➤ Help answer these new questions!
 
Sascha Franck
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Hannover/Germany

No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:59 am

For the first time in my life I needed a 32nd delay (supposed to be a 1/16 delay on a double time part), wanted to use the stock Tape Delay for that task - but to my great astonishment, none of the standard delays offers that. Gets even more strange considering there's a dotted 32nd delay.
I may get away with some deviation adjustment, but a 1/32 delay should rather be available straight.
Apparently not a big one for me, as I never noticed that ever since Logic 4.5 (when the delays were introduced), still pretty strange.
2010 MP 2x2.66GHz, 16GB, 500GB SSD System/Logic drive, Zoom UAC-2, LPX 4.2, OSX 13.6.
 
User avatar
fuzzfilth
Posts: 5421
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am
Location: Germany

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 am

That's weird, yes. But then, that would be like 60ish milliseconds at 120bpm, so squarely in the range of doubling, yet around 100ms @70bpm, so yeah, it should be available.
Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer

1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM
2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM
OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.5.1
 
ValliSoftware
Posts: 1313
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 am

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:24 am

Use the Delay Designer preset 1\16 Delay, change the grid to 32 and add your extra points.

ModifyDelayDesigner.png
ModifyDelayDesigner.png (626.22 KiB) Viewed 469 times
MacBook Pro 10.8.5 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6GB Ram - Logic Pro X (10.2)
MacMini 10.13.6 2GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram - GarageBand 10.4.5 Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
iPad Mini iOS 12 - iOS GarageBand 2.0.1
Qosimo X70-A 10.13.6 Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, 2-500GB 7200rpm hard drives - Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
MacMini M1 11.6.1 Apple M1 16GB Ram 1TB SSD Logic Pro X (10.7.1) Rosetta 2 not installed
 
Sascha Franck
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Hannover/Germany

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 am

ValliSoftware wrote:
Use the Delay Designer preset 1\16 Delay, change the grid to 32 and add your extra points.


I know 32nds are there in Delay Designer, but I wanted just a very simple slapback delay, so grabbing the Tape Delay is a pretty normal thing.
2010 MP 2x2.66GHz, 16GB, 500GB SSD System/Logic drive, Zoom UAC-2, LPX 4.2, OSX 13.6.
 
polanoid
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:43 am

Sascha Franck wrote:
ValliSoftware wrote:
Use the Delay Designer preset 1\16 Delay, change the grid to 32 and add your extra points.


I know 32nds are there in Delay Designer, but I wanted just a very simple slapback delay, so grabbing the Tape Delay is a pretty normal thing.


Easy workaround: 1/16 triplet with a deviation of -25% will give you 32nds ;-)
MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.0.1 / Logic 10.7.2
 
Sascha Franck
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Hannover/Germany

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:06 am

polanoid wrote:
Easy workaround: 1/16 triplet with a deviation of -25% will give you 32nds ;-)


Yeah, thanks!
(got that far myself already, though)
2010 MP 2x2.66GHz, 16GB, 500GB SSD System/Logic drive, Zoom UAC-2, LPX 4.2, OSX 13.6.
 
polanoid
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 am

Sascha Franck wrote:
polanoid wrote:
Easy workaround: 1/16 triplet with a deviation of -25% will give you 32nds ;-)


Yeah, thanks!
(got that far myself already, though)


Maybe useful for others, though :-)

(The underlying simple math: 1/16 triplet = 1/24 note, 1/24 - 25% = 1/24 - 1/96 = 4/96 - 1/96 = 3/96 = 1/32 :-) )
MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.0.1 / Logic 10.7.2
 
Sascha Franck
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Hannover/Germany

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 am

polanoid wrote:
(The underlying simple math: 1/16 triplet = 1/24 note, 1/24 - 25% = 1/24 - 1/96 = 4/96 - 1/96 = 3/96 = 1/32 :-) )


Well yeah, had that sort of in my mind but ended up just trying ;-)
2010 MP 2x2.66GHz, 16GB, 500GB SSD System/Logic drive, Zoom UAC-2, LPX 4.2, OSX 13.6.
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 87777
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:43 am

polanoid wrote:
Easy workaround: 1/16 triplet with a deviation of -25% will give you 32nds ;-)

Very cool, easy workaround! In case you don't want to use Delay Designer. Thanks for sharing. :D
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.7.2
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 12.0.1 — 8 GB RAM
 
User avatar
88keys
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:01 pm

What could be faster than just dividing 60,000 (the number of milliseconds in a minute) by your BMP tempo? Now you have milliseconds for your 1/4 note delay. Then just start dividing by 2 from there . . . 1/8th ... 1/16th ... 1/32.
 
Sascha Franck
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am
Location: Hannover/Germany

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:46 pm

88keys wrote:
What could be faster than just dividing 60,000 (the number of milliseconds in a minute) by your BMP tempo? Now you have milliseconds for your 1/4 note delay. Then just start dividing by 2 from there . . . 1/8th ... 1/16th ... 1/32.


That's all fine and dandy but won't work too well anymore once there's tempochanges.
2010 MP 2x2.66GHz, 16GB, 500GB SSD System/Logic drive, Zoom UAC-2, LPX 4.2, OSX 13.6.
 
User avatar
88keys
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:57 pm

Very true. You’d have to automate the delay plug. Total PITA. Could do it with midi scripter though. Scripter reads current bpm, calculate what you want then midi to plug-in parameters to alter the milliseconds of the delay. Easy if someone writes that script.
 
polanoid
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: No 1/32 delays

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 pm

88keys wrote:
Very true. You’d have to automate the delay plug. Total PITA. Could do it with midi scripter though. Scripter reads current bpm, calculate what you want then midi to plug-in parameters to alter the milliseconds of the delay. Easy if someone writes that script.


I'm sure someone can come up with an even more convoluted way to do something that is easily achieved by setting two parameters in the plug-in (see my posts above) ;)
MacBook Pro 16'' 2019, 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / macOS Monterey 12.0.1 / Logic 10.7.2