Logic 9.1.6 freezes when trying to open projects?

djleejordan

It could be the good old Prokit issue...

Try this.. (It fixes other file related besides what are listed in the support note)

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3968?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

But instead of trashing the one in your folder.. move it to the desktop and rename it.. then restart and install the one from that link and see if that fixes things.

If it doesn't, delete the newly installed version and move the original back to that folder (renaming it back to it's original name of course) and then restart again.

I'm having the same problem. While booting or when Logic opens a project directly, 9.1.6 goes straight to the spinning beach ball. I had to go backwards to 9.1, as apple in their infinite wisdom removed 9.1.5. You guys like to bash Avid, but you can always find all versions of PT on their site. This is ridiculous. Also, avid installer has provision to uninstall. No such thing with Logic. In case you didn't know, Apple has gotten rid of the pro audio division, and all remaining employees from emagic. Logic is going to be left to wither, just like Final Cut has been.

Seriously guys, do you not learn to back up the stuff you need before doing something like an update?

All it takes is to make a copy of the "Logic Pro" app, rename it to "Logic Pro 9.1.5" then run the update. If you don't like the latest version for whatever reason, it's trivial to revert. It takes 10 seconds... Or if your system drive is imaged (which it should be), then you can just copy the previous version from that and you're done.

FWIW I'm running 10.6.8 here, and haven't had any problems with the latest version.

Apple has gotten rid of the pro audio division, and all remaining employees from emagic. Logic is going to be left to wither, just like Final Cut has been.

Oh dear. So if none of the Logic developers remain, how exactly did they code this update..?

Apple has gotten rid of the pro audio division, and all remaining employees from emagic.

If that were true then maybe in the not too distant future the old emagic employees might end up releasing a new DAW with loads of features that were different in appearance yet somehow familiar in function to most of us.

I am having the exact same spinning beachball hang at the startup window. I have 10.6.8 and upgraded from 9. 1.5. Permissions were repaired and I even reinstalled the update trying to have a useable app again.

There is small comfort in not being the only one having this happen.

Thanks to everyone.

I also tried the ProKit delete and reinstall and no luck there either.

Is there anything displayed in the console window?

Does it load if you turn the audio engine off? (holding control when running Logic will let you do this)

I tried all of that, including pulling out all of the third party plugins, nothing would fix the spinning beach ball. Yes it's true, I should've made a copy of the Logic app before updating, but who would've thought that apple would release a completely botched update without a way of going backwards?

Bear in mind, if the latest version of Logic was "completely botched' then the rest of us here, would be having the same issue as yourself.

There has to be something amiss with your own system that is causing this... that doesn't affect the vast majority of users.

So... for those having this issue..., as Beej said.. check your console and see if there is anything going on in the logs that can help you identify the cause of the issue.

Does the Activity Monitor show anything going on when you get the SBOD? (Like MDS or MDworker using up a lot of CPU cycles?)

Oh.. and btw Guitarman.. where on earth did you get the idea that Apple has got rid of it's Pro Audio division? I'd love to know where you got this info from!

Does it load if you turn the audio engine off? (holding control when running Logic will let you do this)

Thanks for the attention. I reverted back to the 9.1.5 version I had on a backup and everything is fine there. I have to do a noise repair job for a legal case and will reinstall the update and post the console message after the job is done.

All the best

Apple has gotten rid of the pro audio division, and all remaining employees from emagic.

If that were true (...)

It's not true. The good old emagic team is alive and well and still working from Rellingen, in Germany. In fact some of the team sometimes post on this very forum.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=60383

If that were true (...)

It's not true. The good old emagic team is alive and well and still working from Rellingen, in Germany. In fact some of the team sometimes post on this very forum.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=60383

Well there you have it, that stops that piece of speculation in it's tracks - it's good to know that some of them visit here too.

Thanks for that David

Thanks for the attention. I reverted back to the 9.1.5 version I had on a backup and everything is fine there. I have to do a noise repair job for a legal case and will reinstall the update and post the console message after the job is done.

All the best

The console says" missing bundle identifier : for every single plugin I have. And they all work fine with 9.1.5. Strange

And turning the audio engine off didn't help at all.

The console says" missing bundle identifier : for every single plugin I have. And they all work fine with 9.1.5. Strange

Edit: Actually, when running 9.1.6 I get a bunch of these as well. I don't think it's a *problem*, as such... just a warning the pkg files (not the plugin files) have not got something Logic would expect...

