Bought 2015 MB Pro 2.8ghz. Love it but MIDI not working properly.

Christopher11

Clearly you are right, since disabling as Jakob suggested worked. It also caused my Korg M3 to now work properly as a controller in Logic, or I should say, Logic to respond properly to it. Because it was down to just notes and pitch bend; Logic would not respond to mod wheel or aftertouch. I wonder if it was getting some kind of loop or multiple messages.

Also, not complaining I'm just curious, why did disabling control surfaces work? Wouldn't that mean Logic wouldn't see any MIDI controller input?

why did disabling control surfaces work?

The bypass is probably stopping conflicting controller messages from lingering MIDI drivers or corrupt preferences.

Another thing you can try (if you wanna keep investigating) is trashing the logic cs preference file in the User Library, which is hidden. You can only access it by holding Option and clicking on the Go menu in Finder.

The bypass is probably stopping conflicting controller messages from lingering MIDI drivers or corrupt preferences.

Another thing you can try (if you wanna keep investigating) is trashing the logic cs preference file in the User Library, which is hidden. You can only access it by holding Option and clicking on the Go menu in Finder.

That's exactly what I thought might be the case... especially since it felt like a MIDI instrument getting overwhelmed and confused. I wonder if the cheap Casio keyboard that has always caused problems in my other studio will work now.

That's exactly what I thought might be the case... especially since it felt like a MIDI instrument getting overwhelmed and confused. I wonder if the cheap Casio keyboard that has always caused problems in my other studio will work now.

The bypassing of control surfaces disables all control surfaces (Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup...) and all custom controller assignments you have (Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Assignments). Have a look there, some midi controllers are set up automatically as control surfaces by Logic.

The bypassing of control surfaces disables all control surfaces (Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup...) and all custom controller assignments you have (Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Assignments). Have a look there, some midi controllers are set up automatically as control surfaces by Logic.

And snoizes midi monitor shows note events coming in from the m-audio ?

Actually, no! Although it sees everything from the Korg via MIDI>RME 802. Midi Monitor doesn't see anything from the M-Audio plugged in directly to the computer via USB. It did on my old machine.

I wonder if I need to configure something differently in Utilities>Audio-Midi setup?

So you can see the m-audio in there ? Does it look connected ?

Hey Jakob. Thank you for asking. No, unfortunately, MIDI Monitor sees MIDI data from my Korg M3; it does not even see the m-audio. Logic does not see the m-audio either, despite that I hook that up directly via USB (not the RME interface). When I looked for drivers from m-audio, they said it didn't need it, was 'class compliant'. Which is true in most cases, you just plug in USB and it recognizes. But not in my case.

Interesting, Garage Band doesn't see the m-audio either. Both Garage Band and Logic see when I plug the m-audio in. They just won't recognize any performance, notes, etc. MIDI Monitor doesn't even see it.

Thank you for any help. I really appreciate you guys.

I created a device and named it Keystation 88 in Audio MIDI Utility. It's just that MIDI Monitor, the app I downloaded, doesn't see it. Apps like LPX and Garage Band see when I connect the m-audio keyboard, but they don't respond to anything I play. I can certainly try another cable. I suspect it's related to the new computer and Mojave OS however, as it worked perfectly with my previous 2012 laptop and El Capitan.

Maybe I need to configure it differently in Audio MIDI Setup using the IAC driver? I think that's what allows USB to work directly, without an interface. I just don't really know how to configure that to get MIDI to work via USB.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/audio-midi-setup/ams1013/mac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Thank you guys again for your help on this. I've done testing since then and discovered: The cable and USB function from the M-Audio Keystation works fine; I've been using it with my old 2012 MacBook for lessons, and it's as good as ever.

When I plug it in via USB to my new MacBook, Logic doesn't respond to notes or assignables, doesn't seem to see it. I would truly like to get USB working on this machine. When I stay over at my girlfriends for example, I could bring a cheap controller and play parts, even if no MIDI interface. It's also a nice fail safe if the MIDI interface were to fail.

I have to select a new setup in AudioMIDI Setup > MIDI studio each time for MIDI to work; it doesn't matter which one. Then, Bypass All Controllers, and the M3 works fine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Also, though my Korg M3 plugged into MIDI works well