Drum Rolls *Help*

dangreenday

Hey Guys, As a beginner to Logic Pro i'm trying to learn each Instruments Tips n Tricks separate - Now Ive been watching a Ton of Videos which are Great at other stuff but I've not seen one that gives me a step by step tutorial on creating a drum roll.. 

Seems like this should be something kinda straight forward.

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks Guys 

I found myself searching for a drum roll too.

I tried it with midi in the piano roll using 64th notes, but always ended up with the machine gun effect.

I finally discovered that there is a good likeness using one of Logics’ own patches.

It’s in Orchestral/Percussion/Orchestral Kit and its’ on note A0 .

Check it out !!!

Yeah, drums are one place where you can really detect that "samples are discrete sounds."  In creating drum samples, I think that a real drummer performs the complete roll to create a single sound (note ...)  consisting of the entire roll.  I am also given to understand that you can purchase drum sound libraries which contain a variety of different rolls, paradiddles and so-forth, performed on actual kit, and all assigned to different notes (and not consistent with any GM specs). Edited by MikeRobinson

Oooh thanks for the Help i shall check That out, Upon asking other people they have all said they find it best to just make your own in Piano roll, Which is what I've done,

i would have thought that there would have been a Key on a Midi Keyboard that you could hold down for a Drum Roll -

Guess Not ..

Thanks a lot for your reply tho :) 

I think one of the reason you get a machine gun sound is a question of note velocity and sound. A real drummer will never play each note of a roll with the same velocity and will hit exactly the same spot on the head.

So you could try to randomize the note velocities of the roll and you could also use two different snare sounds (on two different keys and randomly use either one of them in your roll.

Hope this helps!