arming record for multi tracks with same input

bammbammrawks

Hi,

This is most likely an easy one but how do arm multiple track to record the same input.

Example :: I want to record the same single guitar input to 3 different tracks but I cannot seem to get more than one track to arm at a time. How do I make this work, please ?

Cheers

BAMM

You could use this workaround http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=5028 to route the input to several tracks, but the question would be why would you want to do this?

Shivermetimbers gave you all the solutions you should need, and I can't think of a situation where you would need to record several simultaneous copies of the same audio file, but if you have a specific goal in mind let us know and maybe we can help.

:shock:

I can't ... ok ...

To begin, I am using the 10 in 10 out Firepod I/O. I have one guitar, input into a channel and three tracks dedicated to guitar parts in Logic. For me, personally Logic is not just for recording it is a tool I use in live applications as well. With that in mind I can think of an infinite number of situations where I would need to play/record one instrument simultaneous on multiple tracks at once. I'm trying to achieve multiple layers of effected tracks at the same time. This is my goal.

My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, Ride etc. anyone?

I don't think I am that much a guitar pioneer here, you guys. :)

Ooor ... maybe I am... :lol:

Anyhow, so you are saying I need to spit my signal (mic, guitar or what ever) first, before I go into the I/O. I cannot just record multiple tracks of the same instrument, simultaneously in Logic... really ?

Cheers

BAMM

The question, again, is why would you want to send each one of those busses to a track? A track is there to record or place audio files on it. Once you have ONE audio file, you really don't need to make any copies of that file, since it's so easy to route and divide its signal into busses and access those busses with bus or aux objects, which you mix along with the other tracks.

you really don't need to make any copies of that file, since it's so easy to route and divide its signal into busses and access those busses with bus or aux objects, which you mix along with the other tracks.

I don't want to make copies as much as I want separate malleable tracks of my recorded guitar part.

I'm sorry for my lack of tech/sound mixing knowledge. I think the part I don't completely grasp is the "route and divide its signal into busses and access those busses with bus or aux objects". :?

How do I do that? and I'll have it made, I think :)

I hope.

Cheers

BAMM

:

Well if you want to have parallel processing of one guitar signal, I would record it on one track, and select a bus as the output of that track. Then setup several Aux objects and choose that bus in the input field of the Aux objects. To setup the Aux objects, you can go the Track mixer, click "Global" and "Aux". If you need more Aux objects you need to create them in your environment (New > Audio Object, then choose an Aux channel in the Channel parameter).

:shock:

I can't ... ok ...

To begin, I am using the 10 in 10 out Firepod I/O.

Anyhow, so you are saying I need to spit my signal (mic, guitar or what ever) first, before I go into the I/O.

BAMM

Bamm, there it is.

That's the ticket if you have 10 inputs. Then you can arm each track for recording or split signals.

Each track has to be set to a different input number. You cannot arm two (Audio)tracks if they are both input 1.

• 14 years later...

I'm reviving this thread since I just discovered this problem.

I usually record Mid/side onto 3 tracks at the same time. The mid input into one, and the same input from the figure-8 mic onto 2 tracks, one with the phase flipped. Quick and easy and I'm able to listen back how it sounds immediately, even while monitoring.

Is there still no way round this in Logic in 2021?

Thanks

Yes, I know, old habits die hard, but at the same time they hold us back from moving on.

In any case, no two tracks can record the same input at the same time.

To avoid using a single (free and included, mind you,) plugin, you could use a post fader Send from the left panned S channel to a right panned Aux with a polarity switching (and also free) Gain plugin to get three faders like in the old days, but that too seems to me like fetching a ladder when the stairs are right there.

• 1 month later...

OK so, I must be dim but I have not been able to make this work in any configuration.

I'd like to hear the mid mic in the middle and the side figure eight hard panned with one side flipped as a stereo signal, while tracking drums so it can be heard in the cue mixes along with the other mics.

If I can't listen during the setup, how can I place the mics right?

How can I set this up?

I also tried just sending the side signal to another track, via a mono bus, and panning those opposite, but for some reason I only get mono.

Next I'm going to split the mid signal half normalled in my patchbay so I can hardwire two tracks into Logic and pan those. That should work at least.

Thanks

Edited by JBberg

- Mid mic comes in on input 1

- Side mic on input 2

- Set up a stereo track to receive input 1-2 and arm it for record

- put a Direction Mixer plugin into the track

- in the plugin click Input: MS

Done. Now you hear MS input decoded into LR.

You set the original balance between M and S with the gain knobs of your interface before recording, and you can change that balance later with the Spread slider of the Direction Mixer.

At 200% , the mid side is completely gone, you're only hearing S in the left ear and -S in the right ear. If that's not spread, I don't know what is...

Besides, a drummer with half-decent force will already drown out every kind of detail you're trying to hear in your headphones if you're adjusting a microphone 50cm away from him bashing the cymbals. Closed phones and especially In-ears are much better at isolating, but much worse in giving you neutral sound, so it will always be a struggle to do it all by yourself. That's pretty much what an assistant is for, while you should be in the control room.