Voxengo AU COmpressor Demos

So I'm addicted to compressor plugins. Today I tried the Voxengo demos crunchessor and elephant. The first is a track compressor, the second an L2-ish mastering limiter. They're both great. I had been hearing about this line of plugs forever from the pc guys before they recently crossed over to OSX. I sincerely recommend that others try the demos.

I regularly use Sonalksis and PSP compressor plugs as well as the URS CSP and Logic 8's great comp too. But I found that crunchessor was yet another flavor entirely, and one that delivered good results fast. Several of the presets reminded me of Waves C1 and Renaissance compressors which I have always secretly envied the sound of but haven't had in a few years.

I pushed the crap out of a finished mix with Elephant - took a -15dB RMS -3 peak mix and pushed it up to -8dB RMS, -0.3 peak without even blinking. Far more than I should have crushed it and although there were some artifacts surrounding the overly boomy kick drum in the mix, it was still very tolerable. In this sense it outperformed Logic's adlimiter and the L1. At more modest settings I didn't prefer it any more than the other two limiters.

Bottom line: for relatively extreme compression settings, these two plugs seem to shine.