Turntable and logic pro x

westopher86

hi there I am using logic pro X and am having trouble getting my turntable to work, IMG_8166.thumb.JPG.889e81b25e8f02bfe8f014acc7e1c9d5.JPG this turntable is going to this pre-amp (which has no earth) IMG_8167.thumb.JPG.71fb9f4c0d96be0098c5a2c7d1bc9b4e.JPG then going back out IMG_8168.thumb.JPG.7687d7b88d091e323492fff58620ff6e.JPG into this mixer IMG_8169.thumb.JPG.c5502ea6969a7e62b3c781b73dcd7a0d.JPG which is connected via USB (ALESIS multimix 6) when I open logic and create an audio track I just get feedback please help if possible

cheers

Hi, I can't see any of your photos because they're too blurry and too big, but I'm guessing if you haven't already tried this, you might try turning input monitoring off in Logic. I have my turntable running into an older little bitty Alto mixer and the mixer running into an audio input on my Sapphire Pro interface. The mixer is old and cheap and doesn't have a digital interface. The turntable requires a preamp and the only thing I can plug it into is my old mixer. When I need to play or record LPs into Logic, everything works fine, but I have to turn input monitoring off just when I'm using my turntable. Also I noticed your setup lists 4 gb RAM. Apple, and every other resource I've found, recommend putting in as much RAM as your system can handle. I have a mac mini that will only support 16 gb RAM so that's what I put in it, and Logic Pro X runs just fine.

Your photos are about 18 megapixels big, they should be about 100 times smaller, meaning not 5,200 x 3,500 (as they are now), but more like 520 x 350 pixels. This can be very simply done by opening and resizing them in Preview:

731630503_pic2014-08-30at10_09_24.PNG.c98ca7081c97943003ae416968f98bff.PNG

You can edit your original post, remove the enormous pics and replace them with the scaled down ones.

• 2 years later...

I just picked up a sony PS-LX300USB turntable with "usb output for easy vinyl to mp3 conversions" written on the box. It comes with the Audacity software for Windows users but nothing for Mac users. It recommends that Mac users download it from the internet. 

Is this necessary? Can't I use Logic for this? Any help on why one is better/necessary over the another would be helpful. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks Joe

I just picked up a sony PS-LX300USB turntable with "usb output for easy vinyl to mp3 conversions" written on the box. It comes with the Audacity software for Windows users but nothing for Mac users. It recommends that Mac users download it from the internet. 

Is this necessary? Can't I use Logic for this? Any help on why one is better/necessary over the another would be helpful. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks Joe

Yes, sure you can use Logic for this.  Just make sure that on the track you wish to 'record' the Turntable audio, that Logic has selected the correct input source, arm the track, play the vinyl, and hit 'r' :)