Multi Channel Instrument plug-in template

This environment includes mini-mixers for each one of the instruments I use the most: EWQLSO, MOTU Symphonic Orchestra and Stormdrum. The MIDI faders for the sub-channels of each multi are linked with the corresponding instrument and aux levels, so that adjusting the level on the Arrange Track's MIDI fader adjusts the level of the Aux object that has the corresponding intrument's output.

To use this environment with another multitimbral & multichannel software instrument:

You can import one of the mini-mixer layers into your own Autoload or template, and use it with any other multitimbral instrument. You'll also have to reinstantiate the inputs on the aux objects, and also import the Software Instrument layer.

[update] 02/08/2007

Sustain pedals and all controllers other than 7 through 10 are now transmitted to the plug-in.

Song start, end marker repositioned, locators cancelled (both on 1 1 1 1). You can't accidentally turn on the cycle by clicking in the Bar Ruler. Turning Cycle on always plays the whole song from the top.

The Arrange window now loads instantly.

Multi-Channel instruments.lso.zip

Edited by David Nahmani

...and the levels on the outputs control the levels on the multi-instruments sub-channels.

Thanks for the instructive template. It works well for me except when I cable my aux objects back to the multi (by manually dragging cables) the Aux Levels interferes with the level of the original audio inst. I finally found a technique in the Manual p.208 where I could cable precisely to the multi's subchannel.

Cabling between Layers

If the destination Object of the cable is on a different layer, you can connect it by using the Instrument List. To do this, hold Option as you grab the output triangle and scroll to the desired destination Object when the Instrument List appears.

Is this what you have to do in this case? Option clicking the output triangles instead of dragging cables? If so this is an important technique that might be little known to most.

I'm learning so much here. Thanks again,

Mark R.

Yes, that's how I cable anything that's not in the current layer. For example on this environment, that's how I cable all the multis in the 'Soft Instr.' layer into the 'MIDI In' transformers in their respective layer. That's also how you cable each channel strip back into the sub-channels of a multi.

Yes, that's how I cable anything that's not in the current layer.

What surprised me was that in this situation is that 'dragging cables' to connect objects graphically between two Environment windows does not work.

To connect to a sub-channel of a multi you MUST use the more precise 'Option clicking the output triangles' technique. Good to know.

Mark R.

David I am having big problems trying to get multis to work. I've tried all the ways suggested but to no avail. All I want to do is set up an orchestral template so that I can play back files that have been composed on Sibelius etc. I don't need to record live or compose using Logic. I get stuck from the point where you have to connect to the audio instrument. Also what is the absolute start point to setting all this up? I have asked questions before but I must be missing some vital action. I would be grateful for any help. I am a complete novice when it comes to Logic having used Cubase since it started all those years ago and Logic was E Magic Logic.

Thanks for your help before I go round the bend.

John.

• 1 month later...

Hello David and Thank you for your help.

I need some help now :-)

I have try your Multichannel enviroment many times in the last weeks but i can not modify the volume for the instruments.

I'm using it with Kontakt2.

I can only modify the volume for the first instrument on channel midi 1, the others dont work for me.

I have import the layers, have make self an enviroment and have load the Kontakt2 instrument in your enviroment, but no one for the 3 options work.

All make the same thing. The volume work not.

Sorry about my english it is not my language.

can you help me?

Thank you.

Hello David and Thank you for your help.

I need some help now :-)

I have try your Multichannel enviroment many times in the last weeks but i can not modify the volume for the instruments.

I'm using it with Kontakt2.

I can only modify the volume for the first instrument on channel midi 1, the others dont work for me.

I have import the layers, have make self an enviroment and have load the Kontakt2 instrument in your enviroment, but no one for the 3 options work.

All make the same thing. The volume work not.

Sorry about my english it is not my language.

can you help me?

Thank you.

Omar,

Do you think you could upload a screen shot of your enviornment or the song file you are trying to set up Kontakt 2 in. I just set up Kontakt 2 last week using David's method of cabling objects and it works fantastically. If you can upload a screen shot or the song file I think I can help you.

Hello Chris I´m here again .

