Logic X Drummer 'shuffle'???

deckard1

Hi,

I'm trying to program a shuffle drum beat with Logic X's Drummer but I am not exactly sure how to do it. So far, all I can see that can assist me in programming a shuffle drum beat using Drummer are the following two knobs pictured below. Is 'swing' the same thing as 'shuffle', by the way? 

Thanks. 

1876185229_ScreenShot2017-02-08at6_21_20PM.png.e2429ed76ba5a5b5a1b0085ed331549b.png

143668135_ScreenShot2017-02-08at6_21_03PM.png.8eca0cf82896ddaa72d1f168f1b66fe0.png

• 2 months later...
Well, sadly, it seems to me no matter what you do with Logic Drummer, it just doesn't swing or shuffle.  Not well anyway.

Sure it does swing, just adjust the Swing knob to the desired value. The "classic" blues shuffle is often around 66% but you can experiment with software (less) or harder (more) shuffle. There's no such thing as swinging/shuffling well or badly: shuffling/swinging simply means delaying every other note by the set amount, which Logic's Drummer does as expected.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I know it's a long time, but I think I managed to create a shuffle rhythm with Logic Drummer. I created two tracks with Tyrell (songwriter drummer) with "Far and away" preset, then I changed the drum kits in "smash" (the default kit was "speakeasy").

In the first track there are Kick & snare (5) and hi hat (6).

In the second only cymbals (3).

Swing amount 66%

It's not perfect, I know, but I think it's the best you could get!

These are the pictures:

1837887164_Screenshot2020-04-2422_30_59.thumb.png.981d0620a2ddc85682dafeadf7dfe72d.png

1987701799_Screenshot2020-04-2422_31_11.thumb.png.0bafb5eb09ac99a152f1b3db6956b29c.png

Have a nice day to all!

Cheers from Italy

Yes, it sounds with shuffle feel, but only on cymbals or hi hat. It’s swing but not shuffle.

What I tried to do, was the triple hit on snare, before and after the main beat (on the 2nd and 4th).

You know what I mean? Sorry but I’m struggling with my English.. I’m Italian :roll:

Yes. 

Yes and no. In a shuffle, the second note of the duplet comes a little later and is a little shorter. So all shuffles are "swings"  but not all swings are shuffle.

Ironically, I just submitted an article on this :)

Jay--is the article your wrote available for anyone to read?

@mr.unreal:

are you looking for something like this?

Drummer = Mason (Roots Songwriter)

Complex = 100%

Soft/Loud = 75%

Hi Hat = 1

Kick & Snare = 5

Swing (8th) = 67%

Details -> Ghost notes = 100%

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 21.13.43 .png

Hi toxasma.

I tried your tip. Well, it's a shuffle rhythm but I was trying to recreate the shuffle with the snare, like a real human drummer, not with the kick. It's an important difference to me.

The problem in my configuration is the fill.. very bad :(

• 3 months later...

Yes and no. In a shuffle, the second note of the duplet comes a little later and is a little shorter. So all shuffles are "swings"  but not all swings are shuffle.

Ironically, I just submitted an article on this :)

Jay--is the article your wrote available for anyone to read?

I think this is the article Ashermusic is talking about: https://macprovideo.com/article/music-theory-and-education/get-your-groove-on-basic-swing-notation.

Edited. Oh, my post is not a double post but in a way it is. I just saw that skijumptoes already post the link to this article.