Duplicating MIDI track with regions in tact

ojan327
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Is there a way to duplicate a MIDI track while keeping the MIDI regions in tact? Whenever I do it, the track duplicates without the regions and I find myself having to copy the MIDI regions onto the new track by selecting them and option dragging down. Would be nice for them to just appear on the new track exactly as they are on the original.

Thanks!

But I don't see that option. Is it a 10.5.0 feature? I'm not sure why it wouldn't upgrade for me last time I tried.

No it's been here all along. Just hold down the Option key on your keyboard while you drag the track icon downward.

Additionally, earlier, someone had replied here to mention a key command as well: "New Track with Duplicate Settings and Content". I'm not sure why that post is no longer visible in this thread?? :?

Thanks David... Holding down Option doesn't change the behavior from just a normal rearranging the track position.

How do I apply that cmd+D shortcut to "New Track with Duplicate Settings and Content"? I have yet to customize shortcuts. Thank you.

1592852396_ScreenShot2020-06-16at4_08_45AM.thumb.png.efdf911272665fe0f44184a41731a0d0.png

You're welcome.

Thanks David... Holding down Option doesn't change the behavior from just a normal rearranging the track position.

I am 100% sure this is pilot error. Hold down Option, drag the track, release the mouse button first and the Option key last.

Option-drag-track.gif.3c608fe9c458d1b538476f87b0e6fc24.gif

How do I apply that cmd+D shortcut to "New Track with Duplicate Settings and Content"? I have yet to customize shortcuts. Thank you.

Select the command, and click the "Learn by Key Label" button then press Command-D.

I had forgotten about the option-drag technique but did locate the key command. Soon after posting, I noticed the more efficient solution, so removed my post. Option-drag is more reflexive and immediate vs. a ham-fisted key command. :)

Oh ok great thanks for adding this I started being paranoid about a corrupt database on my servers or something :lol: Good to hear it was only you deleting your post.

David, Thank you. You're right. It works, and it's great! :D You have to drag it passed the preceding or following track in order for it to work though, then drag it back it back beside the original, because typically that's where you'd want it, but that's not a big deal.

Thanks.. Nice, You're right, it's not necessary on some tracks, while on others, a space will not open up for the duplicate track until you skip a track. This inconcistency exists in several of my current projects.

On another note, sometimes when you click a track header it will automatically expand the track, while other times it won't. This seems to vary between projects.. How do I get control over this? Thanks!

Thanks.. Nice, You're right, it's not necessary on some tracks, while on others, a space will not open up for the duplicate track until you skip a track. This inconcistency exists in several of my current projects.

Aaah. I was able to reproduce that behavior in 10.4.8. I see what you mean.

On another note, sometimes when you click a track header it will automatically expand the track, while other times it won't. This seems to vary between projects.. How do I get control over this? Thanks!

Toggle View > Zoom Focused Track on or off.