New Logic Multitrack Benchmark Test

TTOZ

I've gone for the Air, it does seem more stable compared to the Pro once you've hit the warm temperature while the Pro is more jumpy and that at a performance difference of 7% in real tasks.

Also I like that it's always quiet and that I don't have to deal with the touchbar.

The Air has the same performance as the 2.3 GHz i9 Macbook Pro so I'm very happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My new 16-inch MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip arrived today, so why not run the good old multi-track test to see how it performs. I get up to around 156-157 tracks when I start getting interruptions. But I'm most impressed by the complete lack of fan noise. Only if I put my ear close to the keyboard I can hear a distant hum. I've never realised what difference it can make. Astonishing.

Edit: Setting the buffer size to 1024 ms and changing the processing threads setting from automatic to 10 cores allowed me to bump the track count up to 175!

should stay the same on buffer 64, the key to the track bump is changing processing threads.

Generally, with Automatic, Logic leaves efficiency cores alone.

It's even more dramatic on a non-Pro/Max M1 because it has 4 efficiency cores as opposed to two. (you got 20 more tracks, on a 13" M1 you get 40 more.)

• 3 weeks later...
M1 Pro or M1 Max ? :)

The number of available GPU cores will have no affect on the amount of plugin processing Logic can do, so for the purposes of the benchmark, it's irrelevant... ;)

The only real difference between them is more CPU Cores, a second ProRes engine, and the ability to support >32GB of RAM (and the memory bandwidth for that) - the bits that run the plugins are the same in either case...

I've not seen anything that suggests the higher memory bandwidth works on lower RAM amounts, or whether it's only for supporting eg >32GB at the same speed as 16GB, so I can't really comment on that bit... If the former, it's possible that the Max might show some improvements with certain plugins due to moving memory faster but again, I've not seen anything to that effect, so...

My New MBP 16" 16/1TB running this test with 128 samples in Threads in Auto=157. Running with threads at 10=186

M1 Pro or M1 Max ? :)

Sorry, this is the M1 Pro. But as des99 said above, I don't think the Max will do much better in audio. But I am certainly happy with these results so far. the only reason I abandoned my MP was software compatibility issues. I was running up against software requiring an OS I couldn't run.

But I rarely brought my MP to it's knees with my audio work. Once and a while I would freeze tracks, but not very often .

The Pro is a bit lighter than the Max, and as it's a much smaller chip, generates less heat and uses less power - I consider those advantages... ;)

No, it's not going to perform better - honestly, thermal throttling would need some hefty workloads to get to that point, these machines are incredible. I keep touching mine (running clamshell mode) and no matter what I do, it's cold*, silent*, and just feels like it's turned off... (!)

(* This makes me very happy!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
my MacBook Air M1 256 8GB at 32ms hits 105 tracks on the stock plugin project. increasing buffer size does not seem to make a difference though?

[edit: my 4.2 Quad core i7 iMac with 16GB get's stuck at 66 tracks... wow... I'm impressed by the M1]

Hmm, are you still getting 105? I'm seeing a lot of results that are 90 and above but my Air doesn't want to go above 82, even with the Processing Threads and Processing Buffer Range settings maxed out, and at any buffer size.

Geekbench results seem about on par with what's expected.

Is there another setting somewhere I'm overlooking?

• 5 months later...

My M1 Pro 14 inch MBP base model is managing 134 tracks. This is with multithreading set to 8 (6 performance cores) and a buffer of 1024 samples. This is with safari open on this site in the background.

I've had it a good few months now, I am very impressed with the results. As soon as I try 135 it plays about 1/4 of the way then I get system overload. 

Apple really has made something special with this switch to the M series of Processors, and makes me happy that the money I spent will last for its intended use. 

Edit: I tried it without my interface connected, a 1st gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and managed 137 tracks. Is this just a fluke, or is my interface too old now and needs replacement? I have to use a USB convertor to change from old USB to USB3.0/thunderbolt. 

Edited by conanthewarrior

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

No Pro or Max, but regular Mac mini M2 here:

Mac mini 2023 M2, 24 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Ventura 13.6, Logic Pro X 10.7.9

94 stable tracks, can be stopped and started without hiccups. This is with settings optimized for CPU/processing. Ran for 10 minutes, no fan noise.

With my normal settings optimized for responsiveness/latency I get 73 stable tracks in this test.

Test used: NewLogicBenchmarkTest.zip

Edited by Holger Lagerfeldt

• 4 months later...

just ran the benchmark test on my M2 air (16/1tb), and 71 stable tracks. happy enough, as everything i've done so far has worked without issue (so far). and love the portability of this thing.

am producing a band soon; we're recording in a barn (!), and the engineer is going to use his M2 air (with my samsung T7 ssd) to record. will be interesting to see how that goes (and how the mixes go).