MainStage 2.2 released

Apple releases MainStage 2.2

Improved Performance

• MainStage 2.2 takes full advantage of Macs with four or more processor cores.

Simplified Setup

• New template picker includes a new Quick Start category.

• New Assignments & Mappings view provides a way to edit and view a consolidated list of all hardware controller assignments and screen control mappings.

• The MainStage interface has been rebuilt with larger interface elements.

• The last saved value of a mapped parameter can now be seen and edited.

Enhanced MIDI Control

• Direct connections between hardware controllers and plug-in parameters can be made without using screen controls.

• During patch changes, SysEx and other data can be sent to external MIDI devices using standard MIDI files.

• It is now possible to block unwanted incoming controller messages.

Preferences

• New preference to globally disable feedback protection across all patches.

Auto-assignment Support

• Auto-assignment support has been added for more MIDI devices:

• Akai MPK25
    Akai MPK49
    Alesis Q25
    Korg nanoKey2
    Korg nanoKontrol2
    Korg nanoPad2
    M-Audio Axiom 25 (updated version)
    M-Audio Axiom 49 (updated version)
    M-Audio Axiom 61 (updated version)
    M-Audio Oxygen 49 (updated version)
    Novation Nocturn 25

Issue Fixes

• Fixes an issue in which one shot sample triggering did not work correctly when EXS was in mono mode.

• The metronome now provides a downbeat click.

• Improved MIDI Beat Clock for ReWire and External Instrument Channels.

• EVB3 no longer produces stuck notes when using a sustain pedal.

MainStage 2.2: Release notes

You can still download MainStage 2.1.3 at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1393

Edited by David Nahmani

Interesting... According to the release notes it looks like you have to purchase MS via the App store to get these new upgrades even if you have already purchased it as part of your original Logic Boxed set...

MainStage 2.2 is a feature upgrade for MainStage 1.0 and 2.0 users available for purchase on the Mac App Store. It includes several new features and fixes.

Yes - there is something odd here. I was able to use software update for Logic 9.1.6, it doesn't work to go to MainStage 2.2......

...because MainStage 2.2 is a feature release. It has a bunch of nice features and improvements - and only costs $29.99 anyway.

• 1 month later...
Do you guys think it's worth upgrading right now to update 2.2 I am using an older white macbook and not sure it can handle the updates. I am actually thinking about buying a newer MacBook Pro and I would imagine this would work much better.

I sincerely doubt you'll see any difference (better or worse) in performance between 2.1.3 and 2.2 on the same machine. I don't think it would make sense for that to be a factor in deciding whether or not to get new hardware, nor in whether or not to get the MainStage update.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just took the plunge on the new version and I'm not a fan. On my older 2.4ghz white macbook, MS 2.2 is far less efficient then 2.1.3. Luckily I zipped and moved my 2.1.3 app before installing the new one since it deleted the previous version. If you plan on buying this, definitely backup the previous version if you don't want to have to re-install.

That said, maybe the new version really shines with a new quad core i5 or i7 laptop. Still though, it should perform the same or better on my computer and not worse, since I imagine the sound engine is basically the same. Hopefully some will chime in with experience with a new machine.

I also noticed that the perform mode is now only full screen, which sucks because I often have a setlist placed right next to the perform window. It's all too "Apple" of them to have taken away a useful function in favor of a "more streamlined" interface. It really is sad to see the new wave of Apple's dumbing-down approach trickling down to Pro software. First it was with the new Final Cut being laughably (and unusably) stripped down, what next?

@thinkofone it is actually still possible to perform without going full-screen. In the Preferences, under Display, you can select and deselect "Perform in Full Screen". You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command-3 to Perform in a Window (Command-4 to perform in full-screen).

I'm using Mainstage for the first time, but I'm watching the MacProVideo tutorials about it, and sometimes the new version doesn't match what I'm seeing on the vids (like the lack of an on-screen button to Perform in a window, like you mentioned). Another interface change I've noticed is the lack of zoom controls on the Workspace. Does anybody know a way to zoom into the Workspace in the new version?

While I do agree with you that in theory at least, it would make sense to have software be bug free, or to ask the software developers to be accountable for the set of features they advertise, meaning to demand lifelong free upgrades until all bugs are free, I've realized over the years that it's just not a realistic solution. You have to come to terms with the fact that nothing is perfect in our world. And it's not just software. A few years ago I spent $25,000 building a small music studio. A few months after the work was done, cracks started appearing on the walls. A few years before that I spent about the same amount on a Toyota Highlander. If you open a window in the back while the Highlander is moving, it starts to make a noise so painful you have to either stop or close the window. Etc etc.

In the software world things are even more complex as you don't have control over all the conditions in which the software will be used. Developers don't know what CPU you're using, what screen you have, what plug-ins you've installed, what hardware you're trying to connect to the software etc. Each user's situation is unique and that can make troubleshooting a nightmare. And every time you change one thing, other things change. That means many times, when you fix a bug you create another.

So basically, at some point, developers have to "give up" on a specific version of their software, and start work on a new one. That's kinda done arbitrary, but to me, given the low price of a Logic Studio license, 2 years sounds reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought MS v2.2 two weeks ago and it lasted about 2 days before I reverted back to v2.1.3. For me, the CPU usage when idling was roughly tripled (~15% with 2.1.3 to ~50% with v2.2) and memory usage was roughly doubled. I also got 100% CPU spikes when changing to most patches.

This was just my experience but based on this, I wouldn't recommend the upgrade to anyone.

Madcow ..... that's concerning, and disheartening. I have fought with MainStage for years, and always had to abandon it. Still, it would be an ideal live performance solution. I was hoping 2.2 would fix things, but I am not ready to purchase and be burned again unless I hear some positive reports. Any software developer worth their salt read forum info to look for any trends or problems to investigate. Hard to believe there would still be a problem with memory or CPU usage.

jsbaker, I know exactly what you mean. I - and many other users I've read about - have had to compromise our ideal gig rigs and setups to try and accommodate MainStage's issues and shortcomings. I know that many have had to ditch certain plugins because MainStage simply can't handle them or too many instances of them. I mean, what's the point of including Space Designer if you can't use it because it needs too much CPU!

I used to run Ableton Live but it really wasn't configured to do what I wanted it to do. However, I NEVER had CPU, audio or memory issues. It staggers belief that Apple - with its multi-billion dollar cash reserves and world-class engineers - can't get this right and fix these problems. I know there's software around that doesn't have these issues running on slower computers with less RAM than I have. Crazy.

I love MainStage's concept but have to admit that I'm a bit anxious when doing live gigs with it. When I used a hardware rig, I never even had to think about it...stuff just worked. I've watched video of gigs I've done with MainStage and couldn't believe how much I fiddled with my MacBook Pro during the gig, constantly checking that everything was working properly. It almost makes me want to give up my software rig and go back to lugging racks of gear around. :?

• 4 weeks later...

Small question here: how can I "globally disable feedback protection across all patches"??

i'm sure it's a dumb one but i don't seem to find and MS screwed me last time i was on stage with that very annoying feature coming up when the front house engineer let some feedback happen...

thanks!

• 1 year later...