Multiband Processing in LP8 for . . . Anything!

fader8

An often requested feature is a crossover plug-in that allows independent processing of individual signal bandwidths. While the RND Splizer is a most excellent plug-in for this, here's a way to do it just as well with standard Logic plug-ins.

1. On the audio track that you want to affect, set its output to bus 10.

2. Create 4 aux's and set their inputs to bus 10.

3. In the top slot of of aux 1, insert a Multipressor. In the Multipressor, option-click all the ratio parameters to set them to 1, basically disabling the compression.

4. In the arrange mixer pane, option-drag the Multipressor with the hand tool to copy it to the top slot of aux's 2, 3 and 4.

5. Open Multipressor 1 and solo the low band. Open Multipressor 2 and solo the low-mid band, then Multipressor 3 and 4 respectively with the mid-high and high band.

Now you're utilizing the excellent linear phase crossover built into the Multipressor. Insert whatever effects you like in the slots below the Multipressor in these aux's.

So if you want that gated reverb just on the top end, with an autofilter on the low-mid and a keyed compressor on the bottom, go for it!

Cool, eh?

Don't forget, if you change crossover frequencies in one of the Multipressors, be sure to change its neighbor to match!

Edit: I've attached a project using this in case my directions aren't quite clear. It's a gratuitous molestation of an unsuspecting Apple Loop.

fader8_multiproc.zip

Just tried it out and The possibilities that come to mind with this technique just put a big SMILE on my face. :D

Thanks again. :D

BTW... Have you ever though about writing a book on mixing? I'm sure most if not all the people on this board would buy it. :D

Edited by ChicoSatis

Hi.

Thanks fader8 nice invention.

Multiband processing can also be achieved by using Logic's Linear Phase EQs. By using Linear Phase EQs one has more control over crossover points and one is not tied to only four frequency bands as when using Multipressor. With Linear Phase EQs you can also adjust the slopes of the filters which is not possible in Multipressor. In the example below I used 48dB/Oct slopes.

Thanks,

i

i_LinPhaEQ_SplitTest.zip

4. In the arrange mixer pane, option-drag the Multipressor with the hand tool to copy it to the top slot of aux's 2, 3 and 4.

...Or choose all four Auxes in the mixer and insert Multipressor into one of them. LP8 has a function which inserts selected plugin to all selected Channel Strips. Too bad that this function doesn't work when selecting Channel Strip presets though.

i

Multiband processing can also be achieved by using Logic's Linear Phase EQs. By using Linear Phase EQs one has more control over crossover points and one is not tied to only four frequency bands as when using Multipressor.

True, but here's the rub. Those filter shapes were not designed as crossovers originally. You won't come through that with the same equal gain signal integrity at the crossover points. For an electronic track, or anything you just want to mangle up, you might not care. But if you want to do something subtle to a pristine vocal track, then I wouldn't recommend setting up the filters yourself.

...Or choose all four Auxes in the mixer and insert Multipressor into one of them. LP8 has a function which inserts selected plugin to all selected Channel Strips.

The problem with that is you then have to go in and change the settings, ie disable the comp and lookahead, in all of them. Logic doesn't have the convenient option-drag to copy "just settings" feature like Pro Tools.

• 3 months later...
could have used this today LOL

There's always a next time!

eggman, sorry I didn't see your post til now. The advantage to using the filters built into the Multipressor is that they are designed to be crossover filters. Typically that means they are precision Linkwitz-Reilly filters. These types of filters are nearly impossible to model with a parametric linear EQ, and its even more problematic when you just want to change the crossover frequency. The Multipressor gives you a nice packaged set of filters designed just for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting application comes to mind. Now I can use any frequency range to trigger compression of any other frequency range.

For example: Suppose I want to compress only the high frequencies but use the low frequencies to trigger the compression. Now I can slap a compressor on the Aux 4 (highs.) and set it's sidechain to Aux 1 (lows).

Thanks for this creative tip.

• 1 month later...

Just read this thread. So good. Could anyone please explain the difference of using 4 aux tracks compared to 4 normal audio tracks (with both sent to the bus). Also, could someone please explain the use of an aux track as I have never really understood what they do.

Thanks, Thomas

could someone please explain the use of an aux track as I have never really understood what they do.

We've had many a discussion here on this topic. Try this for starters:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=23424

Then if you are still cloudy on it, post a new topic in the Logic forum, as this forum isn't for new questions.

Fader8, that link has cleared things up thank you. Apologies for trying to change the topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
For effects lin phase eq would filter fine, but I agree with fader8, if you want the crossover to sound transparent, you do not want to set up the filters manually. The multipressor provides great equal power crossovers and you can indeed do more than 4 bands with multipressor. You are using multiple plugin instances and you're soloing a single band, so technically you could have infinite bands using multipressor plugins. It would get a bit confusing no doubt, but as long as a band in the next compressor butts up against the soloed band from the previous channel, it will work perfectly with any number of bands.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...