Logic Pro X - What's new in 10.5

des99

The timing thing has been investigated to death. It's been shown conclusively that, with good drivers behaving properly, then in the best conditions timing in LPX is just as tight as it ever was on the Atari ST in the best conditions.

However, not every MIDI driver/interface supports timestamping or has good jitter performance, and Logic itself only timestamps MIDI events in certain conditions (eg, if you're using the External Instrument object to output MIDI, those events are timestamped and timing performance is great - if you're outputting MIDI from the environment or other environment objects, those are just regular realtime MIDI and events are not timestamped.)

This is easy to see with a MIDI monitor.

So it's possible to have less tight MIDI in Logic, just as it was on the Atari ST if you started to use serial port interfaces or had a lot of data going out of single ports, where the timing would be degraded accordingly - not to mention MIDI events on lower tracks which, due to the slower processing speed of the Atari, would get processed later than earlier tracks.

Great MIDI timing when no audio processing/DPC is involved, Of course.
AFAIR, Notator was dealing only with MIDI, so no audio processing was implemented then.

Also, didn't Notator have the chord track functions that Logic X removed? Or was that too early?
I don't think so, Notator never had global track as such, so no Chord track.

I remember it having some fancy chord mode for guitar that amazed me.
The chords and guitar chord symbols where only score symbols then.

What sold me the Notator then (and an Atari 1040ST, for which I had forked more than $2k) was that being the first and only software that could translate MIDI into score notation in real time. That was kind of magic to me! Good ol' days... Mind you, nowadays Logic being light years ahead in every aspect and cost barely more than $300 (and in today's dollar value!)

What sold me the Notator then (and an Atari 1040ST, for which I had forked more than $2k) was that being the first and only software that could translate MIDI into score notation in real time. That was kind of magic to me!

To be fair, my head was in Mod-Trackers on the Amiga at the time so scoring functions was a bit 'high brow' for me, although from a technical perspective i remember reading articles in magazines at the time and thinking it was impressive. But us Amiga folks didn't like the Atari folks back then.. May have been a UK thing. lol

Yes I paid, precisely $321.92 CAD with taxes.

I am actually a good "test case" since I jumped from Notator to Logic Pro X. (Reason being I stopped using DAWS for many years, playing with bands only). Back in the 90's I was playing music for a living, in Top-40 bands (the days when musicians where well paid!). I would program with Notator on a 1040 ST (with get this, a nice 4 megs of ram!) and then transfer my mid files on a MC-50 to go on the road. Notator indeed was amazing at managing "patterns" you could repeat in a click, and the Hyper Editor was just perfect. You did not have to go through a maze of procedures to get want you needed, it was just there. I will probably adapt (no choice anyways) but I am still under the impression that simplicity and efficiency are impeded by a multitude of functionalities that get in the way of intuition, and that I perceive as dangerous inductors of musical laziness. (aka the Drummers, which I find cool for practicing chops though, but which also constitue an evil "magic ring" which me and my other self are internally arguing over. I already made a quick tune using it, and I feel guilty lol. I want to get away from this.)

One thing I love : the Takes Folder, this is absolutely brilliant.

One thing I despise : The drawings, the graphics they add for instruments (drums, cellos, etc), that make it look like a Christmas tree and feel like a karaoke machine.

I know myself and next thing you know, in 6 months you'll see me all over the place advocating for Logic LOL.

I will post a few other questions. as other Topics. Thanks in advance for your help folks, karma will be kind to you.

I play guitar(35 years), bass(20 years) and 5-string banjo(10 years) if anyone need tips or an external ear sometimes, feel free to buzz me.

Note - you can turn track icons off and customise a lot of how you want it to look and feel.

I only tend to use generic icons, I don't find graphic icons are much of an aid to navigating around a project, but I'm sure others love them. Logic doesn't force this stuff on you as such - you can use them if you want, you can lose them if you want - which is how I like my environments to work...