MIDI mapping for Superior Drummer 3 using Logic's Drummer

OFS

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get Logic's Drummer to play SD3 sounds correctly. Most problems come from the hi-hat articulations, which are tricky to reproduce. It took me a few hours, but I came up with a MIDI mapping that works reasonably well.

The best way to test, I think, is to create a Drummer and a SD3 track in Logic. Next create a Drummer region and then drag it to the SD3 by using Shift-Option-Drag. This creates a MIDI region alias in the SD3 track that automatically reflects any changes you make in the Drummer region.

Now, for the MIDI mapping:

First, download the attached script

1. In the SD3 track, under MIDI FX, insert a Scripter plugin

2. Download my script and save it here: /Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Scripter

This is just the default location for the Scripter plugin, you can load it from anywhere. The unzip it.

3. Load the saved script in the Scripter plugin by clicking on it and selecting 'Load', then open the 'LPD to SD3 Static.pst' file.

4. Play the Drummer track and SD3 should start playing with the MIDI mapping already doing its thing.

I tested the mapping using the Superior Drummer 3 'Archetype' drum preset from Alexander Juneblad. I haven't tested enough with other kit presets to see if it works equally well.

This is just my first attempt, I'm sure the can be very improved upon.

If somebody knows a bit of Javascript and wishes to improve the script it would be great! If you open it, you'll see it's pretty straightforward. The most confusing thing is the Hi-Hat, for which LPX's Drummer uses Articulation ID's to trigger different MIDI notes from the same original MIDI note.

Only notes F#1 (MIDI note number 42), G#1 (MIDI note number 44) and A#1 (MIDI note number 46) use articulation ID's, that's why the script's switch() statement is a bit more involved for these notes, involving a sub switch() statement to select a target note on SD3 for each different Articulation ID.

There's an article describing LPX Drummer's use of articulation ID's here: 

https://macprovideo.com/article/audio-software/logic-pro-x-whats-up-with-articulation-ids-and-drummer

Hope this is useful to anyone!

Cheers!

LPD to SD3 Static.pst.zip

• 1 year later...
Is this still required in current versions??????

Hello, I can’t install the latest Logic version because I’m still in Catalina, but I’d assume that they didn’t change anything.

To be clear, the script I made was never required, I just felt that it made the drummer patterns sound closer to the original when going through SD3, especially regarding the hi-hat. Some people seem to agree with me, others don’t as you can read here:

https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/logic-drummer-to-superior-drummer-3-midi-mapping/