Safe to upgrade to macOS Catalina yet?

Jonathan Levine

I was just curious if you guys knew if it was safe to upgrade to macOS Catalina yet, and what your experience has been for those of you who have upgraded so far? I’m currently on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using Logic Pro X 10.4.8. I’ve contacted the companies of the plug-ins that I own and many of them have either claimed full compatibility, while other say there just may be a few minor issues (mainly with the installers). I’m using plug-ins from Waves (V11), iZotope, Soundtoys, AIR Music Technology, etc. Many of these plug-ins companies have said I shouldn’t have a problem with plug-ins already installed, and that most of the underlying issues when upgrading to macOS Catalina have to do with the installers. Any insight to your guys’ experiences with Catalina and any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

there's no one simple answer. for me, all is well since catalina day 1; all my plugins work, logic's been happy.

i added a couple of new izotope plugins, and had to use their 'catalina workaround' to install... which worked.

check your apps; 32bit apps will no longer open (ie older adobe or microsoft apps). back everything up. maybe clone your mac with carbon copy cloner. then try catalina...

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrading an existing system seems to be successful for many users, but installers, as has been stated, are another matter. I'm waiting on purchasing a new iMac i9 for just that reason. I have four plugin developers whose products I use quite a bit. SoundToys recently announced full Catalina compatibility. On their website, Izotope announced that they have updated installers for certain products to allow for installation, but in the same sentence state that their products "are still not officially compatible with OS 10.15 Catalina." [!] It's a similar situation with the other two I'm waiting on--Toontrack and Spectrasonics. So for the moment, no new iMac.

Jim

Upgrading an existing system seems to be successful for many users, but installers, as has been stated, are another matter. I'm waiting on purchasing a new iMac i9 for just that reason. I have four plugin developers whose products I use quite a bit. SoundToys recently announced full Catalina compatibility. On their website, Izotope announced that they have updated installers for certain products to allow for installation, but in the same sentence state that their products "are still not officially compatible with OS 10.15 Catalina." [!] It's a similar situation with the other two I'm waiting on--Toontrack and Spectrasonics. So for the moment, no new iMac.

Jim

all my izotope plugins work in catalina, and, as stated, they do have an install page for now: https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039511813-macOS-Catalina-for-iZotope-products

Fisherking-- Thanks for the reply. Izotope plugins, though "not officially compatible," aren't what's holding me back. And Toontrack appears to be ok as long as you use their Product Manager software for downloads. Crickets from Spectrasonics.

I understand that Catalina represents a massive change for software developers. If it were an easy change it would have been done in a heartbeat.

Jim

Fisherking-- Thanks for the reply. Izotope plugins, though "not officially compatible," aren't what's holding me back. And Toontrack appears to be ok as long as you use their Product Manager software for downloads. Crickets from Spectrasonics.

I understand that Catalina represents a massive change for software developers. If it were an easy change it would have been done in a heartbeat.

Jim

check your apps, plugins (hold down the option key & click on 'about this mac'; it will now show 'system information'. check under 'applications'... you can see there what 32bit apps you have; those won't run in catalina.

ALL my 3rd-party plugins (& i have a lot) are 64bit, and all worked instantly in catalina (from an upgrade, vs a 'clean install'... which might have been more complicated).

anyway, good luck moving forward (or not).

Thanks for all your insights guys! I appreciate it. Yeah I agree this is definitely a problematic update for sure. I also think I agree that the fuss over this update was a bit exaggerated as well. I still haven’t upgraded yet but plan on doing so within the next few days, and I doubt I’ll have any problems as you guys have stated too. I mostly place the blame on the plug-in developers, since Apple has really been stating since Sierra/High Sierra that 32-bit apps would be phased out over the next few generations of macOS. All of the developers seemed to scramble once Catalina was released, but they knew this would be happening at some point, and even then, they still had about 4 months to start making their plug-ins compatible once Catalina was announced at WWDC ‘19. I enjoy having the new features of the new macOS each year, as I still use my music machine for some everyday computer-stuff, and I’m all for the new privacy features Apple has added to Catalina as well. Like I said, the plug-in developers should’ve allocated their resources accordingly, and tried to get everything all set by the time Catalina was ready to be released. Who knows, maybe next year they will get it right, but I have a strange feeling that will probably never happen.

