A Logic and an OSX upgrade

bebenavole

Hello everyone,

I have a mid 2012 MBP and I am running Logic 9.1.8. on 10.8.5.

Since there are no more updates for this OS in general I would like upgrade to 10.14 Mojave.

I am planing to buy Logic X.

My questions are:

Do I have to uninstall Logic 9.1.8? If so how do I go about doing it?

Guess I'll have to since it's not supported in Mojave.

Will Logic X be able to open 9.1.8. projects?

Also I am running RME Fireface 802 via FireWire. Will FireWire work?

Anyone have any experiences with this combo?

Thank you

Adam

You don't have to uninstall Logic 9.1.8, but if it doesn't work on the new OS then you can just trash the app.

When trying to open a Logic 9 project in Logic X, Logic will automatically offer to convert your Logic 9 file to a Logic X file which it will prompt you to save.

As for the RME Fireface I'm not sure you'd have to check its compatibility status with the OS version you're installing on RME's website.

• 7 months later...
I have an 512B SSD and I cant figure out why is it so full.Nothing in the documents, app, music, movies pics etc. folders suggests it should be so full.Maybe all the files from logic 9 ? Which I cant find/locate. thank you so much

Just open a Finder window and look at the contents of the drive. Press Command-Option-I to open a floating Info window and start selecting folders. You may have to be patient while the folder size is calculated and displayed in the floating info window. That process allows you to determine which folders take up the most space in the hard drive.

I have an 512B SSD and I cant figure out why is it so full.Nothing in the documents, app, music, movies pics etc. folders suggests it should be so full.Maybe all the files from logic 9 ?

Logic 9 full install was less than 20 gigs.

You should double check the size of the 4 main folders like David suggested:

Applications

Library

System

Users

Select each one and do Command-I on the keyboard.

Aplications - 9.24gb

Library - 31.12gb

System 5.72gb

Users 160.91gb

total

206.99gb

there should be more then 300gig free

Those are visible folders - there's a whole Unix underpinning which won't be displayed in the finder, including swapfiles, caches, logfiles and all kinds of other stuff. MacOS does manage this stuff (eg archive log files etc), but it does also take up space.

If you are not sure where your files are that are taking up space, you might want to try one of the "Cleaner" type programs, like CleanMyMac, which will help you optimise this stuff.

OK, so I managed to get thru my phone. Is there a way to change currency and how do I know where they are charging the purchase? There is no option of paying via paypal it just says we weill charge you and the download will start immediately. ?!?!?!

I haven't used apple store since Logic 9 so I have no clue which cred card is registered. I mean this is so stupid, not being able to get Logic anywhere else but the apple store. tnx

Then change your card details registered to your Apple account. No, I don't think you can PayPal it.

It's only a "stupid way" of getting Logic if you've forgotten your Apple password and don't have updated information, for most people it's a once click purchase and download, which makes it a great way of purchasing it...

If you forgot your AppleID password, you should be able to reset it, provided you still have access to the email address it's associated with. If not, well, you may just register a new ID and purchase Logic X app this way. If you don't want to link a credit card to your AppleID account, then there's always an option to buy and redeem Apple Store gift cards worth the equivalent of the current LPX retail price. If I'm not mistaken one can also get these gift card certificates online, so no need to leave home.

As for the fact that this app (and many others) isn't available anywhere except App Store, well, that's the fact of life now. Nothing we can do about it.