the OS betas, end of an era... now BACK!

fisherking

for those who know me here, i've been running the mac os (& os x) betas since the public beta program started (1949, i think). there have been some...uh...spirited discussions on this forum about running betas on production macs.

i've had some beta-related issues, and have always found a workaround (the worst, years ago; a lot of AU's wouldn't open; i found a plugin (metapluginMac) that let me access the vsts... and life went on).

but..no more road trips with my macbook pro (replaced now with an imac). and... i have a 12" mb for everything outside of logic & final cut. so.... am thinking of not running the os betas on this mac (we'll see if that lasts). which means, from now on, i will have to read other's posts to learn about the betas, info i always shared in the past.

or as one member here might put it: i have now entered the ranks of the 'real' pros. (or as my mom might say, i'm finally behaving as an adult). 8-)

Edited by fisherking

for years I was always on the 'cutting edge' of technology, hardware and software.. I got tired of the 'bleeding'..

I'm now picturing Fisherking bleeding for us on the war front while we stay safely behind. :mrgreen: Thanks Fisherking! :D

words are just words; please send bandages.....

seriously, everything is working so well it's making me nervous; at least, with the betas, i expect trouble (and trouble is my middle name) :roll:

To be fair, (IMO) the last few betas haven't had anything overly exciting to make it worthwhile jumping in early, so, you're only one announcement away from breaking this rule. Wonder what it will take, i'm sure Apple will find your trigger! ...howabout a new screensaver? :)

As a result, I look forward to your vastly more professional (And stable?) opinions on these boards, please don't forget us folks left in the gutter, we're what made you man!!!

To be fair, (IMO) the last few betas haven't had anything overly exciting to make it worthwhile jumping in early, so, you're only one announcement away from breaking this rule. Wonder what it will take, i'm sure Apple will find your trigger! ...howabout a new screensaver? :)

As a result, I look forward to your vastly more professional (And stable?) opinions on these boards, please don't forget us folks left in the gutter, we're what made you man!!!

ha. are you talking to me?

what interests me most in the betas is the incremental improvements, the under-the hood things; i have yet to, for example, use siri, or stacks on the desktop (full disclosure; i've had the dock locked away since about 10.3). i want my mac to run my apps (on the imac, that's logic and final cut) well; fast, stable.

right now, on 10.14.4, everything is singing; worked on 3 projects yesterday; no glitches, stalls, weirdness (except the music of course, haha). why mess that up with a beta? :mrgreen:

right now, on 10.14.4, everything is singing; worked on 3 projects yesterday; no glitches, stalls, weirdness (except the music of course, haha). why mess that up with a beta? :mrgreen:

That's cool man, i only got on the Beta cycle for my audio machine as we get such a poor mobile phone reception where i am and it was when Apple started to roll out the integration between phones and macs so you could leave your phone up high in a window with 4G then text/make calls via the Mac. It's invaluable to me.

I've rolled with betas ever since, but i don't know why anymore as there's nothing which really screams to me like how that did... however long it ago it was now. (Feels like 2 years and 'new' tech to me still, but probably much longer ago lol).

My beta experience is, find problem, try beta to fix problem, realize now more problems, try each new beta to resolve old problems only to create new ones. Almost like the definition of insanity. Yup....

for me, most of the betas did not negatively impact logic X; one beta, tho, made in impossible to 'save as', & a few other things (& i found workarounds). the best moments i've had is when logic runs better, handles large projects easier... this has happened a number of times (and bodes well for any upcoming 'final' release).

the mojave betas, in general, have been less problematic than any other mac os (or os x) betas i've run (& i started at the beginning)...

• 4 weeks later...

am back. i finished 2 big projects this week (still more to go), but... am tempted to... dive back into the betas (you knew this would happen).

everything's going so well with the imac, seems... time to throw a wrench into things (probably doesn't help that i'm reading john lydon (johnny rotten's) book right now :mrgreen: )

thoughts?

I think he got it spot on with Saville but was silenced, yes.

...or did you mean thoughts on betas? :) You're aware we ALL secretly use you to test the water, so of course you should risk breaking your machine for our benefit! :) *ahem* for your advancement i mean.

ha, will decide this weekend, am taking (what's it called?), some 'downtime'.... thanks.

installing the beta now (and here, i feel like i should be laughing maniacally); i return to work monday or tuesday, will see how things go (but am sure i'll open logic at least once this weekend... just to check).

my break from the betas: short-lived. but what the hell.... 8-)

I'm of the mind that the betas are 99% placebo and the things that Apple is actively working on at any given beta cycle probably have little or nothing to do with the things that you might hope are being addressed. I'm guessing that there is a threshold of reported issues that if not met doesn't get any attention at all. kinda like the rest of life in general.

fishr.. are you going to go with the upcoming 64 bit only betas? that would be very daring. I think I'll probably hold off on that one.

I'm of the mind that the betas are 99% placebo and the things that Apple is actively working on at any given beta cycle probably have little or nothing to do with the things that you might hope are being addressed. I'm guessing that there is a threshold of reported issues that if not met doesn't get any attention at all. kinda like the rest of life in general.

fishr.. are you going to go with the upcoming 64 bit only betas? that would be very daring. I think I'll probably hold off on that one.

the betas are exactly what they're supposed to be: incremental steps forward. i have seen things fixed, and... things broken. and yes, am moving to 10.15; the only thing i lose is quicktime 7 (which is old anyway).

meanwhile... i installed the beta, andi just opened logic and it now looks like this; is this the future??

LPXwtf.png

In general OSX updates are coming quicker and less problematic.. I was having an issue with my mac pro 10 months ago, and Apple techs were strong on me updating. I usually wait a month or more. But i think they have they stuff down now, so there are no 'oh oh's...

In general OSX updates are coming quicker and less problematic.. I was having an issue with my mac pro 10 months ago, and Apple techs were strong on me updating. I usually wait a month or more. But i think they have they stuff down now, so there are no 'oh oh's...

it's always a bit of a gamble, and it would be foolish (am pointing this out to myself as much as anyone else) to assume that, down the line, we won't see issues with a beta. but, again, the mojave betas have been pretty consistenly great (unlike previous years).

wait for the 10.15 beta era (WWDC?) to start, when 32-bit apps are no longer supported... and all hell breaks loose. & i will be there, to report what's happening (in between fits of rage and pools of tears)....

I'm surprised at how many apps will not be useable once 32 bit support is dropped.

I have sent emails to all of the support teams.

And haven't received any responses.

So it looks like several apps will have to go by the wayside.

Which is a shame, because it means I might have to but a new sound card.

But seriously, the Mojave beta program has been relatively painless, and it's the non music apps that have given me the most problems.

i'm running an older dreamweaver, and some of the adobe support apps are 32-bit; will have to deal with that. and quicktime 7 (which, to be fair, is really old now), will no longer run. but on my logic/finalcut mac, everything is already 64-bit, so 10.15 should, in theory, be ok here... (in theory)...