Thanks for all your insights guys! I appreciate it. Yeah I agree this is definitely a problematic update for sure. I also think I agree that the fuss over this update was a bit exaggerated as well. I still haven’t upgraded yet but plan on doing so within the next few days, and I doubt I’ll have any problems as you guys have stated too. I mostly place the blame on the plug-in developers, since Apple has really been stating since Sierra/High Sierra that 32-bit apps would be phased out over the next few generations of macOS. All of the developers seemed to scramble once Catalina was released, but they knew this would be happening at some point, and even then, they still had about 4 months to start making their plug-ins compatible once Catalina was announced at WWDC ‘19. I enjoy having the new features of the new macOS each year, as I still use my music machine for some everyday computer-stuff, and I’m all for the new privacy features Apple has added to Catalina as well. Like I said, the plug-in developers should’ve allocated their resources accordingly, and tried to get everything all set by the time Catalina was ready to be released. Who knows, maybe next year they will get it right, but I have a strange feeling that will probably never happen.

i don't see how it's a problematic update, since, as you pointed out, we've been warned about the abandonment of 32-bit apps.

all my 3rd-party plugins migrated without issue; plus, some of the developers have created new installs (or workarounds) for catalina (mostly security stuff). so things are (in general) pretty good... or not much different than they've been with most new mac OSes. what you say may never happen has, or is, happening now...

waves wants me to pay $125 for updates if I want my plugs from 2015 to work with Catalina.

seriously? to 'work with' or to install? if you've moved from an earlier OS, they may work. if you're installing on catalina, there are some security concerns, and that's why developers are creating catalina installers (or posting workarounds).

Yes, what @taffy said is what I meant by the “problematic” update. A lot of plug-in developers like Waves (which are used by many) are forcing upgrades to ensure compatibility with future macOS versions, and also forcing you to pay to upgrade for plug-ins you already have. There are also problems with certain 32-bit components of certain plug-ins, such as Sonic Charge. And yes they are moving up to speed with compatibility now, but what I meant in my previous post was that all plug-in manufacturers should have had their stuff compatible for the release day of Catalina, but instead it’s taking them months to do so when they’ve known about all of this information since June (and years for the end of 32-bit support). I have a feeling it will be at least another 3-4 months until mostly all of the big plug-in manufacturers have updated their stuff to ensure full compatibility with Catalina, which will be not too long right before the next macOS version is announced in June. Apple holds its WWDC event every June, so it’s not like they do it unpredictably, so it would just be nice if these plug-in companies would get their resources ready around that time so they can have their stuff ready on launch day of the new macOS, and not 3-6 months later.

which waves is that?

I haven't found a single waves plugin I haven't found an alternative for.

I tend to buy from the same manufacturers if i can.

right now i'm testing kazrog true iron, and i'm probably gonna end up with VariSaturator instead. :D

'reel adt'; (the zynaptic plugin is 'intensity'); good stuff (and, as i have them both incorporated in a good number or projects... essential).

This is the only company I know of that does this. There'a not much diff between their paid support and free email support on expired plugins. I've never paid them for support.

from Waves email:

​Updating licenses will be cheaper than repurchasing, even with the huge sale prices we are currently running.

To update all you need to do is access your account page on-line at www.waves.com and select "Get Waves Update Plan." This will calculate your cost and step you through the update.

Complete details on Waves installation and authorization can be found here. Tech Support is available at 865 909 9200 extension 1 for real-time assistance.

The Waves Update Plan enables users to have support and the latest updates supporting platforms that are current and new on the market. Waves invests 100's of man-hours in order to be able to support as many platforms and third company version updates as possible and WUP allows us to continue this development for our users. This insures you that when you buy Waves and a new release comes out within the next year you will get it at no additional cost. Some software companies handle this using a grandfather clause of 3 months, saying that if you buy a product and a newer version comes out right away you will get it as well for free. Waves has extended this to one automatic year. This also was used for the purpose of allowing people to know exactly how much their updates are going to be so they can budget for them. Software is updated so quickly and updates can come out unexpectedly all the time, causing unexpected fees. The Waves Update Plan lets you know you are covered for any update that might come out and lets you know exactly when the next update will be and how much it will cost.

