nord micro + logic

daub

i've recently been given a nord micro modular, can anyone talk me through how to link up this up with my logic 7? manuals have been consulted and favours called in from friends "in the know" with no luck.

g4 dual 500 1.5g ram logic 7.0.1 osx 10.3.9

thanks for all help

quick and durty:

in environment layer new/instrument

on the left in parameters set up outgoing midi port and channel

new/audio object

in left params set "cha" to input and choose the input on soundcard you are routing the audio into.

Bare in mind you will need to record the audio at some stage unless you want to get into soundflower. The problem is that the effects you add into the "input objects" channel strip won't copy/paste to the audio track you will use to record the nords audio to. 1 way to get around this is by choosing a bus objects as your input objects output and using it to add effects. This way once you've recorded the dry signal from the Nord you can set the output of its audio track to the bus.

The reason i dont mention the "external instrument" plug-in is because of its (initial)limited access to automation from arrange.

In the modular editor you can assign knobs to midiCC's and use the "instrument objects" automation in the arrange to then automate these.

good luck

nothing happening so far, all instructions have been followed. i'm running a m-audio radium into my mac via usb, then thats coming from the audiophile 2496 into the nord via midi. anymore suggestions?

Make sure that the Micro Modular is receiving midi at right channel (channel can be changed by pressing SHIFT and twisting the knob 2 on Micro). If the channels match then see if your Radium is actually sending midi to Logic. Also make sure that the 2496 doesn't block the midi stream.

Any help?

i

Yep, both the radium and nord are on channel 1.

how do i find out if the 2496 is blocking the signal?

If i plug the radium straight into the nord i can play it no problem, very frustrating :?

Connect the midi out from 2496 to it's midi input and see if Logic receives midi or connect another midi instrument to 2496 midi out and see what happens.

Also make sure that you're not trying to play audio patch from Micro Modular.

i

I've connected the radium to the mac with midi, logic recieves the midi signal.

still nothing getting to the nord!

i'm not sure i get what you mean by an 'audio patch' i, i've tried changing patches on the nord, i'm aware that clavia have only brought out a beta version of the editor for OS X users, but i should be able to use the preset sounds, right?!

Hi.

Micro Modulars engine can process external audio (it has modules like vocoder and compressor etc.). You won't be hearing anything unless you put audio into these audio presets.

Note that there should be a blinking red lite at the bottom right corner of your Micro Modulars LCD when it receives midi. Do you see any activity there?

i

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Did you plug the soundcards midi out to midi in and watch Logics Transport if it sends and receives data. You do this by creating a midi instrument track and set its port correctly. Then just draw in some notes to the empty region and see if Transport gets signal in and send it out. Make sure that your Modular is on the same midi channel that you try to send data to it. Also make sure that you're not sending any bank change messages to Nord and that midi volume is set to 127 and that no transposition is on either in Logic or in your keyboard. Any activity at Nord? Can you get the Nord editor to work?

i

• 3 weeks later...

when pluged the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on my soundcard, the MIDI OUT on the transport was working but not the MIDI IN, which is strange because i know the IN works, thats how i play stuff into it.

i've downloaded the beta version of the editor (the original wont work with os x) but it wont pickup the micro unit

when pluged the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on my soundcard, the MIDI OUT on the transport was working but not the MIDI IN, which is strange because i know the IN works, thats how i play stuff into it.

i've downloaded the beta version of the editor (the original wont work with os x) but it wont pickup the micro unit

I thought that your keyboard is connected to computer by usb and not to your soundcards midi in. Seems like you haven't assigned the port settings correctly in Environment or that your soundcards driver (midi part of it) isn't installed/not working. Do you see your soundcard in OSX Audio Midi Utility at the midi Tab? (See picture below).

The problem might be the following:

Transport shows midi out activity because Logic is sending midi but it doesn't come out from your soundcards midi out and back to Logic. This is because your Radium is sending midi through usb. This however doesn't mean that midi is automatically outputted from your soundcards midi out. You need to create an Instrument object for your Micro Modular (since it's monophonic you don't need Multi Instrument object for it) into Environment and assign it's input port to Radium and output port to your soundcards midi out (assuming that it shows up at Audio Midi Utility (Logic Setup Assistant reads the info from there). This way the midi stream gets connected to Micro Modular.

Any help?

i

I thought that your keyboard is connected to computer by usb and not to your soundcards midi in. Seems like you haven't assigned the port settings correctly in Environment or that your soundcards driver (midi part of it) isn't installed/not working. Do you see your soundcard in OSX Audio Midi Utility at the midi Tab? (See picture below).

The problem might be the following:

Transport shows midi out activity because Logic is sending midi but it doesn't come out from your soundcards midi out and back to Logic. This is because your Radium is sending midi through usb. This however doesn't mean that midi is automatically outputted from your soundcards midi out. You need to create an Instrument object for your Micro Modular (since it's monophonic you don't need Multi Instrument object for it) into Environment and assign it's input port to Radium and output port to your soundcards midi out (assuming that it shows up at Audio Midi Utility (Logic Setup Assistant reads the info from there). This way the midi stream gets connected to Micro Modular.

Any help?

i

886357510_Kuva2.png.22da35bb02a05d71c709873abd7c8071.png

sorry my friend, i think i might have confused you.

:oops:

when i started the thread my radium was connected via USB, since then in an effort to solve the problem i switched to using MIDI from the keyboard to the soundcard.

what is the best way to connect the radium to the soundcard, USB or MIDI?

the soundcard does show up in the audio/midi utility window.

still battling away with this, all the help is so appreciated

sorry my friend, i think i might have confused you.

:oops:

when i started the thread my radium was connected via USB, since then in an effort to solve the problem i switched to using MIDI from the keyboard to the soundcard.

what is the best way to connect the radium to the soundcard, USB or MIDI?

the soundcard does show up in the audio/midi utility window.

still battling away with this, all the help is so appreciated

Sorry. I forgot to answer to your question.

Plug the Radium straight to computer by usb or to soundcard by using midi cord.

i

i think i might have just solved it!

with the audiophile 2496 you get a breakout cable with Midi in/out and s/pdif. the midi out cable seems to be broken! when i giggle it around little bursts of midi get through to the nord. unbelivable

:shock:

thanks for all your help i