Anyone know if an update for logic is on the way ?

The core overload issue is really killing me. ANyone know if this is something they are addressing or will they unveil logic 10 first.

No Core Audio overload issues here. Ever.

Try closing all other applications than Logic Pro. Turn off file sharing and Wi-Fi.

Make sure you have a least 8 Gb of RAM.

Disable hyperthreading and only use real cores (set this in Logic Pro audio preferences).

Use a buffer size of 256.

Disable 3rd party plug-ins until you find a possible culprit.

Use 32 bit mode.

Disable hyperthreading and only use real cores (set this in Logic Pro audio preferences).

Are you talking about "Processing Threads" under Prefs -> Audio ? If so, what setting are you recommending?

Use 32 bit mode.

I understand these are unrelated if you are troubleshooting. However, is there any advantage to having more than 6GB if Logic is in 32 bit mode and can only access about 3GB? Still a little confused on this issue.

Are you talking about "Processing Threads" under Prefs -> Audio ? If so, what setting are you recommending?

Set the number of threads to reflect the number of cores you have in your Mac.

However, is there any advantage to having more than 6GB if Logic is in 32 bit mode and can only access about 3GB? Still a little confused on this issue.

In my practical experience, 8 Gb of RAM is the magic number when it comes to letting the system and Logic work and breathe, even in 32 bit mode.

is there any advantage to having more than 6GB if Logic is in 32 bit mode and can only access about 3GB? Still a little confused on this issue.

Yes. You need more RAM for Mac OS X and any other applications or OS X services (i.e. Core Audio, Core MIDI, etc...).

In my experience 6 GB is fine but it's nowadays just as easy to buy 8 GB.

The core overload issue is really killing me. ANyone know if this is something they are addressing or will they unveil logic 10 first.

No Core Audio overload issues here. Ever.

Try closing all other applications than Logic Pro. Turn off file sharing and Wi-Fi.

Use a buffer size of 256.

Disable 3rd party plug-ins until you find a possible culprit.

Use 32 bit mode.

Lagerfeldt, I recall that you had the freezing/beachball at playback problem, which seems to be processor related since it goes away if you turn threads off..? Did you resolve that problem, and how, cause I have it on my 6 core and it is driving me NUTS and I don´t want to use only 2 threads.

best

Claesbjo

I had the pausing problem before playback yes. No beachball or permanent freezin, just the occasional but annoying 1-2 second pause.

It's gone now.

Updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard and Logic 9.1.3, as well as changing the number of processing threads.

Not a single problem since.

I can't say for sure if it was the updating or processing thread change that did the magic, but the hyperhreading was the reason for the rare glitch in the system when using I/O (I've tested this, took me a whole day to prove).

I had the pausing problem before playback yes. No beachball or permanent freezin, just the occasional but annoying 1-2 second pause.

It's gone now.

Updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard and Logic 9.1.3, as well as changing the number of processing threads.

Not a single problem since.

I can't say for sure if it was the updating or processing thread change that did the magic, but the hyperhreading was the reason for the rare glitch in the system when using I/O (I've tested this, took me a whole day to prove).

Wow, I've just tried this and a huge difference when previewing samples or playback on large projects. Thanks!

4 on my Quad Core, if i remember correctly.

So once you go above 2 threads it'll start with the problem?

Yes that seems to be the case. In general, there seem to be most problems with the I7 and Hexa based computers. My old mbp (c2d) never has this problem.

This thread sums it up pretty much..

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2439334&start=0&tstart=135

cheers

Claesbjo

It definitely is a bug.

The issue is that any instruments with multiple aux channels will only be processed by 1core

So let's say contact with 8 outs any insert on any aux is limited to one core.so you get core spikes despite having lots of processing power.

It is not a ram or interface issue but rather a poor implementation of sharing things over many cores.

I would try to delete the logic .plist (from User\library\preferences\) and try again.

done that. no change...I think all 6-core have the occasional freeze at playback, haven´t heard of any Hexa owner NOT having this problem..so I am eagerly awaiting an update that makes logic work 100% with the 6 core.

cheers

Claesbjo[/u]