As you will see with other plugin companies, they only offer Tech Support through e-mail, or they have limited support of all the major host applications and architectures. Waves leads the way with top line support, wide compatibility, large growing product line, and new free products all for a percentage of the cost of your original purchase. This provides support that only the major host applications could provide before, but without the large cost that they require.

which waves is that?

I haven't found a single waves plugin I haven't found an alternative for.

I tend to buy from the same manufacturers if i can.

right now i'm testing kazrog true iron, and i'm probably gonna end up with VariSaturator instead. :D

'reel adt'; (the zynaptic plugin is 'intensity'); good stuff (and, as i have them both incorporated in a good number or projects... essential).

Reel ADT is actually good :)

It has great mono compatibility.

Btw i found the reason for running cracked software: Aurchitect fiasco. ... But I managed to pull a license file from a backup.

- license server went down overnight

- license file was hidden and took some sleuthing to actually find

• 7 months later...

Jim

check your apps, plugins (hold down the option key & click on 'about this mac'; it will now show 'system information'. check under 'applications'... you can see there what 32bit apps you have; those won't run in catalina.

ALL my 3rd-party plugins (& i have a lot) are 64bit, and all worked instantly in catalina (from an upgrade, vs a 'clean install'... which might have been more complicated).

anyway, good luck moving forward (or not).

Did you use migration Assistant to transition over?

i did not; i did a clean install of the OS, then new installs of my apps and plugins. a massive undertaking; some plugins would not install under catalina; in those cases, the developers (ie izotope) had a workaround-install method... now, all my izotope plugins (& ozone9 standalone) are fine.

then i copied all my files back. and went back to work.

i don't use time machine (i prefer carbon copy cloner). but, honestly, migration assistant should be fine; copy everything back, THEN make sure all your apps and plugins are up-to-date.

• 1 month later...
updated my studio mini to Catalina today (as to prepare myself for Big Sur)

so far so good, everything seems to work okay. can't wait for big sur

wait. a good number of 3rd-party plugins have to be updated by the developers to work with big sur & logic (i know this first-hand). for me, zebra2, hive, spire, icarus2, dune3... a few others, don't even show in logic. u-he (for one) said they're working on it. so (a rare thing for me) will wait for the official big sur, and confirmed working plugins that i need.

I’m finally in Catalina full time for about a week now. If I had to do it again I’d probably go clean install verses migration assistant. But, I think more plugins are actually working because I did use MA as some don’t have installers that work in Catalina. Overall, it’s been very stable but it’s also a brand new Mac so that might have something to do with it.

I’m finally in Catalina full time for about a week now. If I had to do it again I’d probably go clean install verses migration assistant. But, I think more plugins are actually working because I did use MA as some don’t have installers that work in Catalina. Overall, it’s been very stable but it’s also a brand new Mac so that might have something to do with it.

FWIW, most developers have either updated their installers for catalina, or posted workaround installs (just mentioning; i did a clean install recently, on catalina and it went well)

updated my studio mini to Catalina today (as to prepare myself for Big Sur)

so far so good, everything seems to work okay. can't wait for big sur

wait. a good number of 3rd-party plugins have to be updated by the developers to work with big sur & logic (i know this first-hand). for me, zebra2, hive, spire, icarus2, dune3... a few others, don't even show in logic. u-he (for one) said they're working on it. so (a rare thing for me) will wait for the official big sur, and confirmed working plugins that i need.

ooh...

I must have missed this. Thanks, I use u-he in every damn project.

ooh...

I must have missed this. Thanks, I use u-he in every damn project.

yeah, sigh. i spent 2 days trying to get those plugins to show (terminal tricks, permissions tricks, magic tricks). emailed u-he and others, and they confirmed their need to update. so, back to catalina for now.