9.1.5 also does it here as well (haven't tried other versions).

So I don't think this is anything to do with your issue.

And turning the audio engine off didn't help at all.

Hmm, well that would probably rule out a third-party plugin issue.

Try creating a new user account - does 9.1.6 run in that?

Does the Activity Monitor show anything going on when you get the SBOD? (Like MDS or MDworker using up a lot of CPU cycles?)

I ran the update earlier tonight, opened a project and bounced it to see the speed increase (which was good) then left Logic open for a few hours while I went out. When I came back the 32 bit bridge had crashed, my 14gb RAM was maxed out and then when I restarted the bridge the RAM usage dropped but then my mac had a kernel panic. I restarted using the power button and tried to relaunch Logic and it hung for a few minutes, and Activity Viewer did show MDworker using up to 45% CPU - what does that mean?

After force quitting and a couple more tries at realunching in 64 bit mode I made it to the Startup dialog box asking if I want to open the most recent project etc., but then it was unresponsive, with the beachball appearing for a good twenty seconds. I could eventually navigate to another project from there, but each change took 10-20 seconds of the spinning beachball to execute and the project loaded very slowly, I'm talking 5-6 minutes, when it used to take maybe 30 seconds even on a large, complex project.

Hitting play results in more beachball spinning, no audio and extremely sluggish response. I'm going to try restarting again and see what happens. I've repaired permissions. Might try reinstalling my Duet software too and see if that helps.

I have a Time Machine backup with 9.1.5, so all is not lost whatever happens.

Ran great.. then when I tried to save project Logic became unresponsive. Actvity monitor shows Logic has 71% cpu cycles... nothing else. Forced quit. Open Logic and it says my instance of the Kramer MPX caused a crashed and wouldn't opened. So I disabled it and it loaded but still wouldn't save, I uninstalled it and it still won't save. All projects will load up but if I try to save... spinning ball rears it's ugly head..

Don't get it.. I'm in 32bit also.

[sOLVED] i had demo of 112db Redline Monitor that had expired. Uninstalled it and reinstalled MPX and project saved. So far no more SBOD 0_0

Edited by blacksonaudio

Heavy activity by MDS and/or MDworker indicates Spotlight is working hard.... trying to index/re-index one or more of your drives...

This will result in the SBOD problems as well as very sluggish behavior/dropouts and so on..

Not sure why installing 9.1.6 causes Spotlight to kick in so heavily but probably because you may have also downloaded the additional content..... and so all that new data is having to be indexed?

One solution.. so long as you have checked that spotlight isn't trying to index a Fat/windows formatted drive... is to start up OS X and leave the computer alone for a couple of hours to let Spotlight finish it's indexing.. checking with the Activity monitor to see how busy MDS and/or MDworker are...

Once their CPU loads have dropped back down to normal (1-2%) levels it's ok to start using Logic again.

Heavy activity by MDS and/or MDworker indicates Spotlight is working hard.... trying to index/re-index one or more of your drives...

This will result in the SBOD problems as well as very sluggish behavior/dropouts and so on..

Not sure why installing 9.1.6 causes Spotlight to kick in so heavily but probably because you may have also downloaded the additional content..... and so all that new data is having to be indexed?

One solution.. so long as you have checked that spotlight isn't trying to index a Fat/windows formatted drive... is to start up OS X and leave the computer alone for a couple of hours to let Spotlight finish it's indexing.. checking with the Activity monitor to see how busy MDS and/or MDworker are...

Once their CPU loads have dropped back down to normal (1-2%) levels it's ok to start using Logic again.

YEAH... I am noticing that sluggish, fresh Lion system activity since installing 9.1.6. skipping mouse, sluggish keystrokes, etc... Spotlight was my next guess also. The crashes stop but it's still sluggish.. we'll see by tonight

Thanks. Seems to have been the case here at least. I also ran Diskwarrior on my system drive just to be sure it was ok, and it had a few errors. Today all seems ok.

After I shut the mac down last night though something weird happened during the night, I woke to hear the fans in the mac going at full power even though the mac was off! I had to turn it off at the power point to reset them. There were some heavy storms after I shut down, is it possible that there was a surge or something that caused the fans to come on even though the mac itself was off? That's never happened before.