Is there a way to switch default record-enable behavior to only one track at a time?

wing
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

As far as I can tell, Logic's default record-enable behavior allows multiple tracks to be enabled with a standard click. In order to force it into 'OR' behavior where it switches to one track at time, you have to option+click.

The problem is, more often than not I'm only recording one instrument at a time, but I have large sessions where I scroll up and down. Sometimes as I scroll or mix for awhile or take a quick break, I totally forget that elsewhere in the session I still have some other track record enabled. I've accidentally recorded over tracks this way before.

I'd much prefer to switch this behavior since multi-tracking is something I only do once in a blue moon (so opt+click = adds tracks together). But I've searched all the menus and google and I can't figure out a way. Is this possible?!

Ah ok, wasn't aware of that functionality. That helps and addresses my issue. Now I have to break the long-standing 20+ year habit of record enabling in DAWs haha! But I'll figure it out.

I do wish there was something like the hide and solo button at the top bar above the tracks but for record which will alert me when anything is record-enabled (and just like like hide or solo, hitting this button will toggle all relevant tracks on/off from that setting). Wondering if that exists - I right-clicked that pane and there were no options available to customize the view so I'm guessing not?

• 1 year later...

There has to be an actual solution to this rather than just not record enabling?  Surely there must be an option to change this feature somewhere in the settings?  My old version of Logic 10.5 didn't have this issue.  For example, when I'd select and record enable an instrument track, and then selected another instrument track it would automatically override the first one....which is my preferable way of it being.  Its a pain in the ass having to de-select previous instrument tracks you no longer want record enabled.

Anyone have any info on this?

20 minutes ago, themadpad said:

when I'd select and record enable an instrument track, and then selected another instrument track it would automatically override the first one...

The trick now is to not record enable the selected instrument track. 

If you just select a track and play it or record on it (without manually record-enabling it) then you can select another track and play it or record on it. The track becomes automatically record-enabled when you press Record:

record-enable.gif

19 minutes ago, themadpad said:

Okay thanks for your response.  I guess this just must be the new way of doing it.  Previously if you selected an instrument track and didn't record enable it, it would have latency on it....but now it appears to play normally and without latency even when not record enabled.

Yes, that was the good old "live mode" that was automatically turned off when a track wasn't R-enabled in order to save resources. Apparently that's no longer necessary in newer Logic versions.