Logic Pro X (Faster Start)

jimdilian
Go to solution Solved by skijumptoes,

Yes only Logic Pro X has this behaviour, problems validating AU's and Sometimes Always re-scanning some AU's , you can find plenty of information about that behavior on the web.. not only on this forum.. and the others DAWS.. like Reaper, Ableton, and Studio One.. don't act this way with the same plugins.. on the same exactly system.

Maybe they're human and feel frustrated? Long shot i know, but entirely possible.

And i'd say a change to a new SSD, uninstalling, reinstalling, removing cache files, checking for stray plugins and updating supporting software DOES sound like someone trying to find a problem to me.

Why feel the need to be so obtuse on the matter? We're supposed to be helping one another, not question their validity or human response when things don't work as they should.

I think the OP is fully aware that this behaviour is not normal, or they wouldn't be asking for help. If you've not experienced problems, what use is telling someone that your system runs fine? It's like doing star jumps in front of someone with a broken leg.

I think it's very helpful information in the troubleshooting process to know that someone's situation is unique and not widespread.

For example, If my fade tool doesn't work in a new Logic version and I post about it, everybody else saying their fade tool works just fine in that same Logic version tells me the issue is not widespread but unique to my system. Therefore I may turn my attention somewhere else and try for example trashing preferences, or turn off some 3rd party mouse pointer utility tools. For all I know, the issue is unrelated to Apple and there's nothing they could fix.

Another fallacy I often see when troubleshooting is, when trying plug-in X with DAWs A, B, C and D and my results are:

A+X = doesn't work

B+X = works fine

C+X = works fine

D+X = works fine

Then that alone shows that the culprit is necessarily DAW A. That's a fallacy. In fact the same fallacy could show that the culprit is plug-in X with a different set of tests with other plug-ins getting the results:

X+A = doesn't work

U+A = works fine

Y+A = works fine

Z+A = works fine

It could very well be that X has a faulty programming that isn't affecting the way it works with DAWs B, C and D but does affect the way it works with DAW A. I've seen this happen many times. This could for example stem from a situation where A has implemented a stricter verification process of the A.U. standard causing plug-in X to create issues vs B, C and D which have a loser verification process don't create those issues. In that case you certainly wouldn't want A to also implement a loser verification process to make X work the same way it does on B, C and D.

Well this is the thing, as other DAWs don't have to pass Apples certification (as they're not going via the app store) then Logic will always be stricter and thus fall down when other DAWs don't, that's what i touched on previously, and have experienced from a developer perspective with app store myself.

When you're getting a better experience from non-apple products via OS level functions, it is frustrating as the platform provider should have this nailed. If Apple has stricter verification then is it too much to ask that they at least reveal why or what is causing startup delays for their users?

Luckily, there's a few known culprits out there which usually fixes such issues, but beyond that being told that it's not normal behaviour is of no help when you're 3 pages deep in to a discussion, that was established at the start.

Also, I don't think that the OP was ever under the illusion that this is 'normal' behaviour. The frustration towards Apple/Logic is not knowing the cause in order to fix, no-one expects Apple to forego their own certifications, but giving the user a helping hand to diagnose issues would be nice.

All I know is that All my AU's work perfectly with the other DAWS.. and in Logic Pro X too they work too.. "BUT" only logic rescan Some AU's "Not Validate" some AU's and.. only Logic Pro X takes 1:20 seconds to Startup.. for years.. I've working like this..

and the other DAWS start in less that 10 seconds.. so I wish Logic Pro X could do something about this.. and stops re-scaning AU's on every Start.. or do it.. only ONCE:. and not always.. for a User like me.. this is not good.. if you search in google.. you will find.. Pages... and Pages and Pages.. poiting the same problem.. with AU validation.. and always re.scaning AU's ... it is not an Invention of me..

