What Happens to Deleted Audio Files?

ski

A thread I responded to over on the Apple/Logic forum brought up the subject of what actually happens to deleted audio files in Logic 8. One thing that seems to be clear: the behavior is very different from Logic 7. What I'm hoping this thread will bear out is a definitive explanation of what happens to newly recorded audio files when they're deleted.

We know that there are several ways of newly recorded audio files. One way is to delete them from the Arrange page, say, to immediately delete a bad take. When you select that newly recorded region and hit the delete key (backspace), a dialog box comes up asking if you want to delete or keep the files:

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/dar.jpg

As you can see, the dialog displays a warning: "Delete recorded audio file from disk? Can't undo this operation!" But by most accounts it would seem that this warning is not true. It was true in Logic 7, but apparently not Logic 8. (I'm saying "by all accounts" and "apparently" because I could swear I've seen a variety of different behaviors in L8, which I'll describe below).

In any case, in Logic 8 a newly recorded file that is immediately deleted is not deleted from the disk as the manual describes:

To delete an audio region that you have recorded since opening the project:

•Select the audio region, and press Backspace.

A dialog asks if you also want to erase the corresponding audio file. This saves hard drive space used by bad takes and unwanted recordings.

This is not what happens! (That is L7 behavior). In L8 the file is moved to the trash.

"Can't undo this operation..." That's not true either, because hitting undo 2x will restore the file to the audio bin. It doesn't place the region back in the arrange page, but it will restore the (supposedly) permanently deleted file.

Re the variety of behaviors I mentioned above... I could swear that immediately deleting bad takes from the arrange page doesn't result in my trash filling up with audio files. But then again, I don't peer into the trash on a regular basis so maybe I just missed the fact that this happens.

Having said that...

I did an experiment a little while ago where I recorded a file, hit delete (from the arrange page), hit undo 2x (which brings the file back into the bin) and then manually placed it back in the arrange window. Then I used the "delete file" operation from the bin and sure enough, that file didn't end up in the trash! I searched for it on the HD and it ended up being in a folder in my undo history. The name of the folder was the same as the deleted audio file.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I'm not being as careful as I should be in my experiments as I try to understand this behavior, but in any event I'm stumped as to how all this is supposed to work. So....

I'd love to see a consolidated explanation describing the circumstances by which a deleted file will be moved to the trash, or, moved to the undo history. Finally, I'd like to know if there's any circumstance under which Logic will actually delete an audio file permanently from the disk like it did in Logic 7.

Thanks.

Agreed delete dialogue boxes are relics from Logic 7.

Now, about your test.....

Did exactly the same thing (at least I think I did) and my file ended up in the trash when deleted from the bin tab. (Maybe you used the bin window?) Perhaps this is a preference issue (didn't see anything when looking for such). Perhaps an OS issue? (Here I tested on my G5/10.4.11.)

Lastly, I don't think Logic 8 does anything worse (despite the threats) than put the file in the trash. I like the feature - once last chance at redemption if needed.

• 4 years later...

found this post googling how to to GET RID of the dialog for delete recorded audio every time I want to actually GET RID of an audio track that I do not want.

Is there a way to prevent this dialog from forcing me to extra click on it and slowing my flow? no other daw forces this upon you so I am hopeful there is a way. Any input? thanks

No, you cannot get rid of that alert.

The reason is the Tracks area is meant for non destructive editing only. So when you do something destructive in the Tracks area, you get an alert. Note that you only get that alert when trying to delete a recent recording. When trying to delete an older recording you will not get any alert, the region disappears from the tracks area but the audio file itself is kept on your hard drive.

bummer so how do you suggest I handle recording several takes for a piece that is generally hard to play and requires several attempts for exemple? If I just undo the take with Z and they will add up in the bin. This is not very ideal. And dealing with the dialog is a pain and kills my flow.. can you suggest a better way?

Either you don't worry about files piling up in the Bin and - making sure you don't keep unused files in the bin - at the end of the day you select unused files in the Bin, and delete them in one operation, or you deal with the alert - but note that you can select the little "For all" button at the bottom left of that alert when deleting multiple regions - so you can do it in one move.