Project File Backups in Logic X [SOLVED]

bobGrass

Is there a way to enable Project File Backups in Logic X? I noticed in Preferences that there is an auto-save feature (set to 10). I don’t see these files in the project folder like Logic 9 used to do. Is there something I am missing?

Basically, I would like the ability to have it so that every time I save, a file is created in the Project File Backups in the project folder, a la Logic 9. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Slightly perplexed about what's the difference between "Saved" version and "Backup 1".

When you revert to any Backup, you get a notification which says:

"After reverting, the last manually saved version of your project appears as "Backup 1" in the "Revert to" submenu. Any changes made since saving will be lost."

Sometimes the "Saved" version is in fact older than "Backup 1" so does this mean it's an autosave version? (Although it's strange that is says "Saved", not "Autosaved".)

guess I was looking for actual files...

You can (kinda) do that too - at least you can open a backup from the Finder:

Locate your project file in the Finder, select it and press the Spacebar to open quick look, and click "Load a backup."

backup.png

Clicking "load a backup" from quick look just makes an alert beep sound with no message box for me.. same even for other project files. tried looking in log reports for a clue but im not sure if this helps : log report not sure if im looking at the right data regarding logic backup problem.pdf

please omit if im sharing anything too compromising.. thx

Hi David. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.. I'm new here and finally ran into a problem that i haven't been able to find solutions to.. figured i should seek advise before tinkering on my own.

I've recently displaced (meaning i still have) my logic preferences files- both .cs and .plist ones in a foolish attempt to resolve an issue with my transport controls..of course it did not help and I am now paying the price for it.. I had planned on reverting to an earlier mix of my project via auto backups after completing a certain segment i was already working on. not realizing soon enough that in between displacing the old prefs files and logic creating the new ones, my auto backup preference of "last 50 alternative versions" which i was depending on got reset to 10 and now the backup i want is not listed anymore under "file> revert to"

so now i went back in and changed it to"last 100 alternative versions" and recent items to 30.

-found the backups (i Hope) in project file> alternatives> 000> project file backups, (please see attached)1162793525_ScreenShot2021-10-21at2_48_06PM.thumb.png.93ed38a3b0672c23109d68394303fc8a.png

on project file did quicklook > load backup like u said but get error tone with no message

i have 2 contingency backups of my project prior to displacing the prefs files: once using "save a copy as" on Sep 16 and another using "export alternative as project" on Oct 3. the mix I'm trying to revert to is one closer to Aug 21 the better, and prior to moving the prefs on Oct 7 I checked and confirmed that my entire list of dates revert-able to were there (from my main project file).

any insight would be highly appreciated. will logic ever get to see those backups again? should i go stick the prefs files back in and try or go with those other project files? and by the way would you know why logic remote so flakey ? looking forward to Your most valued opinion regarding my best course of action..

now I get to learn my lesson and pray to the Music and Logic Gods for mercy .

back story:

one day, when attempting to troubleshoot logic remote which crashes logic (Process Logic Pro X 866.pdf

see attached) all the time and refuses to connect since i moved to a new computer, i tinkered with the midi settings in logic and audio midi setup and even downloaded the "touch OSC" in attempt to use as a control surface alternative to remote and tinkered with settings even more which caused my transports to not work properly (pressing spacebar makes the "midi out" part in the control bar display X 1 0 0 0, and wouldnt play the project, save for double clicking on timeline) in the end i was able to fix the transport by disabling some midi messages thing i left on in the preferences thinking it would help the connection. Also, I'm not sure how but i finally got remote to work once after resetting network settings on my phone. Got ambitious and tried to connect and use Touch OSC at the same time and crashed them both. thats when i started resetting my prefs and ultimately displaced the prefs files themselves for some fresh ones. remote's been behaving fairly well ever since but that leads to my main problem above. I've made no reattempt at Touch OSC.

sorry if this is long and convoluted. and sorry if my formatting sucks. i dont mean any disrespect. really appreciate your time and patience.

You may also refer to the attached Process Logic Pro X 866.pdf

pdf for my system details. Thank you again.