Use the score editor and text to control exs . . here's how

I used the text symbol in the score editor to control the exs for articulation. All text meta have the same code but you can change the 4th value which is the vertical position and then in the parameter refix the position. Now you can create text controls like "pizz", "arco" etc . . make your own temps and transform the 4th code via the transformer into a note on or cc to switch the samples (articulation) within the exs as assigned.

I am uploading my example and it uses the factory samples for the exs violin.

Using this one can input in the score edit and have the correct articulations play back simply by naming them. My goal is to be able to score exclusively from the score editor and have a correct playback.

Please try the example.

score text controll.zip

I thought of this idea about one year ago (http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3408), and even installed it for a couple of my clients. Later I realized that's whatJohn Frizzell and his assistand do! And they took the concept to a whole new level. You should see their environment. Gets pretty crazy.

He triggers touch tracks with ramps of MIDI CC for dynamic markings... interesting.

http://www.filmmusicworld.com/dl/Frizzell-Wiedmann.pdf

http://www.filmmusicworld.com/dl/Frizzell-Wiedmann-LOGIC-Env.zip

Frizzell-Wiedmann.jpg.cf3efe0ee0e191b0043957dcd7ff448f.jpg

I read your link but didn't read anything about you using the text insert in the score editor and manipulating its verical data like I did

So by reading your post, I've taken this one step above what has been done (posted). Maybe your not clear on how I'm using the text entry, as each text entry is identical in the meta event until you change it.

So ya, I beat you to it.

I've been using this for a few months now. So I beat you to it, but really there's no fighting because John and his assistant beat us both to it!

Actually there's a slight difference between our methods: I use Score symbols to trigger articulation switches, you use Score Text and use its vertical position to differentiate between different Meta events.

My method doesn't require you to change the meta event. Just insert the symbol in the score from the symbol palette and it will trigger the right articulation.

Oh and from the linked thread:

Come to think of it, you could use all the trill signs to switch articulations, or any other sign you wish in your score editor, rather than program change.

Huh... I was joking, I know you didn't mean it as a compliment... anyway.

Well I don't find score symbols too limiting but your solution is pretty good if you want to work with text. The only thing that sucks is that you have to reposition your text everytime you change its meta value.

I wish we could have access to the advanced meta value. Then you could have your transformer simply "read" the text...

...and, I don't use the Score functions that much. Kinda dyslexic that way...I hire quality people like youself :)

I sure can see WHY someone would want to do it..and, it's an homage TO the hard core power users that CAN make Logic do this that really shows off the power of the program.

now...if they could just get it so I could simply use the output of a bus as an input to an audio track object...

:D

the problem with meta-based articulation switches is that they don't chase - or is there a trick to that i don't know about. i tried this years and years ago and gave up on it because articulations wouldn't chase making it useless for practical working.

even if you convert the meta values to a chaseable value, they aren't present within the audio region and so effectively don't chase.

one solution is to convert the meta values using bit-mapping to chaseable values and add them to the region, but you have to do this everytime you make an articulation switch if you want it to work as you go.

what we need is a class of meta values that can be chased. that would have all sorts of practical applications not just for articualtion switching.

• 3 weeks later...

After looking with bewilderment at Mr. Frizzels formidable environment for score, i'm completely lost. (aaaahh, the ease and safety of 'real' manuscript, lol.)

I'm keen to explore using the score further as i've just added a second wide screen on my little laptop, and have had limited success using EXs instruments cabled from channel splitters and changing articulations by midi channel in the event editor. It's still a slow process however, and i'm keen to discover how to use symbols in the score to change articulations automatically, so to speak.

Could one of you intelligent chaps please give a basic walkthrough for a middle aged fart (who isn't a geek) setting up a symbol to activate a channel automatically? (Arco=mcha1, Stacc=mcha2, etc...)

(In addition to this, i wonder if it's possible to refine the process, and include bow up and down symbols as well. Seems like the same process. Just curious....)

I am on LE as per my signature so transformers in the environment are a non starter, unless i import an environment already built.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Regards,

Alex.

Hehe.

Way too handsome. I'm a lot more battered looking than that!

8)

Going to my original question. can anyone tell me if i can create new Meta events?

Is there some sort of editor and save function i can use? I can't find anything in the manual or online. (Is Logic Meta a useful tool, or some sort of secret society with funny handshakes and initiation ceremony?) Interesting going through the Meta symbols though, and finding out which Meta numbers affect certain symbols and events.

My thinking behind this is:

If i can use an 'empty' Meta number, and create symbols or numbers for Mcha articulation changes, then apply 'no colour' to those events effectively making them invisible, i can keep the score 'clean', so to speak.

Something else that has cropped up in the process of doing this, is the dissapearance of freeze buttons when using an instrument (assigned to track by name, e.g. Violins 1) into a channel splitter into exs instances for each articulation. Yet, if i apply a single exs instrument to a track, the freeze button returns.

Is this something i'm doing wrong, or another of those 'charming' Logic quirks?

Regards,

Alex.

to use text to effect articulation changes you must:

- NOT use the instrument that makes the sound in the arrange track. you should make a GM instrument (in environment new->instrument) as your arrange track and name it the name of your instrument. so eg violin 1. you then cable this to objects in the environment to convert and channel the data so that it arrives at the sound producing audio instrument the way you want it to.

- create the GM instrument and name it (violin 1).

- bring it up in arrange. set its default score style.

- in the environment create: new->faders->special-> cable switcher.

- cable the insturment (violin 1) to the cable switcher.

- cable the top cable of the cable switcher to the sound source.

- create a transformer and cable the second cable on the cable switcher to the trasnformer.

- open the trasnformer and in the second row set midi channel to fix->2. this changes all midi that passes through it to midi channel 2.

- set the cable switcher to receive meta 60. its the top part where it says input.

now, you can type in text and change the second data byte in the event editor to "1" and it will switch the cable from the top cable output to the next one down. all the midi will pass through that and into the transformer where it will be converted to midi channel 2. its actually straightforward if you think about it. look at the image for the signal flow, left to right.

1380441932_Picture2.png.c1c8145616837a550ac6792adcf5f661.png

david,

the text meta events do NOT chase.

i devised this environment in order to look at using text and other types of meta as a way of effecting articulation changes. i knew i had looked at this before and found that i couold not get meta to chase. it was a long time ago so i had forgotten there had been problems with it.

it is clearly a bug, but they absolutely do not chase. if i can get them to then i will the ultimate in elegant solutions.

1055574838_Picture1.png.0ebb4708fb0d135f52a3d07533f6d7e9.png