Logic ABSOLUTELY messed up bus assignments after opening a project?!

Ploki

Sums, sends, Everything IS ALL OVER THE PLACE AND WRONG.

How the hell could this happen?!

Sums are easy to fix, but this is a post production project with at least 20 sends over literally more than 100 tracks - fixing it by hand is next to impossible wtihout going back to the mixing stage and rechecking if everything sounds okay - something i can't afford to do again

okay, now i shuffled audio interfaces around and opened with different AUDIO INTERFACE settings, and the project seems to open fine now...

What's odd is one PAN got bounced LCR (some bleed into L and R) and i was pretty sure I pushed that channel HARD CENTER.

Lo and behold, now that i open the project and buses are fine, the surround PAN of the track in question is HARD CENTER. But when i opened it 15 minutes ago, it was NOT HARD CENTER.

I did not save the project in the mean time, and i explicitely worked on a copy of it.

This s#!+ is so unpredictable and unreliable it's making me puke my nerves through my nose, literally, everytime i save and go to sleep I don't know what kind of hot surprise logic will have for me.

This project was already rebuilt one time FROM A BACKUP, because Logic somehow crashed on the latest saved version...

Jesus. I cant work like this.

I really really wish this was user error, but i dont see any feature where "changing your audio interface may affect your bus numbers, and it will be different each time you open the SAME SAVE of a project"

you can delete this thread now

No, we don't delete threads, that's not what this forum is about. ANY experience is good to share, and yours could very well help someone else with the same issue in the future, so let's keep it here. Feel free to continue updating your thread with any additional info you may find out.

It is indeed odd that you get a different experience depending on wether core audio is selected or not. How about using different core audio drivers? What about creating a new user account on your Mac? Do you want to share the project file so one of us can try to open it see if we can reproduce the issue?

you can delete this thread now

No, we don't delete threads, that's not what this forum is about. ANY experience is good to share, and yours could very well help someone else with the same issue in the future, so let's keep it here. Feel free to continue updating your thread with any additional info you may find out.

It is indeed odd that you get a different experience depending on wether core audio is selected or not. How about using different core audio drivers? What about creating a new user account on your Mac? Do you want to share the project file so one of us can try to open it see if we can reproduce the issue?

Your new profile pic confused me there for a second

The thing is - even I can't replicate it anymore!

After changing driver to no driver, LG UltraFine 4K Display Audio, then right BACK to FireFace 800 the project loads up fine :S

Other than bringing my mac mini back to my studio from the cinema mixing stage (where I used first Fireface then HDMI for 8ch output), the only thing i did was connect it back to FireFace (and ran a few recording sessions like that). No updates, no new stuff, no changes in the project, it's even in the exact same spot on the same exact disk as before.

And after I opened it without coreaudio and with LG driver, I can't get it to open wrong and mixed up again.

it's so bizarre.

This project has to be cursed tho, at one point, the latest saved alternative just wouldn't open anymore. It crashed Logic immediately, even if i opened it on a fresh installation on my MacBook (so different OS, different Logic, different mac, NO PLUGINS). It just got corrupted during save - and if i tried accessing through "all files", it crashed logic the moment it tried to open it in "all files"

I was only glad i have a couple of hours old backup i could revert to, after that I rebuild it out of fear of project being more corrupted.

The project itself is huge tho. 1200 regions, 500 files and 197 tracks, around 11GB.

1625765908_Screenshot2019-12-09at19_44_46.thumb.png.35767057b997c248b8a627f84b417258.png

Two screenshots taken 30 secs apart.

same project, same save.

screenshot 1: fireface 800 as interface. (bus 43 as sum input)

screenshot 2: LG Ultrafine as interface. (bus 33 as sum input)

I didn't even quit logic, just opened project, saw its wrong, closed, changed to ultrafine, opened, and it was fine agian.

switching back to fireface 800 breaks everything again.

Disabling Fireface 800 inputs and only using it as an output interface makes everything good again... i'll try toying with this on an empty project some more, but this is... incomprehensible.

btw, my sums are always Aux/Bus same # combo.

2117575488_Screenshot2019-12-16at13_11_36.thumb.png.b2c5afeb00da1268ea04171a95cee27f.png

561841720_Screenshot2019-12-16at13_12_05.thumb.png.c8c4ed51ff182138f0a647d06f90cf43.png

• 8 months later...
I have encountered this same issue. After bouncing a track and it sounded weird, I opened the session to find all my folders with strings in them routed completely differently and to the wrong tracks, and the effects on them had jumped onto the next folder. So bizarre. It is for a film and I am stressing to find the solution. I am going to have a look into core audio to see if I can fix this issue. I am now trying to import bounces of my new work into an older version where this issue does not yet appear to be. The version with the issue appears to be unworkable.

I have encountered this same issue. After bouncing a track and it sounded weird, I opened the session to find all my folders with strings in them routed completely differently and to the wrong tracks, and the effects on them had jumped onto the next folder. So bizarre. It is for a film and I am stressing to find the solution. I am going to have a look into core audio to see if I can fix this issue. I am now trying to import bounces of my new work into an older version where this issue does not yet appear to be. The version with the issue appears to be unworkable.

oh my, RIP. if you saved it after it messed up - i think it's lost forever

I've found that when I run into a major problem that causes these sorts of things, you're right - once you do a save after something messes up, that version of the file is forever hosed. There's some bit of poison in it that causes Logic to have the same problems forever afterwards. That's why I make sure to use the Project Alternatives at significant milestones during work on a project - it hard limits how much I can lose, and is a useful addition to the automatic backups.

