Full Orchestral Environment/Template

Owing to popular demand - here is my full orchestral template.

this is a starting point for an orchestral project. something to spot is the arrangement for the 2nd clarinet which in one piece doubled Eb clarinet.

the percussion page is a complete mess. i understand it (because i built it) but it sort of evolved as needs change. it reflects how a player can change from one piece of apparatus to another. you have to think of the players perspective at all times not only to make playable scores but also to create realistic mock-ups.

another thing to spot is the faders which convert panning info into fader info the direction mixer plug can understand. therefore i can adjust the pan on the track mixer and have stereo panning.

Full Orchestral 2.lso.zip

I believe a lot of people are curious to see what advanced Logic power-users are using Logic's environment for, and are downloading this to try to get an idea of what can be done.

Also, advanced users want to get inspired and steal some of your ideas, which accounts for a few more downloads!

Again, thank you and feel free to explain or ask if you think we can find a better way to do something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nothing external - although it can (and has) be used for that.

cable switchers are for changing between different audio instruments. for example, i may have a Bb clarinet doubling Eb clarinet, and i can use the cable switcher to route to a different audio instrument.

the transformers are to convert the program changes in my midi regions into controller data the esx instrument understands to switch articulations.

the whole point of all of this is to create a score that looks like a real score and not a whole series of tracks. so my score, with program changes inserted can switch articulations or even instruments.

I've followed all your posts--your full orch iso is brilliant. Is there any way you can post a short 8 bar ISO of a MIDI file which shows how you program different EXS24 articulations using VSL-I've read your posts over there. Along with Beat Kaufman's posts, yours are extremely helpful.

Thanks.

J Marti

• 3 months later...

This is one of the templates I use when I'm going to be starting on a big arrangement...

orc 06 zipped

and what it frequently ends up looking like...

example .jpg (yes the pic is a couple years old)

Things to note:

• Many Screensets are setup for dual monitors.

• Screenset 2 has a visual metronome.

• Auto and Key switchers for channels/instruments on VSTi's and Multi Instruments.

• Multi Instruments in the "MOLCP" Layer are blank because I have a text file database to paste in depending on what setup the PC's are using (Giga/Kontakt/Emulator X and instrumentation).

• Screenset 10 is for quick track to channel selection.

• Screenset 16 has the automation folder in right monitor.

• Screenset 17 is for setting parameters of the auto alternator.

• The layer labled "Objects" is where I keep some macros that I might need.

• In the layer labled "I/O" the PCM Return is coming back from Bus 1 so I can use it for any tracks.

• I don't use Score a lot in Logic because I have a MusicPad Pro that I use frequently and I'd just rather do any major score editing outside of Logic because of UI's and compatibility with other studios/composers.

About all I can think of atm.

Ash

• 1 month later...

Hi Rohan,

Looks very interesting, overwhelming(?).

You called this in the apple-discussions forum a startingpoint in using Logic.

Well I'm using Logic nearly a year now and I don't understand a thing about this template.

Could you explain this to me .For example I don't see any EXS installed yet and no samples and when opening this template I got a message that a few things were not there.

Until now I only use audio-instruments-tracks.

I have a Powermac G5, Logic with VSL Opus 1 and an usb keyboard connected to it.

Thanks in advance. Ron

Hi Rohan,

Well I'm using Logic nearly a year now and I don't understand a thing about this template.

Could you explain this to me .For example I don't see any EXS installed yet and no samples and when opening this template I got a message that a few things were not there.

I have a Powermac G5, Logic with VSL Opus 1 and an usb keyboard connected to it.

Thanks in advance. Ron

He didn't say that. He said it was a "starting point for an orchestral project". And it is quite a clever way of trying to make one Logic song serve two masters:sonic correctness and score prnitout.

This is not how I approace it. I first make a version that sound correct with different articulations using key switching some times and simp[y opening more tracks sometimes. I then merge sequences and do the proper text instructions that you woukd see on a "real" score.

That said, Rohan, very clever.

This is one of the templates I use when I'm going to be starting on a big arrangement...

orc 06 zipped

and what it frequently ends up looking like...

example .jpg (yes the pic is a couple years old)

Things to note:

• Many Screensets are setup for dual monitors.

• Screenset 2 has a visual metronome.

• Auto and Key switchers for channels/instruments on VSTi's and Multi Instruments.

• Multi Instruments in the "MOLCP" Layer are blank because I have a text file database to paste in depending on what setup the PC's are using (Giga/Kontakt/Emulator X and instrumentation).

• Screenset 10 is for quick track to channel selection.

• Screenset 16 has the automation folder in right monitor.

• Screenset 17 is for setting parameters of the auto alternator.