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&q=how+to+get+logic+to+stop+scanning+plugins&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwjPTk-vXkAhUmTt8KHWW7ClgQ1QIoAXoECDIQAg&biw=1190&bih=993

All I know is that All my AU's work perfectly with the other DAWS.. and in Logic Pro X too they work too.. "BUT" only logic rescan Some AU's "Not Validate" some AU's and.. only Logic Pro X takes 1:20 seconds to Startup.. for years.. I've working like this..

and the other DAWS start in less that 10 seconds.. so I wish Logic Pro X could do something about this.. and stops re-scaning AU's on every Start.. or do it.. only ONCE:. and not always.. for a User like me.. this is not good.. if you search in google.. you will find.. Pages... and Pages and Pages.. poiting the same problem.. with AU validation.. and always re.scaning AU's ... it is not an Invention of me..

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&q=how+to+get+logic+to+stop+scanning+plugins&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwjPTk-vXkAhUmTt8KHWW7ClgQ1QIoAXoECDIQAg&biw=1190&bih=993

What did you do until now to troubleshoot your problem? We might find other things to test to isolate the culprit.

Blink

jimdilian - i'm curious if it's still hanging on the 'Searching for...' process, or is actually 'scanning' - that's a crucial factor in diagnosing this, as i've never seen it freeze on the 'Searching for...' part, but the concern is it's a permissions/file access issue.

The only way you can rule that out is running with a new user account. Edit: Damn, seen you tried that already!

maybe that is because I use an app called " OSX Validate All AUs" after it rescans for the first time my AU.. to use NI - Spektral Delay with 32 lives.. because.. Logic Pro X fails to validate that AU.. but you can disable "OSX Validate All AUs" and get back to normal.. but even.. with "OSX Validate All AUs" disable restart computer and start Logic Pro X "normal".. it takes the same time.. I was using Ableton to check that specific AU and ableton passes that AU no problems.. Reaper too.. and Studio one too. . I wonder.. why is Logic Pro X so "Strict" with the Validation AU's "Thing"... ableton starts in less that 4 seconds.. almost immediately..

• Solution

Ahhh ok, yes probably your culprit then.

See, with Apple they not only have to promote the app to run smoothly, but also the OS as a whole. Ableton/Cockos/Presonus don't have to withhold any care or maintenance for the OS so they do what's best for their products and customers.

What this means is that Apple products will have the strictest validation and blacklist based on their own ruleset - otherwise, if they don't do that then plugin manufacturers start to take liberties by not sticking to AU guidelines - golden rule for any AU manufacturer is if it runs in Logic, then it's a saleable AU.

If these companies (Cockos etc) were subject to certification from Apple (i.e. if deploying via the app store) then they would be forced to uphold the same validations and OS maintenance tasks that Logic has to endure i imagine. If Apple aren't firm with their requirements then the AU spec becomes a bigger mess.

So, you can understand the scenario. And what's important in your case is that you probably have the answer there, and at least Logic has been blacklisting a plugin to indicate where the problem is so can't wholly blame Logic for not relaying back any issues to you as i original thought.

In this case, i don't know what solution there is for you really, as i don't use the spectral plugin, 32 lives, or that validation app to even begin to know how to help. I think you may have to bare with it, as much as it pains me to agree with triplets initial 'nope' reply lol. - Perhaps he IS a genius ;)

What might be useful, is to check out the plugin manager to see if there is a plugin that is NOT passing the validation process. You can also reset and revalidate from there. Logic displays the progress in a separate window. So you could see if a particular plugin is slowing the whole thing down. A sample output:

validating Audio Unit UVIWorkstation by UVI:

AU Validation Tool

Version: 1.6.1a1

Copyright 2003-2013, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Specify -h (-help) for command options

--------------------------------------------------

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'UVIW' - 'UVI '

Manufacturer String: UVI

AudioUnit Name: UVIWorkstation

Component Version: 3.0.5 (0x30005)

* * PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:

COLD:

Time to open AudioUnit: 130.146 ms

WARM:

Time to open AudioUnit: 1.583 ms

FIRST TIME:

Time for initialization: 0.048 ms

* * PASS

Ahhh ok, yes probably your culprit then.