I sometimes get one virtual instrument always opens with the wrong instrument.. one only one track, will come up as MODO Bass (which is pretty nice).. If I fix and save it, the new project comes up making same mistake.. Instead I reset the bogus track, Create a new track, and things are fine. So for me it seems like on some (not all, and not that often, but enough for me to catch it. Software instrument track 3 seems to always open with the instrument changed.. So far on a few occasions, it's always IK Multimedia's Modo Bass.. Got latest version of it. I make very little use of buses, so I don't know if that's corrupted.. This is a semi occasional problem for me.= don't know if it's related to your problem..

I also think it is a fine idea to not delete posts with a problem, and we all understand venting..

I sometimes get one virtual instrument always opens with the wrong instrument.. one only one track, will come up as MODO Bass (which is pretty nice).. If I fix and save it, the new project comes up making same mistake.. Instead I reset the bogus track, Create a new track, and things are fine. So for me it seems like on some (not all, and not that often, but enough for me to catch it. Software instrument track 3 seems to always open with the instrument changed.. So far on a few occasions, it's always IK Multimedia's Modo Bass.. Got latest version of it. I make very little use of buses, so I don't know if that's corrupted.. This is a semi occasional problem for me.= don't know if it's related to your problem..

I also think it is a fine idea to not delete posts with a problem, and we all understand venting..

rereading that sent shivers down my spine. I was all but finished at the time this happened, and poured hours into the project.

• 3 months later...

I've had this problem too recently. Still hoping for a solution. I'd really have to have to switch DAWs.

I usually notice this problem when my click track stops working, then I check the mixer and all my busses are not routed correctly and software instruments seem to be swapping all over the place.

Anyone getting these kind of plug-in configuration and routing messed up issues, do you sometimes have multiple Logic projects open? Because that is the well known unwanted behavior when opening multiple projects at the same time, which is why Logic warns you against it (in my opinion it shouldn't let you do it at all period). I never ever allow myself to open multiple projects simultaneously in Logic:

multiple-projects-open.png.01ec60b0205ec1eb031b63813d039aa0.png

• 5 weeks later...
I am experiencing a similar dilemma. I just purchased a new iMac for production and upgraded Logic to 10.6.1. I am now using a new Clarett 2Pre because my old MOTU interface was 32 bit and I needed 64. Having trouble with bus routing. #1 problem is that I can not hear what I'm recording in my headphones while recording. After I record I can hear what I recorded in my headphones. I'm pretty confident that this is a Logic issue as I can see signal coming into Logic on the fader I'm recording on. I have a bus to an aux track (headphones). When I turn up the bus knob on my channel there is no signal going to my headphone aux. I know this because there is nothing showing on the meter. After I record on playback. It's there. So weird! Another problem I'm having with aux is that I set up a verb bus and it's only playing out of the left side. So if I use this same track as an example, my phones bus does not work in record mode and my verb bus sends to the aux channel but only right side. I have also noticed when bringing in older projects that there is a noticable balance problem. so looking at the main out meters one could clearly see that the mix is heavy to the left. I am constantly questioning what I'm hearing. It's quite maddening. Anyway if anybody has a clue I'm all ears. I did a call with Apple last night and they were baffled. My case is being escalated to a senior engineer but probably will not get looked into until after the weekend. So I guess this will be a write only weekend. Cheers to all.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm posting this in two threads as they seem to be about the same problem... (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153767&start=20)

Logic suddenly during recording, and seemingly at random, reassigns my bus and channel inputs, deleting plug ins and also removing an entire bus channel...

I've had this happen to me twice now, and for me it's happened since updating Logic to 10.5.1, I'm not sure it has anything to do with that as I see people have reported this problem on earlier versions also... I'm on a 2016 MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.5. recording with a UAD Arrow interface.

I did nothing out of the ordinary, no movie files etc. just plain audio recording. I have several sends, and am using the Logic drummer.

I do not have several projects open at the same time. I never do.

it's a nightmare to say the least, can anyone please help? I did a "saved as" on the corrupt version and luckily had saved only an hour before it happened. I'm attaching "before and after" pictures of the mixer to illustrate what's happened...

1373775829_Logicerrorbefore.thumb.png.4a7da09801c3523f46c8b0d8e690b1e3.png

986927140_logicerrorafter.thumb.png.8f6c02d734b009772846ccaba1fb4277.png

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened for me too, Logic version 10.5.1. Thankfully in a much smaller project, and I have backup

Advice for anyone seeing this: Learn about Git, open a free bitbucket account, download the Sourcetree app, and start using version control for your projects. I started doing this after learning to use Git as a software developer, and it's been a game changer for me. Every change I make, I make a commit, I and I can always go back to any previous state of the project. No multiple backup versions of the project lying around with cryptic names, and if my computer breaks down, my projects are easily retrieved from Bitbucket

I don't think the overhead of version control is necessary, for most people, just making backups of their project file (Logic has this feature built in) is sufficient should they need to go back.

Are you also committing your binary audio files? Because losing or corrupting recorded audio is in many ways more of a problem if it happens, but again is solved for important material to always have a backup elsewhere and work on copies, so you're covered whatever happens.

Honestly, I think it's more important for people to learn responsible data handling, than just blindly assume a software solution will always have their back. That skill will serve anyone working with data well.