Zero Bytes - Show Package Content - Logic X Project

Liensevi

Hello,

What is the solution to this problem I keep having?

I constantly have sessions that when I return to open them at a later date have ZERO BYTES and nothing but 000 in the SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS - ALTERNATIVES - 000 - UNDO DATA.NOSYNC Folders. (See Pictures Below)

If I open the LOGIC PROJECT SESSION the same day it is created it works flawlessly, but when I open them a day, a week or a month later I have problems.

Do I have a BUG?

Is there anyway to fix or reopen these LOGIC X PROJECTS?

Most if not all of my midi .exs and .caf information has all gone, only the .wav and.mp3 remain.

I tried a DATA RECOVERY software but nothing else was found except what I already have.

Logic X 10.4.1

OS 10.13.4

iMac (Late 2009)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

RME FF800 Converters

Thank you!

1382996721_ScreenShot2018-05-26at2_32_54PM.png.79663a12dd2f82df66fc9726215f0c19.png

99747915_ScreenShot2018-05-26at2_49_14PM.thumb.png.98e1164afb31d4a2eb29cfc557462d61.png

474367479_ScreenShot2018-05-26at2_48_52PM.png.d6fa18a8a76b2bb5310debf3c447dcb4.png

It "looks" like he is... saving as a folder.... pls confirm? The logic project itself ( regardless of whether it is saved as a folder or package file) is a package file... The choice relates to how much is also included in the package... i would actually try the opposite and save as a package file not folder and see if the problem continues... While in know many are not, I am actually a big advocate of using package files. Harder to accidentally delete audio references, simpler to transfer to others, easier at least for me to organize my projects.... and I have never had an issue with them.... But I will say - Folders/packages, the assets preferences, save as options and project management consolidate function is difficult to understand the relationship between them all... Do you know what kind of File system you are using ?

i think volovicg is right; in the finder, open a window, and, in the view menu, turn on "show path bar". now all finder windows will show where the file is.

if you ARE saving as a package, try option-dragging (copying) a logic project file to a different location; does it take a minute? and what does that copy show when you highlight it and hit command-i? what's the file size.

either way, there's NO reason to root around in the package contents; move something, delete something... and you can hose the entire project. the ONLY time i ever go into a package file is if i want to COPY an audio file from it (but that's rare).

i've been saving as package since forever, and have NEVER had a problem with this, and (for me), it is so much easier to move things around, or archive projects to an external drive... etc.

anyway, start with volovicg's suggestion.......

i don't think that's showing the package; that option is highlighted, but has not been clicked on... a package file looks like this (column view, 'show path bar' at the bottom):

http://floydfisher.com/images/pkg1.png

and inside the audio folder IN the package:

http://floydfisher.com/images/pkg2.png

It "looks" like he is... saving as a folder.... pls confirm? The logic project itself ( regardless of whether it is saved as a folder or package file) is a package file... The choice relates to how much is also included in the package... i would actually try the opposite and save as a package file not folder and see if the problem continues... While in know many are not, I am actually a big advocate of using package files. Harder to accidentally delete audio references, simpler to transfer to others, easier at least for me to organize my projects.... and I have never had an issue with them.... But I will say - Folders/packages, the assets preferences, save as options and project management consolidate function is difficult to understand the relationship between them all... Do you know what kind of File system you are using ?

Thanks for your reply and apologies for my delayed response.

I’ve always saved as folder but will now try packages. When you say files system, what do you mean by "what kind of File system you are using ?"

i think volovicg is right; in the finder, open a window, and, in the view menu, turn on "show path bar". now all finder windows will show where the file is.

if you ARE saving as a package, try option-dragging (copying) a logic project file to a different location; does it take a minute? and what does that copy show when you highlight it and hit command-i? what's the file size.

either way, there's NO reason to root around in the package contents; move something, delete something... and you can hose the entire project. the ONLY time i ever go into a package file is if i want to COPY an audio file from it (but that's rare).

i've been saving as package since forever, and have NEVER had a problem with this, and (for me), it is so much easier to move things around, or archive projects to an external drive... etc.

anyway, start with volovicg's suggestion.......