See, with Apple they not only have to promote the app to run smoothly, but also the OS as a whole. Ableton/Cockos/Presonus don't have to withhold any care or maintenance for the OS so they do what's best for their products and customers.

What this means is that Apple products will have the strictest validation and blacklist based on their own ruleset - otherwise, if they don't do that then plugin manufacturers start to take liberties by not sticking to AU guidelines - golden rule for any AU manufacturer is if it runs in Logic, then it's a saleable AU.

If these companies (Cockos etc) were subject to certification from Apple (i.e. if deploying via the app store) then they would be forced to uphold the same validations and OS maintenance tasks that Logic has to endure i imagine. If Apple aren't firm with their requirements then the AU spec becomes a bigger mess.

So, you can understand the scenario. And what's important in your case is that you probably have the answer there, and at least Logic has been blacklisting a plugin to indicate where the problem is so can't wholly blame Logic for not relaying back any issues to you as i original thought.

In this case, i don't know what solution there is for you really, as i don't use the spectral plugin, 32 lives, or that validation app to even begin to know how to help. I think you may have to bare with it, as much as it pains me to agree with triplets initial 'nope' reply lol. - Perhaps he IS a genius ;)

Oh I see.. so Logic Pro X is paying for the broken dishes for others .. mm.. that's why only Logic Pro X does that.. I see.. Bad news for me then..

Oh I see.. so Logic Pro X is paying for the broken dishes for others .. mm.. that's why only Logic Pro X does that.. I see.. Bad news for me then..

See, that's what I was saying all along. When troubleshooting, it's unhelpful to jump to conclusions and point to a culprit too quickly. You need to follow a logical process. And in that process, it's helpful to know from others with seemingly the same tools as yours that they work flawlessly, as it helps pointing out to the correct culprit.

Glad to hear you now know what's causing your issue.

Yes.. I think that Will never change in Logic Pro X then.. so.. It will always be 1:20 no matter how fast my computer goes.. that is Bad News.. and Apple will never Change that thing that ONLY Logic Pro X Does.. so... I guess I start Learning other DAW then.. I've been Testing Reaper.. in my free Time.. and.. after 1 week.. I starting to love it more and more.. it has All that Logic Pro X will never have .. besides that problem on the startup that many users have.. with 32 lives , all I can say is that the more I use Reaper.. the More I love it.. man.. it has ALL the commands I was asking for logic to have and more ¡.. Many super advanced features that I wish Logic Pro X could implement.. and I know will never happen.. because of apple mentality.. so.. I guess.. little by little .. I am starting to say goodbye to Logic Pro X .

They're all good, so go with whatever works. Sadly, in your scenario this IS normal Logic behaviour, so there's very little you can do. A 2 minute wait wouldn't stop me from using a DAW, but i understand other features that would (REAPER has a 32>64 bit bridge for example).

Great thing about Logic is that now you own it you haven't got to keep up on yearly upgrades should you decide to return to it later down the line, and i'm sure you will return as it's a very full featured suite that's enjoyable to use. REAPER is a very useful bag of nuts and bolts in comparison. :D :lol: :P

But if Apple decide to merge ios/macos as expected then anything that runs on MacOS legally 'may' require App Store/Apple certification in future, which could affect the startup behaviour of third party DAWs too. All will be revealed during the ARM Cpu era i guess.

I believe you've completely missed my point, but if you're going to change DAW over this then so be it. Some people make beautiful music with all kinds of software and if you find one that suits you better then that's the one you should be using.

I for one do hope Apple never change their mentality in this regard, since it means they have higher standards than the other DAWs (and pushing those higher standards on plug-in developers) when it comes to the stability of my entire music software ecosystem. That rigorously enforced stability is what makes me trust my entire music production studio more, which in turn allows me to focus more on the music and less on maintaining the tools I use to produce the music.