This is how I have setup the Multichannel Enviroment from David for K2.

Maybe you can see what mistake i made.

see you

and Thank you.

Omar

Ok Omar, I've figured out where you went wrong. You have the enviornment set up correctly. Howver, you don't have the outputs in Kontakt set up correctly. So I attached the song again with appropriate changes in Kontakt.

Kontakt2-1.lso

Hello Chris !

I have try it.

but my logic crash when I try to modify volume....... (??)

But i have see what you have made i Kontakt will try to set up a new one.

Thank you, and if you have some idea why it crash let me know.

So I'm here again.

I have setpu the kontakt outs and this works fine.

but i can load only 7 instruments. If i try to load an instr. for channel 8 it sounds together with all other instruments. :-?

And an other thing: i can not set the instrument on left or rigth pan dont work.

I know maybe i ask to much... sorry.

I'm not sure what could cause the crash. Could you give some info about your setup...Version of Logic, G4 G5 Imac, tower or powerbook, version of Kontakt. I don't think kontakt caused this though, as I've never had any issues with it crashing Logic. Have you repaired permissions lately?

As far as the Outputs in Kontakt you can have mono or stereo outs or even up to 16 channel surround. You just need to configure each output accordingly. One thing to keep in mind is that no matter what, the audio inst. object that Kontakt is inserted on will always be stereo (output 1 and 2 of Kontakt).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello Chris and thank you again.

I have dig a little bit more in K2. Sometimes one must stop and read the Manuals. :-)

(anyway sometimes doesn´t help).

I think that i have it now and must say maybe I must dig deeper into the enviroment.

I see that composition today is not only writing notes, is much more.

Thank you again for your help.

Omar.

I am trying to get this to work. I get the idea of using the menus to set the cable destination. But I am missing something and I wonder if it's because I have Kompakt and not Kontakt? I can't seem to find anyway of routing the output of the Kompakt player to an aux. In the aux menu itself I can see inputs available from the EWSO but no way withing the Player to say where any instrument slot is being directed. I mean, you need to assign it from both ends, right? At least that's the way it works with the RMIV and the EXS.

Ok, I was pretty bleary when I made that last post. I have found my Kompakt manual and have got the outputs of the individual instruments in EWSO to different aux channels. I've also managed to link the aux faders with the individual slots in Kompakt. When I move an aux fader, the midi faders move too. But so does the main volume fader for Kompakt. And if I move the midi faders on the subchannels, the auxes don't move, just that one and the main volume for EWSO. So I think I'm barking up the wrong tree. Can anyone explain how I link the little midi faders to the aux channels? Would this be in the cabling menus of the multiInstrument itself? Nothing from there appears to be working.

Thanks,

Camillo

Ok, I was pretty bleary when I made that last post. I have found my Kompakt manual and have got the outputs of the individual instruments in EWSO to different aux channels. I've also managed to link the aux faders with the individual slots in Kompakt. When I move an aux fader, the midi faders move too. But so does the main volume fader for Kompakt. And if I move the midi faders on the subchannels, the auxes don't move, just that one and the main volume for EWSO. So I think I'm barking up the wrong tree. Can anyone explain how I link the little midi faders to the aux channels? Would this be in the cabling menus of the multiInstrument itself? Nothing from there appears to be working.

Thanks,

Camillo

Are all of the Aux channels cables back into the appropriat midi channel of the multi? It would be helpful to post a screenshot of the enviornment so we could see how you've cabled this.

Alright then, back again. I've just figured out how to poke around in David's template. Having an abysmal lack of environment knowlege, this is a bit of a slog. After I've had some quality time :twisted: rtfm-ing, maybe I'll have a few of the finer points to clear up later.

David,

I imported one of your Mini-Mixer setups and set it up as a Gold-Pro instrument.

I was able to get all the cables set up correctly so that everything worked the way you described.

The only problem I ran into was when I loaded a "DXF" patch on one of the sub channels the modwheel control does not work as it should. It only works correctly when it's loaded on the first "Audio Intstr." channel strip.

Is this true or am I doing something wrong?

Al