"Some additional content is needed for this project" [SOLVED]

mugtree2000

I have an external hard drive for storage.

I can't think I have changed anything.

But last night I was getting this message after starting a new project (no template) and opening Ultrabeat or anything then getting this message:

2003172623_Screenshot2019-11-05at07_37_08.thumb.png.6f0f9ffd63f3e43cc575cd7d98cc61eb.png

I clicked Download, but still getting the same message.

Everything was already downloaded anyway! As it shows here...

1277420110_Screenshot2019-11-05at07_36_50.thumb.png.99d90bc9d04c8a0ffe88e1c5ed0050cb.png

I also reindexed the whole sound library and I still get the message!...

2003172623_Screenshot2019-11-05at07_37_08.thumb.png.6f0f9ffd63f3e43cc575cd7d98cc61eb.png

Any ideas please? Many thanks

EDIT 17th November 2019: I have changed to [sOLVED] although I am not 100% sure how I solved it and if it has sorted it long term. I think re-indexing spotlight did it. You have to wait for the reindexing to finish, which is hard to track the progress but took a few hours I think. So please try that first! Good luck.

Edited by mugtree2000

Maybe. But I can't see how, as it's a completely blank new project with no template settings, straight out of the box.

It seems to be affecting sounds in UB (so some work some don't). And drum machine designer (which is UB of course) which makes sense that doesn't work for all sounds either.

Please don't link to videos to describe your issue. I would rather you answer the questions by writing your answers in this thread. It's much faster for me and it means it participates in building the large database of questions/answers this forum is. If that helps you can attach screenshots to your thread: How to attach files to your post. Thanks!

I totally understand. Website issues are like LPX issues! Especially when you are not sure what is causing.

When I click Download, it downloads about 2gb of stuff. Once downloaded, I get all the sounds for that preset, eg Electro house kit for UB. But then if I load up DKD, and click on the kick that won't make a sound. So it's not filling in the "gaps".

I guess it must be a linking issue with the library? I am using the new system they introduced to make using an external storage device easier.

Thank you for your continued help.

What's really frustrating is that the whole library linking system is completely concealed so we have no idea what creates those issues or how to resolve them, short of reinstalling the entire library. Which is time consuming, polluting, inefficient, and plain silly. Unfortunately I have no idea how to help further in your situation. :(

Maybe try contacting Apple support and see what they have to say about the issue? If nothing else that will make them aware of one more user being touched by this frustrating problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I might have some additional info and insight that could save others from the same headache that I had with this..

Anyway, I've had the dreaded "some additional content is needed for this project" thing for quite a while with Ultrabeat, Drum Machine Designer (which makes sense, considering the back-en is the same, or whatever exactly the relation between the 2 is..) and recently while doing a livestream stream, one of the Logic Drummer kits gave me the same thing.. Like other people have noted, downloading said additional content never really worked, or it only loads a few of the missing samples etc.. Also, sometimes I could "fix" Ultrabeat by manually loading the kit in question using the 'Import' tab in Ultrabeat. This would fix all kits, but after a reboot of the machine it would be back to square one. At this point I had enough of this and promised myself I'd look into fixing it when I had some time.

Initially I used the "Reinstall Sound Library" function, figuring it might just be an error with the current content.. 60gb over potato internet later: no luck..

I started reading some things online and then realised I probably still had my Sound Library Sym-linked to my external HDD, like ye olde days. I also deduced this from the fact that the "Relocate Sound Library" option was greyed out.

Okay, cool, we're getting somewhere. Deleted all my old Logic and Garage Band symlinks, had logic download the 60gb.. again.. and what do you know! it worked! Everything loads fine in Ultrabeat and the other drummers etc.. great, now let's just use the "Relocate Sound Library" function like a good boy, following all of Logic's modern rules and finally properly have the Library on my external HDD.

Spoiler alert: the problem came back.. ugh..

At this point I was about to call it a day, but went back to this trusty forum one more time, to possibly read up on some solutions that I could ponder and apply the next day.

I read a different thread where someone suggested deleting the Logic prefs plists, considering that might be related and some corruption could've happened in there. Seemed Logical (hehe), this method has resolved issues in the past, So I figured I'd give it a shot the next day.. Really wasn't looking forward to having to reset all of my custom preferences again, but wanted to get this solved..

Anyway, I guess in my melty-brain state at 3am I closed the tab with the thread that had this advice and today I took it as a sign to do some more digging, before going through all the trouble of the Preferences thing.

I found this thread and the and the Spotlight re-indexing thing seemed like a eureka moment to me, hadn't thought of this.

So I gave it a shot and let Spotlight re-index my Mac HD.. whilst in the Spotlight preferences Privacy tab I saw that I had set it up to not Index my external HDD, like ages ago, so this gave me another thing to try if re-indexing my Mac HD didn't solve the problem.

Good foresight, Mac HD re-index didn't solve it.

So I decided to remove my external HDD from the "index blacklist", but set it up so it would only index the Library folder containing the Logic Content and excluded the rest of the disk, cuz I don't need all the junk in there to get indexed by Spotlight all the time.. and what do you know? IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!

Sorry for the long-winded response.. I just needed to share and work through my pain with some fellow Logic users haha.

I just felt this might be useful info to add to the vast amount of great info and resources on this Forum!

TLDR:

When all Logic Content is fully installed and correctly moved to the desired location using the "Relocate Sound Library" function within Logic and you still get the dreaded "Some additional content is needed for this project" prompt:

Don't delete your logic prefs like an absolute madman! (okay, sometimes it's a good way to solve issues, but not necessary here).

Instead, have Spotlight re-index the location at which the actual Logic content is located (So not the Logic-created Symlinks on your Mac HD, from using the Relocate Sound Library function, but the actual destination of the content).

And make sure that if said location was excluded from Spotlight Index to begin with.. (like my dumb self) that you actually re-add it and have Spotlight Index that location.

To let Spotlight Re-Index a disk or folder:

Open System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy -> click "+" -> add the folder or disk containing the Logic Content Folder -> after it's added, remove it again by clicking the "-", this will prompt Spotlight to Re-Index said location.

So it seems Ultrabeat, Drum Machine Designer and the Drummer's ability to properly find and access all the necessary samples is directly tied to Spotlight Index.

I definitely learned something new today! :D

Oh yeah, I'm on Logic 10.4.8 still, I doubt the new 10.5 functions any differently, but hey, who knows.. Anyway, I wanted to resolve this issue before updating to 10.5 (after finishing some urgent projects, look at me being responsible) so that my shiny new Logic update wouldn't still be plagued by this issue.

Funny (not really) that you updated this thread as I am not going through the same problem again! My own fault maybe, as I was doing some house keeping and changed the name of my external hard drive from samsung_t5 (I think it was) to something more descriptive "Music". Well, that's completely thrown it and having to start again. Changed it back to samsung_t5 but no good. Having to reinstall library and spotlight re-index. Such a pain when you find time to play on Logic and you have to go through all this. Edited by mugtree2000

I feel your pain..

I think there is a thread somewhere that explains how to not have to re-download all the content, but I'm not sure where/how exactly that worked..

I think it was something along the lines of having logic only download the "essential content" and then placing the rest of the full library you already have in the location of the newly downloaded content, but don't quote me on this.

Looks like it's sorted now, after reinstalling the whole library - about 2 hours. Then re building spotliight - left it over night to do. You have to wait till that status bar is done when you bring up spotlight and search for something the blue bar pops up under what you are searching for. To start it you have to do this slightly odd thing where you add then remove the HD and external (which is what I did) and then remove it. As per: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716