• The layer labled "Objects" is where I keep some macros that I might need.

• In the layer labled "I/O" the PCM Return is coming back from Bus 1 so I can use it for any tracks.

• I don't use Score a lot in Logic because I have a MusicPad Pro that I use frequently and I'd just rather do any major score editing outside of Logic because of UI's and compatibility with other studios/composers.

About all I can think of atm.

Ash

Can you please explain what you use the macros for and how?

Well I was too quick .

It looks (and is) complicated ,but I now understand a few parts of it.

The dir mixer part is very clever, should be a basic option in Logic itself.

Don't understand why the panning is not the same though.

For example when the pan for violin is 0 the dirmeter gives a +12.

And still a beginner I don't understand how this template can give different articulations of the same instrument on one track.

and that cable switcher part is also abacadabra to me.

And why do for example the strings go to bus 1 and 2 ,while bus 1 is for strings and bus 2 is for woodwinds (both mono) ?

(By the way he did say that ,not here but on the apple site forum.)

Still an interesting template. Thanks for this.

Rohan, Å Witt, Jay

It's great of you guys to post your work--it really helps me a struggling composer. Quick question:

Do you have a workable Logic Score template for publishing song lead sheets with lyrics--typical professional Piano Treble/Bass clef with lyrics ready to be typeset?

Logic's score features are excellent, they work exactly as detailed in the manual, tho it takes some trial and error. I've experimented with different fonts, global preferences, but I thought it would be interesting to exchange templates which could save users many hours of frustration, especially templates that have been used to successfully publish and copyright songs.

IIf you have a tried and true template you like with fonts, spacing, # of staves/page, etc. could you post one? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J Marti

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rohan,

Thanks in advance. Ron

Hi Ron,

As Asher pointed out, this template serves as a 'template' to start an orchestral project. i would fully expect someone else to have a completely different template with different instruments loaded etc. this shows the structure of an environment in order to make my scores look as they should sound. because of this i can go from a very realistic mock-up to printing a score and parts in just a couple of hours. and for the kind of work i do which is mostly film/tv underscores it is truly invaluable.

what you are seeing with respect of the SIGNAL FLOW - the notes are displayed on each instrument and the articulation switches in my case are triggered by program changes. so follow the path from the arrange to the environment. they pass through transformers which turn those program changes into whatever will trigger the articulation switches on the audio instrument. it could be key switching, or it could be midi channel, or it could be cc1 (or any other cc value) as it is my case for my homemade customized esx insts.

by having those GM insts as the instruments on my arrange page, i can manipualte data on the way to the esx instrument. this is the power of logic - i have smashed into the kind of shape i want it to take. it works like a charm.

Well I was too quick .

It looks (and is) complicated ,but I now understand a few parts of it.

The dir mixer part is very clever, should be a basic option in Logic itself.

Don't understand why the panning is not the same though.

For example when the pan for violin is 0 the dirmeter gives a +12.

And still a beginner I don't understand how this template can give different articulations of the same instrument on one track.

and that cable switcher part is also abacadabra to me.

And why do for example the strings go to bus 1 and 2 ,while bus 1 is for strings and bus 2 is for woodwinds (both mono) ?

(By the way he did say that ,not here but on the apple site forum.)

Still an interesting template. Thanks for this.

hi ron,

the dir SHOULD be a basic part of logic i agree. i think that opening up my template in your setup has done weird things. try jiggling the pan and seeing if that sorts things out.

the busses should most definitely be in stereo. - i think you have have 'universal track mode' switched off. try switching it on (RTFM for how) and re-opening the template.

and if you move the pan on the track mixer or midi track? the dir mixer ought to line up correctly. possibly the dir mixer was adjusted at some stage without moving the pan. who knows why.

to be honest, this little trick is not that important. you just need to set a dir mixer once and leave it. after all, the violins aren't just going jump up in the middle playing and move to the other side of the room are they?

The pan works fine.

RonH, you have to use the pan on the Arrange MIDI track to control the Direction Mixer which is inserted on the corresponding Audio Object.

I usually add a feedback cabling from the Audio Object back to the MIDI instrument so that moving the Direction Mixer updates the pan on the Arrange track.

It all depends on your work. If you never actually open the Direction Mixer, and always use the Pan on the Arrange Track, then you're fine. But I like to be able to pan from anywhere, and have the other pan knob update its position accordingly.

When I move the pan of the violin miditrack in the arr. window the dir mixer jumps to +12 and returns there when I return to pan 0, this happens with all instruments.

Isn't that important ofcause, but strange it is. :?

Have to live with it. :cry: :wink:

Thanks for your answers.