Track stack deep nesting

pyroz

..good old topic and question: is it possible to have track stacks within track stacks?

Other daws (actually the majority of them) offer that simple, obvious and enormously helpful possibility.

Logic seems not.

You can have just two layers with a summing stack inside a folder stack. And that’s it.

But what if I would like to better organize my template through a more structured folder hierarchy?

Ie. 1st folder “Strings”; 2nd “Violins”; 3rd “First vl.” a.. and so on..

Come on, it’s just a stupid matter of folders: why Logic should not do that?! Still in 2019?!

Or am I wrong?

..I’ve recently found this post (2015) on another forum which says the following:

Although you can put a summing track stack into a folder stack then put the folder stack into another folder stack and repeat as much as you want. Just keep in mind it's only possible via drag and drop.

How is it possible that image here attached??

..once upon a time Logic could do that??

nest.png.6d0b697cd3bfe445674d91bf6d3fce1c.png

• 2 weeks later...
Crazy and unbelievable! So why the hell they decided to throw away an option, command and software script on which they invested time and effort?!

Just incomprehensible!

Typically this happens when the option, command or software script is buggy and unreliable, and they don't know how to fix it, or it would require too much time and effort, or isn't one of their main priorities.

FWIW, you can convert a folder stack into a summing stack by opening the environment, selecting the folder track, and turning it into an aux track (rather than a master fader) via the environment inspector window.

Then just do some manual routing via an unused Bus. You used to be able to this with no limit to achieve what your asking, but I guess not anymore. This at least gets you one more layer of a submix with plugins.

721479740_ScreenShot2019-04-23at2_09_59PM.thumb.png.fa4fc3c3f5855ee246f63ab4c5aab573.png

FWIW, you can convert a folder stack into a summing stack by opening the environment, selecting the folder track, and turning it into an aux track (rather than a master fader) via the environment inspector window.

Then just do some manual routing via an unused Bus. You used to be able to this with no limit to achieve what your asking, but I guess not anymore. This at least gets you one more layer of a submix with plugins.

hmm, nice hack thanks for pointing it out. I personally wish that folder stacks could be multiple levels deep. Right now we can only officially have a summing stack inside a folder stack, or unfortunately a summing stack inside another summing stack. But no folders within folders.

Does make you wonder about why its more limited now. I think probably an unintended consequence of VCA fader supports, but just guessing.

guess I was able to get two folders deep by using your trick the other way. Create a new VCA fader, which create sub2 in the environment. Then change the inner sum channel from AUX to sub2. 2 folder stacks deep.

Near as I can tell the folder assignment is not in the environment anywhere, its in the mixer and arranger and we're blocked from more than 2 deep.

Another thing that's weird about this...when you do this hack, the track inspector for the changed channel is showing the controls for the original channel type... so for example, the hack I just did for two nested folder stacks, the inner one has a VCA fader like we would expect, but the track inspector looks like what we'd expect from an AUX track... god only knows how that would behave. and visa versa, if you create two deep summing stacks, the outer one will not have the full track inspector like you would normally expect for an AUX track.

I don't know what would happen if you put regions onto either converted track at that point...

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I have been experimenting. I am actually able to put a nested Folder Stack inside another Folder Stack. There is a bit of a workaround to make that happen. You have to first make a folder stack, then make a summing stack inside of that. Then you can drag another folder stack inside of the 1st folder stack then later delete the summing stack. You can also get a summing stack inside of the 2nd folder stack creating a deeper nest. As for how stable that is I don't know and I'm thinking I will just go back to summing stacks inside of one folder stack rather than risk something that is probably not supposed to actually be possible.

It's a bit of a PITA honestly.

• 1 year later...

Hello all.

I know this is an old thread, but I came across something similar and very strange in version 10.6.2.

I had an ordinary audio track with some folders on it containing chopped up synth loops from the apple loop library. I wanted to put it inside a summing stack with my other synth tracks, so I selected it along with along with my other synth tracks and lo and behold, the Create Track Stack command was greyed out in the right click menu.

I deselected the audio track with the folders on it and created a summing stack containing my other synth tracks. I was then able to drag the audio track with the folders on it into the stack.

What on earth is that about? :?

By following some quirky procedures it is definitely possible to get nested track stacks...but its not officially supported and I'm not sure if summing stacks are supported that way or not...and I can't remember the quirky procedure..but yea if you move things into other things in the right sequence..you can end up with nested folders... You might eventually run into some problem with it though...FYI.

By following some quirky procedures it is definitely possible to get nested track stacks...but its not officially supported and I'm not sure if summing stacks are supported that way or not...and I can't remember the quirky procedure..but yea if you move things into other things in the right sequence..you can end up with nested folders... You might eventually run into some problem with it though...FYI.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on this project and report back if anything strange happens.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks, I've recently managed to create a deep nesting folder/subfolder structure into Logic!

It is not the official way (since Logic can't go beyond the 2nd level) and I don't know if it is a bug but anyway with that weird method (which is pretty much the one that Dragonwind wrote a few post above), you can realise what is perfectly elementary and easy in other daws.

Made a video on that topic. I'm sorry it's in Italian but I hope it'll be clear for you all anyway.

- Create a STS and put it in a FTS

- Create at least one more STS and move it into that FTS

- Route at least two STS from that FTS manually to another Bus, an Aux will be created

- In the Mixer, right-click that Aux and select Create Track

Now the Aux has turned into a (Meta) STS containing one of the previous STS. In the Main window, you can drag any number of STS into that Meta STS.

- Create a STS and put it in a FTS

- Create at least one more STS and move it into that FTS

- Route at least two STS from that FTS manually to another Bus, an Aux will be created

- In the Mixer, right-click that Aux and select Create Track

Now the Aux has turned into a (Meta) STS containing one of the previous STS. In the Main window, you can drag any number of STS into that Meta STS.

Great! Thanks a lot for providing this info in plain language right here. :D