opt for All in the popping up alert.

To rename a specific lane simply double-click on the Lane inspector header (next to the disclosure triangle) and type in the desired name; doing same will overwrite the pre-existing one that was created automatically.

Hey Thanks for the reply....I see we're from the same town.

1) Recording events doesn't seem to work. I set a track to WRITE, play something and play with my physical knobs. It seems to automate because when I replay the virtual knobs are animated. However no data of this appears nowhere.

2) After I did that, I opened the Step Editor, and did what you say (i had tried before anyways) clicking on ALL. The only thing i get are 4 lanes with the notes. Not one single CC appears there.

3) I did try double click on the header of a lane, it opens a popup to convert the lane, with several settings but I don't see anything to rename the lane. I am note sure what you mean by the disclosure triangle.

Thanks.

Fredmtl if you go to the user control panel [top right of screen] and add your system details as recommended [ie computer model, audio interface, MIDI interface, OS version, Logic version] to your signature it will be helpful when you ask questions here.

Hey Thanks for the reply....I see we're from the same town.

1) Recording events doesn't seem to work. I set a track to WRITE, play something and play with my physical knobs. It seems to automate because when I replay the virtual knobs are animated. However no data of this appears nowhere.

That is probably due to the fact that you recorded TBA (track-based automation).

Try converting them to RBA (region based automation) via the top main menu Mix>Convert Automation>Convert All Track Automation to Region Automation..

Then make sure that those converted automation are MIDI CC events (instead of Faders events); otherwise they will appear named as "undefined" lanes.

Consequently, having many different Fader automations (instead of MIDI CC), they will all appear as "undefined" Lanes in the Step Editor, which will be cumbersome to distinguish one from the other in order to rename them appropriately.

To convert Fader events into MIDI CC ones, you could use the Transform function, which you should be familiar with, since it is pretty much the same as it was in Notator. Once those Fader events be transformed into MIDI CC events, their respective Lanes will automatically appear properly named in the Step Editor.

2) After I did that, I opened the Step Editor, and did what you say (i had tried before anyways) clicking on ALL. The only thing i get are 4 lanes with the notes. Not one single CC appears there.
Once the above procedure completed, if you wish to obtain only certain CC events, you could select those from within the Event List editor (using the blue filter buttons could help hiding the notes so you could concentrate only on controlers events).

Then, after selecting the desired MIDI CC (contollers) events in the Event list you wish to appear in the Step Editor, choose Selected instead of All...