44.1 khz and 48 khz question

Radiussound
Go to solution Solved by Eriksimon,

Hi Logic Users,

In Project Settings there is an option to set the sample rate, this option in also available in the Bounce window.

If the sample rate khz value in Project Settings is 44.1 khz, and I set the khz in Bounce window to 48 khz.

Will the project be bounced to 48 khz or to 44.1?

The reason I ask this because I need different version of my track. 1 version 44.1 khz, the other version 48 khz.

I have noticed when I change sample rate in Project Settings, all plugins have to re-load. But when I change the sample rate in Bounce window, no plugin has to re-load at the project is bouced instantly.

So do the sample rate in Project settings and in Bounce window have to match?

Or does the sample rate in Bounce window overrule the sample rate in Project Settings?

Thanks.

Radiussound

The mix will be bounced at the project's sample rate and then converted to the sample rate in the bounce dialog if it differs from the project's sample rate.

It is a file conversion which as a principle should be avoided if possible, but I have not heard any ill effects so far. Perhaps Holger can chime in on this.

I stand technically corrected, as I do get what sounds like dithering noise at -84,3 dBFS (in this movie I added 48 dB at the output, to get visuals on the meter). No musical content is audible though.

Dithering noise +48 dB.gif

At 84dBFS that is quite significant though, if a good converter gives us 120dB dynamic range isn't it? That raises noise by 40dB, probably into the audible range, even though it may not be a problem. Thanks so much testing!

Interesting, I repeated Erik's test, with different results. I don't get any HF noise (did you have dither on while bouncing?), but I get occasional crackles every 3 secs or so. Seems to be related to heavy low frequency transients on the original. The artifacts are more pronounced on a louder track. On the quieter track I don't actually hear anything but the meters show a signal. Probably very high frequency.

Louder track:

1782237988_ScreenShot2019-04-05at13_18_57.thumb.png.d0d4a5e7604c057cefc72ab46622086b.png

Quieter track:

1743858282_ScreenShot2019-04-05at13_28_02.thumb.png.f338f6631803e55070e1775ac9d8378e.png