10.5.1 is out.

Ashermusic

Ok, just googled to find out what "Big Sur" was meaning...

Is that realy the name of the next Mac OS?

Big Sur is a place in California - very beautiful scenery indeed. I guess that even past OS10.x that Apple is staying with place names.

Yes, it's the name.

Yes, starting with MacOS 10.9 Apple stopped using cat names and started using names of locations in California: Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and now Big Sur.

Big Sur is a place in California - very beautiful scenery indeed. I guess that even past OS10.x that Apple is staying with place names.

Big Sur... Bien sur!

That make sense...

Thanx everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
To me, so far, Big Sur lives up to it's initials...BS!

It's always a good idea to firmly make up your mind about a product 6 months before it's actually released...

that's true. After all, it took Catalina 9 months from release to get barely usable. :wink:

anyway, I tried the dev version, and it was very unusable for many reasons relating to audio production and other basic things that I need. I didn't expect it to be ready for prime time, but my point is that every year we have finally a relatively stable OS by the time a new one is previewed. Then, instead of taking a stable release and improving it, every year they go back to the drawing board and issue a, well, mess of incompatibility and instability. It's just the way it is. Then many months after final release, the bugs and issues start to get fixed or workarounds. It just seems like there must be a better way. Now assuming all you do is use Apple products or only fresh updated apps and plugins, then maybe you have no issues with it. that's not me.

It's always a good idea to firmly make up your mind about a product 6 months before it's actually released...

that's true. After all, it took Catalina 9 months from release to get barely usable. :wink:

anyway, I tried the dev version, and it was very unusable for many reasons relating to audio production and other basic things that I need. I didn't expect it to be ready for prime time, but my point is that every year we have finally a relatively stable OS by the time a new one is previewed. Then, instead of taking a stable release and improving it, every year they go back to the drawing board and issue a, well, mess of incompatibility and instability. It's just the way it is. Then many months after final release, the bugs and issues start to get fixed or workarounds. It just seems like there must be a better way. Now assuming all you do is use Apple products or only fresh updated apps and plugins, then maybe you have no issues with it. that's not me.

not everyone has the same experience; i ran catalina thru all the betas, and continued to work (and 95% of the plugins i use are 3rd-party). and no OS is completely stable for everyone; hence, the never-ending updates.

'stable' is complicated; a new OS is, in part, new territory, for apple, and for users. then, there is the simple fact that we all have different combinations of hardware, apps. it's an adventure (at best); you're not obligated to take that adventure.

Great points made by David here, and truthfully, I don’t think you will ever get as much value in life for $200 for any purchase (and I don’t care how hot and how great the hooker was).

Still, Kerochan, it was noble of you to slide back in and apologize....and I know we all have our grumpy days.