No meter on "Master" Out?

WilliamH9

I'm positive I'm missing something obvious: (sorry if n00b question)

Why isn't there a meter on "Master" output meter?

ie:

as I add less than 0db instruments, how can I tell if they accumulate to peak at the master fader with no meter?

thanks in advance,

William H

out_nometer.thumb.png.0dbf9e36df9352caf68a6ac8d264de0b.png

The master fader is a fader that affects the level on all your output channel strips. It is not a channel strip in itself and does not have any audio signal going through it, therefore there is nothing to meter. In a stereo mixing situation, the master fader object in the mixer is redundant with the fader on the Out 1-2 Channel Strip and should be left alone (on 0 dB) to avoid any confusion.

The master fader doesn't effect any of the outputs. Think of it as a studio volume control. If you need to turn down the mix without worrying about messing up a bounce, that's the one to use!

The master fade will change the physical volume of all of the outputs together, but won't change the software volume and so doesn't require any meters.

Edit: David beat me to it!

This forum should have a warning page that tells you when someone posts a reply as you are posting yours. There are plugins for phpBB that do this.

The master fader doesn't effect any of the outputs. Think of it as a studio volume control. If you need to turn down the mix without worrying about messing up a bounce, that's the one to use!

The master fade will change the physical volume of all of the outputs together, but won't change the software volume and so doesn't require any meters.

I think the way you describe it is a little confusing. Unlike a monitoring volume control, the master fader DOES affect the level on your output channel strips (that's its role), therefore it does affect the volume of your bounced file. Just wanted to make that clear.

The master fader doesn't effect any of the outputs. Think of it as a studio volume control.

OK let's not leave this thread on this note... to clarify what David said...the master fader effects the level going to ALL of your outputs at the same time. It is a crucial setting and is NOT the studio volume control. In fact, that innocuous little fader on the right side of transport IS also the master fader and not the studio monitor levels. I suggest removing it from the transport or, at the very least making sure that it is a unity gain by clicking on its right speaker icon. (You can dim the outputs by a preset amount, which is set in your audio preferences, by clicking on its left speaker icon.

Remember, the master fader, is not the monitor levels!

Hey David and Steve,

Thanks for explaining this in great detail. Coming from a PT background, I've always been a little confused by the difference between the master fader and the main outs (Outputs 1-2).

So just to clarify (and I think this was actually brought up awhile back by someone else on the forum). The master fader should always be set at unity gain - and by leaving the master at unity, this allows you to adjust the main Outputs 1-2 without affecting the gain structure, correct?

As an example - I usually like to give the mastering engineer anywhere from 2-4db of headroom. If I have a large session with a ton of automation data and I need to bring everything down at the final mix a few db, I can just adjust Outputs 1-2 accordingly (as long as the master is set at unity), instead of going through and having to manually adjust each tracks volume automation?

Thanks everyone for clearing this up and thanks David for the info regarding RBA and TBA from another thread.

As it stands, this fader probably doesn't make a lot of sense, however, when working with a surround mix, you can think of it as the Master Surround out level, as it will change all physical output volume levels in unison.

So, in this scenario, it can be used for example, to bring down all the outputs of a surround mix evenly.. with one volume automation track.

When working in stereo with Out 1-2 only, it doesn't make a lot of sense to change the Master fader volume, as you would simply automate Out 1-2.

As an example - I usually like to give the mastering engineer anywhere from 2-4db of headroom. If I have a large session with a ton of automation data and I need to bring everything down at the final mix a few db, I can just adjust Outputs 1-2 accordingly (as long as the master is set at unity), instead of going through and having to manually adjust each tracks volume automation?

Yes. And what both Steve and Matrixx said is correct too...