Expanding mixer view vertically

playz123

I am currently learning Logic Pro 10.3. On the main screen, when I open an Editor, it appears at the bottom of the screen as it should. I can then drag its top border most of the way up the screen so the view expands vertically. However when I open the mixer, I can only drag its top border about 1/3 of the way up the screen and then it stops. Is there a way to expand the mixer further vertically? I realize i can open a separate mixer window, but that's not what I would like to do to make the mixer bigger.

You should have no problem making the Mixer very tall to the point where it almost covers the entire Tracks area: 

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 7.47.43 PM.png

I have this problem too, the mixer faders are not getting any longer,  but I think this is the way it is in Logic.

Looks like your Logic can do exactly what I want to do David, but not mine on my 43" screen. As reported, I can't drag any higher than 1/3 screen height when Logic is full screen. I think ijt33 is on to something though. As I play with the borders of Logic and reduce its size on the screen, it appears I can increase the height of the mixer, BUT always only as high as the top of the faders. Strange, but then I must admit I'm finding more than a few things strange in this software. :) It's definitely not the most intuitive DAW I've ever used.  

299501806_ScreenShot2017-03-24at3_23_04PM.png.a31f225e4de82996c45226830c11888b.png

From playz123: Is there a way to expand the mixer further vertically?

From JakobP: Seems to depend on the height of the highest channel strip...

JakobP is right.. But you can increase the height of the highest track  -- it depends on how many plug-in inserts and Sends are enabled.. So you could go to some unused high-numbered audio track, instantiate a number of plug-ins and create a number of Sends, and then bypass them all -- they don't have to be active, they just have to be there in at least one track. Then you should be able to adjust the height of the Mixer pane to the full height of that tallest Channel Strip. (The Inspector sometimes seems to ignore this logic, but it should work in the Mixer (at least it always has for me).. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

Looks like your Logic can do exactly what I want to do David, but not mine on my 43" screen. As reported, I can't drag any higher than 1/3 screen height when Logic is full screen. I think ijt33 is on to something though. As I play with the borders of Logic and reduce its size on the screen, it appears I can increase the height of the mixer, BUT always only as high as the top of the faders. Strange, but then I must admit I'm finding more than a few things strange in this software. :) It's definitely not the most intuitive DAW I've ever used.  

Press Command +2 and resize the mixer to the size you want.  Press Command + W to make it go away.  Press Command +2 and the mixer comes back again, same size, same position.  Does that not work for you?  If you want the mixer the size as it is in David's screenshot you're perhaps not needing to see the track area anyway, so opening the mixer at the bottom of the track view becomes moot.  Or is there something else you are trying to achieve?

Graham

Graham, iIt's more about just learning what I can and can't do with Logic (and also making silent comparisons with another major DAW), and not so much about it being a major problem that must be solved. As mentioned, I am aware that the mixer can be opened in a separate window, but I had seen screen shots like David's where the mixer had been pulled up the screen, almost to the top. So I was curious as to why I couldn't do that. Now I know it all depends on the resolution of the monitor and the height of the channel strip. Many thanks for your input!

Joe, your idea certainly is an interesting one, even if it might not always be necessary to go to those lengths. Thank you for the suggestion; fun workaround! I'm afraid I'd have to add a LOT of sends before I ever could reach the top on my screen though. :)

playz123, what everyone has mentioned here has been correct. The size of Logic's mixer seems to be based on two things: the resolution and screen size of your monitor and the number of plugins on a track. Since you're using a very large monitor (43"), the mixer doesn't have to be very tall in order to display all of the necessary information, inputs, and plugins. On a smaller screen, to display all of the information the mixer will take up more space height-wise. Unfortunately for those using large monitors, the size of the mixer will not reactively adjust as you pull up on the tab. The only workaround is to toss a bunch of plugins on one track, but that's not really making the mixer as a whole larger or taller, it's making the plugin portion of the mixer taller. I hope this makes sense because it can be a bit confusing for new users.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I've been having the same problem but only in some projects. My solution was to open the mixer by pressing X. Then at the top in the middle of the screen clicking on "Single" (it was originally on "Tracks"), then I'm able to resize the mixer. I had a blank channel selected, no plugins at all. When I go back to "Tracks" I can resize the mixer with no vertical limit. Seems a bit odd, maybe a bug but pretty easy fix.

Mark