Two Versions of LPX?

midi sordino

I prefer version 10.2.4 of Logic to 10.3.1.  I find the darker, less flat GUI preferable, and my main monitor isn't a retina display so 10.2.4 just looks better on my screen.  However I need to also use 10.3.1 so I can occasionally use Logic Remote on an iPad.  So to my question:  Is it possible to have the two versions simultaneously on my MacBook Pro?  Might there be any issues switching between them? 

Thanks,

M

I have tons of Logic versions on the same hard drive. Sometimes I even have Logic 9 and Logic X open at the same time...

If you open a 10.3 project in 10.2.4 you'll see an alert stating that the project was created in a newer version. I've worked like that a few times without issues though (10.3 project file edited in 10.2.4, saved in 10.2.4 and later further edited in 10.3.1).

As kerochan said you can have only one version of LPX open at the same time.

Just curious. I'm running 10.2.4.....if I wanted to install 10.3.1 on the same (internal) HD how would I do that without updating my current version? Do I temporarily remove 10.2.4 from the applications folder and return it following installation of 10.3.1? Do the two versions require separate sound libraries or do they share?

Just curious. I'm running 10.2.4.....if I wanted to install 10.3.1 on the same (internal) HD how would I do that without updating my current version? Do I temporarily remove 10.2.4 from the applications folder and return it following installation of 10.3.1? Do the two versions require separate sound libraries or do they share?

Here's how I do it:

1. In the Finder, go to your Applications folder, Control-click Logic Pro X and choose "Copy Logic Pro X."
  2. Rename the copy "Logic Pro X 10.2.4."
  3. Update to Logic Pro X 10.3.1.

Here's what I end up with on the Mac I'm using at the moment:

1903216665_LogicProversions.png.00d675558b3cc4bcd54933adb28581f4.png

Thanks David - for this advice on 2 versions. I also used your suggestion of Copying  10.2.4 and renaming it.  I had a search on the forum for a general thread pulling together discussion about pros and cons of 10.2.4 v. 10.3 and couldnt find it.. 

Just curious at first sight of 10.3: 

i)  the supposed new colours for a start - there is no deep red and the colours dont seem really clear and vibrant as they were in Logic 7 days .. is this because fonts etc with those very strong colours use up too much space or storage or something, or processing power?

ii) In general it seems as if Logic appears even more washed out than before with fonts/displays going the way of iPhone minimalism 'cheepness'.. ( sorry to put it thus ;) 

iii) Are there any improvements to the Score Editor? 

If someone could direct me to the correct thread for this if there is one, I would much appreciate... 

I think the only advantages of staying with 10.2.4 are cosmetic ones, i.e. the look and feel of the GUI, so there wouldn't really be many other reasons for not upgrading to 10.3.  I'm kind of getting used to the look of 10.3 but it would be great if in future updates Apple gave you the option to have the darker overall look.  When it's late a night the new look is more tiring on the eyes and the flat, brighter look of the mixer makes it look more cluttered.

Thanks David - for this advice on 2 versions. I also used your suggestion of Copying  10.2.4 and renaming it.  I had a search on the forum for a general thread pulling together discussion about pros and cons of 10.2.4 v. 10.3 and couldnt find it.. 

Just curious at first sight of 10.3: 

i)  the supposed new colours for a start - there is no deep red and the colours dont seem really clear and vibrant as they were in Logic 7 days .. is this because fonts etc with those very strong colours use up too much space or storage or something, or processing power?

ii) In general it seems as if Logic appears even more washed out than before with fonts/displays going the way of iPhone minimalism 'cheepness'.. ( sorry to put it thus ;) 

iii) Are there any improvements to the Score Editor? 

If someone could direct me to the correct thread for this if there is one, I would much appreciate... 

Not sure is there is thread for a direct comparison, but you can read this topic thread for some user comments of differences between 10.3 and 10.2.4:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129146&start=640

• 4 years later...
Does this still apply on 10.7.1 on an ARM Mac? Can I run 10.7.1 and then 10.6.3 in Rosetta for instance? 10.7.1 is so slow to startup (both rosetta and native) and then to work in compared to 10.6.3.

Yes, you can have multiple versions of Logic on your Mac and run one at a time. No need for Rosetta — unless you want to use 3rd party plug-ins that are not Apple Silicon native in which case this equally applies to both 10.6 and 10.7.

However I would try and troubleshoot why 10.7.1 is so slow on your system? It should boot fast and there's no reason for it to be slower than 10.6 to work with.

I think it comes down to scanning the hundreds of plugins I have. The old catalina/imac system seems to have handled that way better, and the M1/monterey just lags at startup, probably due to more careful sorting out what is and isn't native for M1. I've deleted the cache a few times and let it rebuild, and all validate, but still painfully slow to load up the Logic app. I'm going to try 10/6/3 and see what that does on launch.