Control surfaces - How to make the midi controller affects the parameter even when not on that track?

mugtree2000

You can examine your assignment in the Controller Assignments window. Most likely, it's set to "Selected track", meaning the assignment is targeting the selected track.

If you don't want this behaviour, you can change it to something more suited to your needs there.

You can examine your assignment in the Controller Assignments window. Most likely, it's set to "Selected track", meaning the assignment is targeting the selected track.

If you don't want this behaviour, you can change it to something more suited to your needs there.

Like what? None of these behave correctly. Any ideas please?

898661067_Screenshot2020-05-19at12_52_49.png.c794de10fbcd5597b18dfb846c06cf64.png

Like what? None of these behave correctly. Any ideas please?

I can't give you ideas of exactly what settings to use as I have no idea of what you are trying to control, with what, or where and in what context.

Using the selected track method is easiest, as you don't need to figure out which mixer channel you are targeting, but if that won't work for you you need to look at which channel you are trying to control, and using the most appropriate targeting method in the controller assignments to achieve your (unspecified) goal.

The method is fiddly as how does it exactly work please? You bring up the plugin and then turn the knob. Then go to control surfaces and it's remember the knob, then turn the knob and it brings that data in. But your saying before you do that you have to click off the channel and click where on the mixer? But before you press the knob? Or after? Also it doesn't even work, hmm

1. Select any channel strip other than the one you want to assign.

2. Click the control you want to assign on the unselected channel strip.

3. Choose Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Learn Assignment for "(name of parameter)".

4. Move the control on your hardware control surface.

In your Controller Assignments window, it looks like you've learned the Raum Mix control five different times. Try deleting those and relearning it.

Thanks guys, but neither of that worked....

I appreciate you wanting to share videos but that's not the medium here. We're a forum, and our value lies not just in helping individuals punctually, but also in building a huge database of questions/answers for everyone to browse, search, and for search engines to index, now and in the future. Videos don't allow for either of those. If everyone here starts to do videos to show their problems and answer questions I ask, then first of all I no longer have the time to watch the videos and help out the way I do, but also this doesn't benefit anyone other than you, after a while the video links disappear or are broken, and the thread becomes useless.

If you want to continue the discussion and the back and forth with text and screenshots, then right here is the place to do it. If you'd rather share videos of what you're doing and get someone to spend the time helping you out personally then perhaps private consulting is what you should be considering.

Ok David. Videos help explain the problem a lot better than images and text and in more detail. However I understand it doesn't help your SEO. Please remove all video links in my posts.

So back to the question, what you have both said doesn't work. Can you show me it working please? In images and text of course ;-)

I can tell you it works here, so there's no reason it wouldn't work for you too. If I were you I would try the usual troubleshooting methods: create a new user account on your Mac, and start from scratch. Uninstall all control surfaces and set up a simple session with only 2 channel strips. Select channel strip 2 and assign the volume fader on channel strip 1.

After you've done that, if that still doesn't work open the Expert view of the controller assignments window, show the single assignment, and post a screenshot here so we can see what your assignment looks like.

Thanks David, I am able to make that work now.

But when I go to another channel it doesn't. Would you mind explaining that again? Odd LPX does this by default. You would have though that most users wouldn't want to be on that channel when changing something by midi controller.

So I set up the assignment like you said, but then when you click on another channel the knob doesn't operate the filter in the other channel.

Oh ok, it's not supposed to. That's the whole point, and I thought that's what you wanted, for your assignment to stick to one specific channel independently of which channel is selected. If you want that behavior then you want the channel selected when you assign it.

So:

1. Channel is selected when you assign. => Assignment follows whichever channel you select.

2. Channel is not selected when you assign. => Assignment is set for that specific channel and it doesn't matter which channel is selected.

Thanks David. I think we are getting there. I just want to assign a filter knob to a channel effect and where ever I am in logic I want that filter to change when I turn the knob. At the moment that doesn't happen by default. I have to return back to that channel for it to work.

Thanks, but that doesn't work. Well it does until you create a new channel after and it breaks it. I can send you a video to explain it a lot quicker.

But can you try it and check please. So does the points in post 11 and then create a new software instrument track. Knob fails.