I option-draged (copying) a logic project file to a different location and it did take a while, but the file size is still ZERO. From what I can gather the session is pretty much gone except the audio files.

What is puzzling is why the 000 folder is completely empty.

And I stand corrected, he is saving as folder.

To the OP: why are you including the stock Logic samples in your project folder? It makes the project unnecessarily bigger.

I’ve been saving as folders since day one and I’ve always included the Logic Samples in the session from day one also as that is the way I was shown.

I wish I knew why the 000 folder is completely empty.

why don't you try saving as a package? at least, try a couple of 'test' projects, with some audiofiles; save as a package, be sure to check 'audio files' ('copy the following files into your project' in the save window), and see how that works for you...

i've been saving projects this way for as long as i can remember, and works beautifully. if i move a project, or 'archive' it on my external drive, the files are always there with it...

I option-draged (copying) a logic project file to a different location and it did take a while, but the file size is still ZERO. From what I can gather the session is pretty much gone except the audio files.

I don't think option drag works in the Finder.

If you're dragging to another hard drive it will copy it automatically. Otherwise use the old and true copy and paste.

If you want to copy to another location always do it from within Logic, that way all included files in the project will be in that copy.

And whoever told you to include the Logic samples when you save a project, should have explained to you that it is pointless when you're working every day in Logic.

It's only necessary for archiving purposes, when you're not gonna touch the project again for a long time, and years later you wanna be able to open it.

I don't think option drag works in the Finder.

If you're dragging to another hard drive it will copy it automatically. Otherwise use the old and true copy and paste.

If you want to copy to another location always do it from within Logic, that way all included files in the project will be in that copy.

And whoever told you to include the Logic samples when you save a project, should have explained to you that it is pointless when you're working every day in Logic.

It's only necessary for archiving purposes, when you're not gonna touch the project again for a long time, and years later you wanna be able to open it.

option-drag works anywhere (including the finder), i use it all the time. often, i will option-drag a logic file to the same folder (i AM saving as package). and rename the new file (ie new remix, or alt, or something). for me, a simple, perfect system....

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the exact same problem :/ Did u manage to recover the files?

I just lost quite a few project files from being rash in my response to this problem, but I think I figured out what happened.

I archived about a terabyte of project files in my iCloud and recently got around to trying to back them up to an external drive. When I did this, I thought it would suffice to just hit the 'Download Now' option in the right-click menu, or to click the cloud download icon next to the folder in iCloud. Sometimes, I think the amount of data being requested would bottleneck somewhere along the way, and my download would get stuck (probably timed out). I'd come back to my computer a few hours later and see that many of the files were now zero bytes in size, but with their preview and file name in tact. What really happened is that your computer failed to retrieve the files and instead just has a 'shell' file for where the data it meant to download was supposed to go. However, the original files are still present on iCloud, fully intact. You just have no way of retrieving them through Finder. Whatever you do, don't delete the files, because you don't want that to sync with the server and overwrite the good versions.

Now you have two options: you can download the files from the iCloud website, or if you have another Mac with iCloud enabled, you can download your files on that through Finder, and they should come through fine. I would opt for the latter if you have the choice, especially for larger files. To avoid having the issue happen again, I recommend doing this one project file at a time. Once you've retrieved the working files, you can delete the zero byte versions from your iCloud Drive folders.

Hopefully this helps, I did some googling and couldn't find anyone talking about this solution.

• 1 year later...

Hope this helps:

I was very depressed because some tracks from last year were not accessible in Logic Pro 10.7.4.

My wife reminded me that I had bought a new iMac recently (about a year ago or less). "Could that be the problem ?", she asked.

She was right. All the files were still on my older iMac. For some reason when I did the process of copying over the files from my old iMac to my new one, the Logic Pro files showed up as "corrupted" with no bytes.

Anyway, I hope this helps others, just in case you have done the same or a similar thing.

• David Nahmani changed the title to Zero Bytes - Show Package Content - Logic X Project