Transparent tracks?

drakepeterdrake

In the attached screenshot, the tracks that are turned off ("kenny ld" and "syn vox") are grayed-out and the vertical time markers can be seen through them. Is there a way to make active tracks, which are colored, transparent as well? It would make it easier for editing.

Thanks.

Peter

No real way to do it unfortunately (it's one of Logic's many glaring omissions).

You can work in the Audio Track Editor instead, or turn the track off to edit it (I can't believe I'm actually suggesting that).

• 7 months later...
There’s a glitch since logic 10.4.5 that allows this. When you mute an track in the main window it greys out (making bar lines visible). If you then unmute using the mixer, it unmutes bit doesn’t change the greyed out status in the main window. So you can hear the audio while seeing the region greyed out. If you toggle mute/unmute again in the main window it will change back to solid (not greyed out).

There’s a glitch since logic 10.4.5 that allows this. When you mute an track in the main window it greys out (making bar lines visible). If you then unmute using the mixer, it unmutes bit doesn’t change the greyed out status in the main window. So you can hear the audio while seeing the region greyed out. If you toggle mute/unmute again in the main window it will change back to solid (not greyed out).

Really?

I guess they ironed it out for 10.4.7 :|

I wonder... do Logic devs ever browse this forum?

I'm trying some of the free DAWs out there.... Ardour for example has transparency options galore.

Copy Paste behavior like PT

Stereo to Mono track splitting like PT

Wondering what those are that you can't do in Logic? Haven't used PT in years.

Hi David,

In Pt you're able to select a time range containing regions and gaps / silence and copy paste / repeat this multiple times replacing all other regions and gaps already on a track. I use this a lot as I work with straight audio regions (non midi or sampler tracks) a lot to create my drum patterns and loops.

I think this is what paste and replace is supposed to do in LP?

A stereo track can be splitted into two new mono tracks L R with just one click. You will end up with the original stereo track and the two new mono tracks. I use this a lot as I'm sampling mostly old records which may have a nice drumloop on the L and something else on the R.

Hmm you're right Paste Replace doesn't seem like it would work for your application.

As for splitting a stereo track it's not one click but you can Option-drag a track to copy it along with its content then click hold the input format button (top left of the channel strip) to choose Left on the first one, Right on the second. Unfortunately visually you'll still see a stereo waveform on both tracks.

Really?

Hmmm. Still works for me. Mute status in my main window does not follow changes made in the mixer. Maybe it’s just a lucky issue with my setup. But I did do a 100% fresh (even wiped all config and user files) installation and it came back but other issues I had did not.

Did you mute first using the mute button on the track in the main window, then unmute same track on mixer?

Really?

Hmmm. Still works for me. Mute status in my main window does not follow changes made in the mixer. Maybe it’s just a lucky issue with my setup. But I did do a 100% fresh (even wiped all config and user files) installation and it came back but other issues I had did not.

Did you mute first using the mute button on the track in the main window, then unmute same track on mixer?

Yes, tried it again a couple of times just now, to make sure. No matter which order.

Hmm you're right Paste Replace doesn't seem like it would work for your application.

In LP regular 'paste' and 'paste and replace' seem to do the same thing or am I missing something?

As for splitting a stereo track it's not one click but you can Option-drag a track to copy it along with its content then click hold the input format button (top left of the channel strip) to choose Left on the first one, Right on the second. Unfortunately visually you'll still see a stereo waveform on both tracks.

Thanks.