Studio Strings issue

3ple

I have a region and I have some sustain chords.

When I insert the Studio Strings, even though I'm changing it to Staccato under Articulation, it always plays as Sustain.

But if I play on my MIDI controller, it plays as staccato. The Last Played Articulation keeps changing from Sustain to Staccato, depending on what is playing. If it's the controller, it shows Staccato, if it's the MIDI region it changes to Sustain.

Am I missing something here? Is this a bug?

Since I posted this threat, I was checking online and saw that I can activate the articulation under the Track section in the Inspector. Now the issue is:

If I create a new track, insert the Studio Strings, create a new region and draw some notes with the pencil, it gets stuck as Sustain, even if I change the articulation inside the plugin's window.

If I record with my MIDI and I choose Staccato before I record, then the recorded notes are staccato. But if I then try to change the articulation inside the plugin's window, it doesn't change to the new articulation. The only way to change it is by going to the Track section in the Inspector, activate the articulation for the specific strings' type (i.e. Violins, Small Section, etc).

The articulation only works and changes the sound while I'm playing on my controller. That's good, so I can hear the effect of the articulation. But it doesn't make any difference if the midi is already recorded. Shouldn't it change as well, once the midi is already recorded?

For recorded MIDI notes, select notes in either the piano roll or event list. Two options for the next step:

1. In the Piano Roll, right-click on one of the selected notes to select Articulations>your choice, or

2. In the Event list with the Articulation column visible, click on the articulation field to select an articulation.

If this is not working, then something else is going on.

For recorded MIDI notes, select notes in either the piano roll or event list. Two options for the next step:

1. In the Piano Roll, right-click on one of the selected notes to select Articulations>your choice, or

2. In the Event list with the Articulation column visible, click on the articulation field to select an articulation.

If this is not working, then something else is going on.

Yes, I saw a video and it showed me the option of right-clicking the note(s) and choosing Articulation > whatever articulation I need.

I was just expecting that Articulation option inside the plugin itself to affect the notes as well, not just the ones played with the controller, but also the recorded notes. But maybe that makes more sense the way it is ;)

Thanks for the reply!

There are few concepts to understand regarding ArtID implementation in Logic:

1. LPX's ArtID is not part of the standard MIDI protocole.

2. The ArtID byte is added (by Logic) to each note event during the recorded performance, providing that the Articulation Set Editor is properly configured and the MIDI remote switch is enabled.

3. If ArtIDs have not been recorded (as described above, in 2.), ArtID has to be added manually using the Piano Roll or Event List editors as described in previous posts.

4. It is the note event's embedded ArtID that will trigger the software instrument articulation changes, not the track's selected Articulation Set. The latter serves as translator between the embedded note's ArtID and the virtual instrument.