• 7 months later...

40 seconds is a long startup, but... how often do you startup logic? i'd be more concerned with how a DAW works, how it behaves when i use it.

i've used PT a lot (in the past), played with Live, checked out cubase. they're all paths to the same thing; like people who argue about safari vs chrome vs firefox; who cares? all paths to the same internet.

use what you want, have fun, make music. only you can decide what's ok (startup time, functionality, the GUI, features, etc)... what you can live with, and what you can't.

if you can spend 40 seconds making a video like that, maybe you can wait 40 seconds for logic to start up. just a thought.

I kicked 32 bit plugins to the curb years ago and there isn’t one I miss. And while I use a lot of third party FX , the truth is that the stock Logic plugins are so good I really could get by limiting myself to only them.

i could never do that; especially with synth plugins. also, things like izotope nectar 3 (plus i love my fabfilter eq/comp etc). but it's true, one can do great things with a default logic setup.

It takes tube amps 1-2 minutes to warm up but people continue to use them because we get the results (tone) we want from them that faster starting solid state amps can’t achieve. And then you still have to tune up the guitar (another minute or two) but we still keep playing real guitars with real strings.

It all about the results. Don’t abandon a daw you like because it doesn’t open instantly. Think about this... you could easily spend 40 hours learning the basics of a new daw. That equals the time you’ll loose booting up logic 3,600 times. If you boot up Logic ten times a day, it’d take a year before you break even on ‘lost time’.

Another option is work the boot up time into your workflow. Open logic, stir your coffee, then pick up your instrument, and bingo, Logic is ready!

40 seconds is a long startup, but... how often do you startup logic? i'd be more concerned with how a DAW works, how it behaves when i use it.

i've used PT a lot (in the past), played with Live, checked out cubase. they're all paths to the same thing; like people who argue about safari vs chrome vs firefox; who cares? all paths to the same internet.

use what you want, have fun, make music. only you can decide what's ok (startup time, functionality, the GUI, features, etc)... what you can live with, and what you can't.

if you can spend 40 seconds making a video like that, maybe you can wait 40 seconds for logic to start up. just a thought.

yes ......but Reapear takes 6 seconds to startup.. don't understand why logic takes 40 seconds.. I understand your point.. but I am just reporting..

yes ......but Reapear takes 6 seconds to startup.. don't understand why logic takes 40 seconds.. I understand your point.. but I am just reporting..

sure, and on one of my collabs mac, word takes forever to open, and indesign takes even longer. but both programs get used, because that's their value; to be used... once they open.

if reaper works for you, that's great. but to abandon logic because of it's startup time (vs, say, crashes, dislike of the workflow, etc) seems... ridiculous. but just my thought; do what you choose to do.

i've lost track of the details of this thread, but... have you tried disabling 3rd-party plugins? if that changes things, you can add them back in slowly, see if you can pinpoint an issue.

or delete logic's preferences. or reset nvram, run disk first aid. or try a 'test' user account; does it happen there?

if it were me, i'd spend one afternoon troubleshooting, and if i couldn't resolve it... i'd just get back to work.

"if it were me, i'd spend one afternoon troubleshooting, and if i couldn't resolve it... i'd just get back to work."

I entirely agree with Fisherking's statement. It's easy to spend far too much time trying to get to the bottom of every quirk or oddity that arises after one update or another. I've been guilty of it and I finally grew bored with it, realizing, finally, that my time would be better spent writing and recording. If it's not causing crashes, I'm moving on.

Jim

"what did you do last week?"

"i figured out why logic takes so long to open on my mac, and got it down to 28 seconds, from the 29 it was taking previously. what did you do?"

"i produced 2 hit songs, mastered live loops, and spent the weekend with my girlfriend"

hmmmm. 8-)

yes.. I know.... but man mine took 1 Min 30 seconds to start... now it is 40... seconds.. thta's good..

and by the way I don't like HITS..

that music is for.. ,, forget it.